Above is the view of the chancel from the nave. This picture was
a familiar site to anyone who boarded at Queen Elizabeth's
Grammar School. When the pupils attended Sunday Matins they
sat in the pews almost level with where the photographer would
have stood to take this picture.
St. Oswald's chancel is mostly Early English in style but
there is a Perpendicular east window above the altar. There
is no north aisle next to the nave but the south aisle is divided
from the nave by four Decorated arches on "handsome" columns,
some of which are shown on the right.
The brass lectern, in the crossing, was presented to the church
in 1878 by the grandchildren of Lady Bent, in her memory.
A peal of 8 bells, dating from 1815, are in the tower
above the crossing as well as an ancient sanctus bell. Although
the bell ropes can't be seen, the bell ringers
(campanologists) assemble below the tower.
Capital in the South Arcade
||On the left of the picture, on the far
side of the buttress, is the north transept
and a small part of the Boothby Chapel can be seen on the
far side. Many
of the churches important monuments and tombs are to be
found both inside and just outside the Boothby Chapel.
Monument to Penelope Boothby, Boothby Chapel, North Transept
Penelope died her parents commissioned this wonderful
white marble tomb from Thomas Banks, R.A. According to Pevsner,
Queen Caroline is supposed to have cried when she saw the statue
at the Royal Academy exhibition.
Charles Cox remarked that
"this exquisite work of art has been often described,
but by no one more successfully than by the Rev. D. P. Davies,
"Nobody ought ever to overlook this tomb,
as it is, perhaps, the most interesting and pathetic object
in England. Simplicity and
elegance appeal in the workmanship; tenderness and innocence
in the image. On a marble pedestal and slab, like a low table,
is a mattress, with a child lying on it, both being cut out
of white marble. Her cheek, expressive of suffering mildness,
reclines on a pillow; and her little fevered hands gently rest
on each other, near to her head. The plain and only drapery
is a frock, the skirt flowing easily out before, and a ribbon
sash, the knot twisted forward, as it were, by the restlessness
of pain, and the two ends spread out in the same direction
as the frock. The delicate naked feet are carelessly folded
over each other, and the whole appearance is, as if she had
just turned, in the tossings of her illness, to seek a cooler
or easier place of rest. The man whom this does not affect,
wants one of the finest sources of genuine sensibility; his
heart cannot be formed to relish the beauties, either of nature
The inscriptions round the monument are
in English, Latin, French, and Italian. The English version
I was not in safety, neither had I rest, & the trouble
Only child of Sir Brooke Boothby, and Dame Susannah Boothby.
Born April 11th, 1785, died March 13th, 1791.
She was, in form and intellect, most exquisite.
The unfortunate Parents ventured their all on this frail Bark,
and the wreck was total.
Two of the Cockayne family, Boothby Chapel
(alabaster on freestone altar tomb)
Edmund, the son of John Cockayne, lies next to his father.
He was slain at the Battle of Shrewsbury in 1404 and
his body was, reputedly, returned to Ashbourne for burial.
He is dressed in the knightly attire of the period, with
a pointed bassinet on his head.
||Sir John Cockayne and his wife
(alabaster altar tomb)
Sir John, shown here with his first wife Jane daughter
of Sir John Dabridgecourt of Strathfield Saye, died in
1447. He is wearing armour from the reigns of Henry V and
VI whilst his wife's clothing dates from the first
half of the fifteenth century and includes a horned or
The Bradbourne Tomb, Boothby Chapel
Sir Humphrey Bradbourne (died 1581) and his wife Elizabeth,
daughter of William Turville.
Sir Humphrey is in armour, whereas his wife is in a long robe.
Both have ruffs round their necks and cuffs (freestone altar
Children on the Bradbourne Tomb, the near ones swathed in crysomes
showing they had died as infants. There are actually three
infant children. Next to them are two figures in long black
gowns and then are two of the four eldest sons, also wearing
Font, 13th century, with trefoil arches and small fleur de
 "Kelly's Directory of
 Pevsner, Nikolaus (1953), "The
Buildings of England, Derbyshire", Penguin Books
 Cox, J. Charles (1877) "Notes
on the Churches of Derbyshire Vol II" Chesterfield:
Palmer and Edmunds, London: Bemrose and Sons, 10 Paternoster
Buildings; and Derby.
 Davies, David Peter (1811) "History
pub. S. Mason, Belper. See Derbyshire's
Parishes, 1811 (A) (scroll down to Ashbourne)
 Mee, Arthur (ed.) (1937) "Derbyshire:
The Peak Country",The King's England Series, Hodder
and Stoughton Limited, London.
More onsite info about Ashbourne:
Parishes, 1811 (A) See Ashbourne
Gentleman's Magazine Library