|The Haddon Hall Hydro, Buxton
Haddon House Hydropathic Establishment was first advertised by
Mr. Richard H. Freckingham in 1882; he claimed his establishment
was "in one of the healthiest parts of Buxton,
and every comfort can be had both for Visitors and Patients.
There is a good supply of good water".
He had "discovered
a new remedy for dropsy, which never fails to cure nine cases
out of ten".
Richard Freckingham had
arrived in Buxton from Matlock, where he had previously
run a hydropathic establishment at Rose Cottage on the
Buxton advertisements were often accompanied by a recommendation
from the late John Smedley. He had worked for Smedley
for twelve years as
his head bathman before
setting up his own establishment in about 1869.
He built the large hydropathic establishment on London
Road in the late 1880s, completing the work some two
to three years before his death. It had 41 bedrooms and
a double set of baths. Unfortunately, Mr. Freckingham
died at his hydro on 1 Jan 1891, aged 54.
His two surviving daughters remained at the hydro for a
short while afterwards.
The first sale notice for Haddon House appeared not
long after Richard Freckingham's death, but it had still
not sold by 1902 when it was unsuccessfully put up for
auction. For some reason the freehold property was withdrawn
during the auction.
Mr R Freckingham can with confidence undertake the most
difficult cases, having had many years experience under
J Smedley Esq, who permits RF patients to consult him
Board Lodgings and treatment, £1 1s to £1 5s
", 29 April 1871
|Haddon House Hydropathic Establishment.
Richard Freckingham, Proprietor, has 28 years' experience
and gives personal attention to the Baths. Good Table.
Home Comforts. Terms 30s. to 35s. per week. Good Bath Houses.
(Kelly's Directory 1887)
It may not have sold for some years but by September 1891 George
Edwin Hall had become the proprietor of Haddon Grove Hydropathic
and Health Resort.
He died at the end of 1901; his wife Elizabeth continued
as its proprietress for some years (see her advertisement below).
Advertisement from Ward Lock & Co's "Guide
to Matlock, Dovedale, Etc.",
Books of England and Wales (Guide Series 1903-4)
By 1911 Mrs. Kate Little, from Castlereagh, was the hydro's manageress
and her husband John, from Liverpool, was its Managing Director.
Advertisement from Ward Lock & Co's "Matlock,
Dovedale, Bakewell and South Derbyshire",
Guide Books of England and Wales (1932-3).
The hydro was still open after the Second World War, when
it was still being run by the Olivers (see 1932-3 advertisement,
above). However, the building was taken over by the Electricity
Board, was then turned into flats and bedsits and in 2007
was boarded up.
There was a destructive fire in 2010 and by 2012 the building
had been demolished, the demolition materials had been crushed
and a care home was being proposed for the site.
"The Haddon Hall Hydro, Buxton", The Bristol Printing
and Publishing Co., Ltd., Bristol. Unused.
Postcard in the collection of and provided by and © Judy
Ward Lock advertisements © Ann Andrews collection.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews. Intended for personal use only
links are to transcripts or more information elsewhere on this web
 "Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield
Herald", 10 June 1882. Advertisement for Haddon House
Hydropathic Establishment, Buxton.
 See his entries in the
1871 census, Kelly's
1876 Directory (under Matlock Bank) and the
1881 census in the Matlock section of this web site.
 In 1861 Richard
Freckingham was employed as a bathman (1861
 Taken from obituary notices published
in the "Sheffield Independent", 3 January
"Manchester Courier and Lancashire
General Advertiser", January 1891.
[s] They were still there at the
time of the 1891 census. See their names amongst Matlock
 "John Smedley of Matlock" (1888),
John Heywood, Manchester & London. Re-published by the
Arkwright Society, c/o Tawney House, Matlock.
 The hydro was advertised as for
sale several times in 1891, with the first sale notice appearing
in the "Yorkshire Evening Post" on 14 January
1891. A report on the auction was published in the "Sheffield
Daily Telegraph" on 17 October 1902 when the trustees
under the will of late Mr. Richard Freckingham were attempting
to sell the freehold property.
 The advertisement for Rose Cottage
was found by Kathleen Hawkins.
Mercury", 4 September
 1911 census (see FindMyPast)
and Kelly's 1912 Directory (Haddon Hall Hydropathic Establishment,
Mrs. Little, Manageress).
 "Kelly's Directory of
pub. Kelly & Co.,
51 Gt. Queen Street, W.C. Part of an advertisement "for
those visiting Buxton". This was probably his newly built
 From Keith Jones of Peak
Genealogy and Local History Site (this is an external
site, so will open in a new tab or window).