|Old Derbyshire Maps Index> This page|
|Old Derbyshire Maps|
|A Genealogy and Local History Resource on The Andrews Pages web site|
|Chatsworth and Vicinity, 1864|
This mid nineteenth century map is from the fourth edition of "Black's Tourist Guide to Derbyshire" and was drawn and engraved by J. Bartholomew of Edinburgh.
The railway line had been built a few years before. The Guide shows Chatsworth as being 2½ miles from Rowsley Station and 3 miles from Hassop Station. Visitors could take an omnibus from the station, which met the trains, and would have been charged 6d for the trip to Chatsworth. Bakewell was 4 miles away, Matlock 10 miles and Buxton 14 miles and excursions were also available from the three towns. The house was described as "a mansion fit for a king" and "as the hour of eleven arrives, there are generally several parties outside the richly gilded gates of wrought iron, waiting for the time of admission".
1880 - lovely print from a book, with associated text.
View Magic Lantern Slide of Chatsworth House (this will open in a new window or tab)
Other places shown on this map:
An artist who painted Chatsworth & Haddon