|Two Dales Looking East, Darley Dale
The view shows Chesterfield Road (the B5057) at the beginning of
the twentieth century. The cab driver has stopped his horse
and the young cyclist has dismounted from his bike to add interest
to the photograph. There isn't a passenger in
the cab, otherwise the cab driver might not have been quite
The building on the right was Two Dales Anglican School and
Sunday School, which was built by subscription in 1871 for
The building was used as a bakery until fairly recently and
looks much the same, although the circular window above the
door has possibly been removed or is covered over.
The card was addressed to Miss Lily (Elizabeth) Walton of
Warney House and sent by Mrs. Rosamund H Dobson who was an
elementary school teacher but whose sister ran the Two Dales
Sub Post Office for Mrs. Dobson and her husband.
It says "Howard finds he has not brought home the notebook
with homework in. Will you kindly oblige him with it. He is
at music lesson or wd come himself. Chemistry homework please".
Howard was the Dobsons' eldest child, and a student by 1911.
In the Vernon
, elsewhere on this site, are the following
of some of the school's pupils and one of the teachers
"Two Dales looking east", The Artistic Publishing
Company, 9 Bury Court, St. Mary Axe, London E.C. Series 425.
Used on the back but with no postage.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.
 Kelly's 1881 Directory, Kelly's 1887 Directory and
Kelly's 1891 Directory
 The 1911 census is available on FindMyPast.
Kelly's Directory 1912 shows Frederick Dobson as the Two Dales