Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Wormhill, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.335-6
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
WORMHILL is a township, village and parish, formed in 1359 from Tideswell, 2¼ miles south-west from Tideswell, and 1½ miles north-east from Miller's Dale station on the Ambergate and Manchester section of the Midland railway, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, Chapel-en-le-Frith union and county court district, petty sessional division and rural deanery of Buxton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The village is pleasantly situated, and screened from the north and east winds by a lofty range of hills. The church of St. Margaret, entirely restored in 1864, when almost every trace of the ancient building was obliterated, is an edifice of Derbyshire stone, in the Late Decorated Gothic style, nearly covered with ivy, and consists of chancel, nave, vestry, south porch and a western tower, partly rebuilt in 1863, with four gabled wall and a high-pitched spire-like roof, said to have been copied from the well-known Saxon tower of Sompting church, near Lancing, in Sussex ; it contains 6 small bells, cast in 1863 : this church was formerly a chapelry, founded about 1213, when Ralph de Sempringham, dean of Lichfield, as rector of Tideswell, gave leave to the inhabitants of Wormhill to erect a chapel, finding their own chaplain ; the vestry, and the lower part of the tower are the only portions remaining of the ancient church : the old priests' doorway has been restored, but is no longer used: there are three small stained windows and a font of Sicilian, Kynance and Derbyshire marbles, recently (1890) placed in the church as a memorial to the Rev. A. Bagshawe, for 40 years vicar of this parish : the churchyard, planted with trees and shrubs and fenced round with yew tree and holly, contains the remains of an old cross, consisting of two sets of square steps, a large base stone and about 3 feet of the shaft supporting a dial, the gift of Robert Meverill gent. 1670 ; two fine yew trees stand on each side of the entrance and form a covered gateway : there are a 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1670. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, arising from 291 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of seven trustees. A charity of £7 5s. yearly, left by the Rev. Francis Gisborne, sometime rector of Staveley, is for clothing : there are other charities of about 30s. yearly. A drinking fountain of white Derbyshire freestone, with masonic emblems, was erected here in 1875, in memory of James Brindley, civil engineer, who was born at Tunstead, in this parish, in 1716, and was employed by the Duke of Bridgewater in the construction of his canals, and died at Turnhurst, Staffs, 30 Sept. 1772. Chee Tor is a mass of rock, distant half-a-mile, and rising from the dale in which it stands to a height of 350 feet; the river Wye sweeps round it in a semicircular form, and from base to summit it presents an unbroken surface: the surrounding scenery is of a varied and romantic description. Wormhill Hall, the property of F. W. Bagshawe esq. now occupied by J. Deakin esq. is an old stone structure in the Elizabethan style, pleasantly situated south of the village ; the Hall has been thoroughly restored and many additions have been made to it. F. W. Bagshawe esq. of The Oaks, Sheffield, who is the principal landowner, T. Fleming esq. W. Hope esq. the trustees of the late Col. Charles Leslie K.H. (d. 1870), W. H. G. Bagshawe esq. of Ford Hall, and William Swann esq. are landowners. There are no manorial rights. The soil is light, on limestone. The chief crops are oats, turnips and hay. The area is 4,657 acres; rateable value, £14,192; the population in 1881 was 953.

HARGATE WALL, HIGHER and LOWER BIBBINGTON, GREAT ROCKS DALE, UPPER END, TUNSTEAD, BLACKWELL MILL and MILLER'S DALE are hamlets here. Part of Miller's Dale is in Tideswell ; for full particulars and list of residents, see Tideswell. At Dove Holes Dale, 2½ miles north-east from the village of Peak Forest, is the Peak Forest station of the Midland railway. Miller's Dale station, on the same line, is 2½ miles from Tideswell, and there is a station at Dove Holes on the London and North Western railway. The church, at Upper End, erected in 1886, at a cost of £1,400, is a building of stone in modern Gothic style, consisting of chancel and nave and an unfinished western tower containing one bell : there are sittings for 200 persons. In 1890 a burial ground of half an acre, granted by F. W. Bagshawe esq. was consecrated by the Bishop of Southwell. The parish room, built at the same time as the church, will hold 200. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Great Rocks, built in 1885, and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Upper End, erected in 1887.

Sexton, William Redfern.

POST OFFICE.-Robert Mosley, receiver. Letters through Stockport, arrive at 7.30 a. m. ; departure 5.15 p.m. week days only. The nearest money order office is at Tideswell. The telegraph office is at MilIer's Dale railway station

POST & M. O. Miller's Dale, at Railway station.-William Whitmore, receiver. Letters through Stockport at 7 p.m.; departure, 5.30 p.m. week days only. The nearest money order office is at Tideswell

WALL LETTER BOX, Peak Forest station, cleared at 6 p.m

SCHOOLS :- A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1882 for Wormhill ; F. S. Goodwin, Bakewell, clerk ; -Carter, Tideswell, attendance officer
Board, Upper End (mixed), erected in 1882, at a cost, inclusive of site, of £1,400, for 200 children; average attendance, 130; Rolf Arthan, master; Mrs. Louisa E. Arthan, mistress
Church of England, rebuilt by the late Rev. William Bagshawe M.A. & enlarged by the then vicar in 1871 for 80 children ; average attendance, 50 ; the master s house was enlarged by the vicar in 1885; Charles Joseph Burnett Ellis, master; Mrs. E. Ellis, mistress

Miller's Dale, William Whitmore, station master
Dove Holes Dale, called the Peak Forest, which is 2½ miles from the village of Peak Forest; Wm. Farrow, statn. mast

Burton William W. Cottiswood
Deakin John, Wormhill hall
Friverleer William

Austin Paul, farmer
Bagshaw Boaz, wheelwright
Beverley Thomas, farmer, Hargate wall
Bibbington Samuel (the exors. of), lime burners, Dove holes
Bold Venture Lime Works (Gaskell, Deacon & Co. proprs.), Dove Holes dale
Boyd Richard, farmer, Great rocks
Bradwell Martha (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Bramwell Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Tunstead
Bramwell John, farmer, Tunstead
Brittain Chas. grocer, Dove Holes dale
Burgess Peter, shopkeeper, Dove Holes dale
Cartledge Geo. farmer & smith, Hill
Dakin Joseph, farmer, Hargate wall
Garlick Joseph, Dale head
Great Rocks Industrial Co-operative Stores (John Henry Widdowson, manager), Dove Holes dale
Great Rocks Lime & Stone Company (John Ashwell, managing director ; Alfd.Hy. Jackson, sec.), Dove Holes dale
Hadfield Isaac, frmr. & butchr. Dove holes
Hadfield Walter, grocer, Upper end
Handley John, farmer, Hill
Howe Jonathan, farmer, Tunstead
Lees William, farmer, Chapel Steads
Lees William, farmer, Great rocks
Lomas Robert, farmer, Dove holes
Longden Richard, farmer
Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway Stone Quarries (John Wilshaw, manager), Dove Holes dale
Marrison Joseph, farmer, Tunstead
Mosley Henry Edward, farmer
Mosley Robert, farmer, Post office
Mosley Thomas, farmer, Meadow
Needham Thomas, Bagshawe Arms P.H
Peak Forest Lime & Stone Works (Jsph. Wainwright, propr.), Dove Holes dale
Potter Jonathan, farmer, Hill
Proudlove Henry, shopkeeper, Upper end
Redfern William, farmer
Redfern William, jun. farmer
Sheldon Alfred, beer retailr. Dove holes
Small Dale Lime Works (Thos. Beswick & Sons, proprietors), Dove Holes dale
Smith Mary Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Upper end
Stafford Joseph, Midland commercial hotel & posting house, Dove Holes dale
Swann William, farmer & landowner, Hargate wall
Taylor Robert, farmer
Turner William, farmer, Upper end
Wainwright Henry, farmer, Tunstead
Wainwright Joseph, farmer, Great rocks
Warhurst Isaac, farmer, Meadow
Warhurst Isaac, jun., farmer, Meadow
Wilshaw George, farmer & assistant overseer, Miller's dale
Wilshaw John, farmer, Dove holes
Wright Joseph, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Wormhill and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills