Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Ticknall, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.316-317
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page

Is the surname HATTON mentioned in your Ticknall pre 185 wills or old documents?
If so, please
email webmistress
TICKNALL (or TICKENHALL) is a village and parish, 3 miles south-west from Melbourne station on the Derby and Ash by branch or the Midland railway, 9 south from Derby, 8 east from Burton-upon-Trent and 5 north-by-west from Ashby-de-Ia-Zouch, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Repton petty sessional division, Ashby-de-la-Zouch union and county court district, rural deanery of Melbourne, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The village is upwards of a mile and a half long. A portion of Southwood, together with detached portions of Repton, known as "Scaddows," "Southwood" and "Sicknall" village, have been annexed to Ticknall for union and rating purposes. There was a chapel here in the early part of the 13th century, dedicated to St. Thomas à Becket and confirmed to the priory of Repton in 1271, and two fragments of the old fabric, consisting of a part of the north aisle and south-west angle of the tower, both Early Decorated work of the 13th century, remain in the churchyard. The present church of St. George, standing some 50 yards north of the site of its predecessor and rebuilt in 1842, at a cost of £4,000, principally due to the munificence of the late Sir George Crewe bart. is an edifice of stone, in the Perpendicular style, from designs by Mr. Stephens, of Derby, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north vestry, south porch and an embattled western tower with spire, containing a clock and 6 bells, all cast in 1846 : against the north wall is a slab of white marble, with the boldly incised effigy of a knight in plate armour and a marginal but imperfect inscription to John Franceys, c. 1360 ; inserted in the south chancel wall is a monument to Rachel, daughter of Gilbert Ward and wife of John Hanson (1636) : in the south wall beneath an arched recess is an effigy in stone of a civilian holding a heart in his hands and probably intended for William Francis, regarded as the refounder of the church in 1325: the spire was restored in 1886 and a new oak pulpit and reading desk introduced : there is a memorial window, erected in 1886 to the Rev. Richardson Cox M.A. late vicar, by the parishioners : the church affords 667 sittings, 397 being free. The register dates from the year 1626, but is somewhat irregular from 1646 to 1657: the older register, now lost, began in 1589 : churchwardens' accounts exist from 1728 and those of the constables from 1708. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge commuted with other fees at £50 yearly, subject to the septennial valuation, and 83 acres of glebe, value £182, with a surcharge of £10 I0s. a year upon the Calke estate, net £243, with residence, in the gift of Sir Vauncey Harpur Crewe bart. and held since 1885 by the Rev. Thomas James Jones B.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. There are Wesleyan and Baptist chapels here. There is a hospital for seven decayed housekeepers, founded and endowed with £2,000 in 1771 by Charles Harpur esq. and several other charities, furnishing 13 stones of bread weekly for widows and orphans. Here are works and kilns for burning lime. Sir Vauncey Harpur Crewe bart. of Calke, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is gravel ; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The acreage is 2,590; rateable value, £4,185; the population in 1881 was 935.

Parish Clerk, Alfred J. L. Hickinbotham.

POST OFFICE.-Mrs. Anne Hatton, receiver. Letters arrive from Derby by mail cart at 6.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.30 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Melbourne

Endowed School (mixed), erected about 1844 ; average attendance, mixed 116 ; infants 50 ; with separate class room, built in 1887, for infants. The endowment of Lady Catherine Harpur (about 1780), now (1890) of £34 yearly value, has been secured to the present parochial schools ; Harry Harrison, master; Mrs. Emily Jane Harrison, sewing mistress ; Miss Mary Ann Lowe, infants' mistress

ASHBY-DB-LA-ZOUCH-Mrs. Martha Cartlidge, every sat
BURTON-UPON-TRENT-John Hanson. every thurs. & sat
DERBY-Mrs. Martha Cartlidge, every mon. wed. & fri. ; John Hanson, every tues. & fri -

Dick William Robertson
Dumelow Mrs.
Hall William
Hayes Mrs
Jones Rev. Thos. James M.A. [vicar], The Vicarage
Millward Mrs.
Orrell Rev. Thomas [vicar of Foremark & chaplain of Calke]

Armson John, farmer, Southwood
Armson Robert, market gardener
Atkin George, shopkeeper
Betteridge George, Wheel inn
Bosworth Reuben, farmer
Brearley Henry, draper & grocer
Bromley Frederick, farmer
Brooks John, shoe maker
Cartlidge Charles, tailor
Cartlidge George, blacksmith
Cartlidge Martha (Mrs.) carrier
Cartlidge Rowland, shoe maker
Cater George, tailor
Charlesworth Sarah Elizabeth (Mrs.), Royal Oak P.H. & farmer
Charville Thomas, farmer & deputy steward to Sir V. H. Crewe bart
Cheatle Benjamin Patrick, farmer
Cook John, earthenware dealer
Cross Andrew, wheelwright
Dexter Henry, farmer
Dexter Richard, farmer
Dick William, surveyor, & author of "Inscriptions & Devices in the Beauchamp Tower, Tower of London"
Dumelow John, farmer, Southwood
Dumelow Samuel, farmer
Flint Richard, farmer
Freeman William, shopkeeper
Greenwood Wm. Jas. draper & clothier
Hallifield Joseph, shopkeeper
Hanson John, carrier
Hatton Thomas, painter & glazier
Heath John, farmer, Southwood
Henson Arnold, farmer
Hickinbotham Christopher, farmer
Hulse Henry, blacksmith
Hutchinson Fredk. farmer & pig dealer
Insley Henry, farmer, Pistern hill
Lawley John, Chequers P.H
Marriott Peter, carpenter & builder
Mason John, joiner
Mason Thomas, butcher
Minion George, blacksmith
Peace George, shopkeeper
Richardson In. Jas. beer ret. & shopkpr
Soar Eliza (Mrs.), beer retailer & baker
Soar William, farmer, Southwood
Storer Benjamin, joiner
Swann Herbert Hambrey, boot & shoe dealer & joiner
Taylor Mary (Mrs.), market gardener
Topliss George, carman & coal dealer
Toplis Henry, farmer
Wardle John, tailor
Wilkinson Hannah (Mrs.), farmer, South wood
Wood Charles, carpenter

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Ticknall and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills