Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Darley, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp. 107-108
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page


Advertisement for Darley Dale Hydro from this Directory



War Memorial



St. Helen's Church



St. Helen's Church, Interior



St. Helen's Church, Ancient Yew Tree


DARLEY ( or NORTH DARLEY) is a township, extensive parish and a village, pleasantly situated in a valley, with a station on the Manchester and Buxton railway, 146 miles from London and 4 miles north-west from Matlock Bath, in the Western division of the county, hundred of High Peak, Bakewell union, the Matlock district of the Wirksworth petty sessional division, county court district of Wirksworth, rural deanery of Bakewell, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell, and is governed by a local board of twelve members formed in 1863. The river Derwent separates North from South Darley. The church of St. Helen dates from the 12th century, and consists of a chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, transepts, south porch, and a western tower containing a clock and 6 bells, dated respectively 1704, 1618, two 1628, 1710 and 1876 ; in the south transept are monuments to Sir John de Darley, whose family held the royal manor of Darley in the 13th century: in the north transept are monuments to the Rollesey family dated 1513, an in the south chancel to the family of Milward, dated 1658, and in the south aisle to the Collumbell and Wendesley families : there are several stained windows, including one designed by D. G. Rossetti[1], and erected in 1860, illustrating various incidents of the Song of Solomon ; the stained east window, erected in 1864, is a memorial to the son of the late rector : the church was restored in 1877 at a cost of over £3,000, and in 1885 the chancel was refitted with carved oak stalls, and other improvements made in the interior : the church plate dates from 1791 ; there is a Norman font, and the church affords 600 sittings, 200 being free : the churchyard contains a very old yew tree 32 feet in girth at four feet from the ground, and in an excellent state of preservation. The register of baptisms dates from 1569, of marriages from 1451 and burials from 1539. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £284, net yearly value £308, including 120 acres of glebe, with residence, but subject to a pension of £180 to the late rector, in the gift of the Bishop of Southwell, and held since 1881 by the Rev. Frederic Atkinson M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Two Dales, erected in 1827. Garratt's and Gisborne's charities, together amounting to £11 yearly, are for clothing. Darley Dale Hydropathic Establishment is a modern mansion of stone erected at a cost of £35,000, with the latest sanitary improvements and stands in a richly timbered park of 51 acres : it has an independent supply of pure water from the justly renowned "Sharder Spring" on the estate, and is sheltered from the winds on the north and east : at the entrance to the park is a fine stone lodge. The Darley Institute, now (1890) in course of erection by the trustees of the late Sir Joseph Whitworth bart. F.R.S. will comprise reading room and library, class, bath and billiard rooms. The Cottage Hospital, erected by the trustees of the late Sir Joseph Whitworth Bart 1889, is beautifully situated on an elevation and is available for 16 patients. At Two Dales is a twine manufactory, formerly used for spinning flax. Stancliffe Hall, the seat of Lady Whitworth, is a mansion of stone in the Tudor style, with gardens and pleasure grounds, a chief feature being the magnificent rockery, planted with choice and suitable shrubs, which the late Sir Joseph Whitworth constructed at great length out of a sandstone quarry. Darley Hall, the property of Lady Whitworth, is now occupied by Alfred Clay esq. : Darley House is the residence of Herbert Byng Paget esq. ; and the Holt (Two Dales) is the residence of the Rev. James Dearden Cannon M.A. Sydnope Hall, the seat of Bridgeman Langdale Barrow esq. J.P. is a mansion of ancient date, rebuilt in 1852 by the late R.B. Barrow esq. And is pleasantly situate on the Chesterfield road, about 1 miles north-east from Darley Dale station ; the grounds contain some good specimens of pine and other trees, and there is a good supply of water of exceptional purity. There is no lord of the manor. Lady Whitworth, the trustees of the late Charles Baldwin Dakeyne, B.L. Barrow esq. JP the Duke of Rutland G.C.B., P.C. and the trustees of the late T.S. Potter esq. are the principal landowners. On Sydnope Stand, 929 feet above the level of the sea, there is a tower erected by the late Sir Francis Sacheverell Darwin kt. M.D. and rebuilt in 1865 by R.B. Barrow esq. Oaker Hill has an altitude of 635 feet. The soil is loam ; subsoil, gritstone. The chief crop is grass. The area is 5,110 acres of land and 42 of water ; rateable value, £13,332 ; the population in 1881 of the township was 1,848, and of the ecclesiastical parish 1,729. The Rowsley railway station is in this parish, but is given under the head of Rowsley, as are the names of those residents who are in Rowsley ecclesiastical district but in the Darley parish.

DARLEY MOOR is 2 miles east, and OVER HACKNEY 1 mile south-east and adjoining Matlock Bank. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel built in 1848.
Parish Clerk, William Fearn

POST OFFICE, Darley Dale.- Mrs. Annie Fearn, receiver. Letters arrive from Matlock Bath at 8.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.10 p.m. weekdays only. The nearest money order office is at Two Dales & Matlock Bridge the nearest telegraph office. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.

POST & M. O. O, S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Two Dales.- Mrs. Sally Lowe, receiver. Letters through Matlock arrive at 8.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.45 p.m. No delivery or dispatch on sundays. Matlock Bridge is the nearest telegraph office.
POST OFFICE, Hackney.- George Carnell, receiver. Letters through Matlock dispatched at 7.25 p.m. weekdays only. The nearest money order and telegraph office is at Matlock Bank. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.
WALL LETTER BOX:- Hackney lane, cleared 7.10 p.m.

LOCAL BOARD

Meet 2nd monday in the month at the Church Town schoolroom at 4.15 p.m.
Clerk, Alfred Cockeram, Darley
Treasurer, B.W. Millward, Matlock Bridge
Medical Officer of Health, Wm. Moxon L.R.C.P.Edin. Matlock
Surveyor, Thomas Lane
Inspector of Nuisances, Francis Robert Wain, Hill side
Collector, Henry Holmes, Two Dales

SCHOOLS:- National, erected in 1847, for 118 boys & girls & 32 infants ; Alfred Cockeram, master ; Miss Cecily Cockeram, infants' mist.
National, Two Dales, built by subscription in 1871, for 100 children ; average attendance, 90; Miss Mary Philippa Kenworthy, mistress
CARRIERS TO CHESTERFIELD.- Langdon, from Winster, passes through on fri. ; Parks, from Two dales, sat
Railway Station, Darley Dale, Jn. Thos. Tye, station master

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Alsop Anthony McLean, Darley dale
Atkinson Rev. Frederic M.A. [rector], Rectory
Bagshaw Mrs. Normanhurst
Barrow Bridgeman Langdale J.P. Sydnope hall
Cannon Rev. Jas Dearden M.A. The Holt
Clay Alfred, Darley hall
Dalton Mrs. Holmfield, Darley dale
Dawson Joseph, Fir cliff
Dawson Joseph, Hy. Denacre, Darley dale
Deeley Henry, Riversdale
Ferguson Mrs. Warney lea
Fogg, Miss, Springfield
Hall Capt. George Robert, Hillside
Henstock Copernicus, Farley hill
Johnson Rev. Charles Blois [curate], Two dales
Knowles Mrs. The Weldons, Darley dale
Moseley Wm. The Rookery, Darley dale
Paget Herbert Byng, Darley house
Robertson Surg.-Major Wm. The Abbey
Robinson Mrs. Farley hill farm
Scarlett James, Penryn cot. Hackney lane
Smith Arrow, Wheatley house
Surtees John, Two dales
Wall Mrs. Hall Farm, Two dales
Whitworth Lady, Stancliffe hall
Wright Arthur, The Lodge, Darley dale

COMMERCIAL

Allen Joseph, farmer, Darley dale
Bailey Peter, coal merchant, Rowsley rd
Bamford George, blacksmith, Two dales
Barker Jonathan, frmr. Whitespring farm
Barker Thomas, tailor & shopkeeper, Two dales
BODEN JOSEPH, Church inn, general grocer, provision dealer & draper & wine & spirit merchant, Darley dale
Bowler Thomas, builder & contractor & farmer, New Top frm. Over Hackney
Britland Richard, Square & Compasses P.H. & carpenter, Darley bridge
Burnett Thos. shoe maker, Two dales
Cockeram Alfred, clerk to the urban sanitary authority & schoolmaster
Darley Dale Hydropathic Establishment (William Atkins, proprietor), Darley dale. See advertisement
Davenport Thos. Plough inn, Two dales
Dawson Jsph. agent to Lady Whitworth
Dawson Joseph Henry, sec. to Whitworth Institute & Reading Rooms
Deley Hy. stone merchant, Riversdale
Derbyshire George, joiner, Hillside
Derbyshire Hy. nurseryman, Hillside
Derbyshire Martha (Mrs.), baker, grocer &c. Two dales
Eayrs Samuel, beer retailer, Darley dale
Evans John, carpenter, joiner & registrar of births & deaths for the Matlock district, & marriages for Bakewell district, Hackney lane
Fearn Wm. carpenter & parish clerk
Gabbutt Edmund, contractor, Station
Gregory George, farmer, Tor farm
Gregory Hugh, market gardener, Hillside, Darley dale
Gregory William, farmer, Morledge farm, Hackney lane
Gregory Wm. jun, farmer, Hackney lane
Hayes John, farmer, Abbey farm
Holmes Henry, collector to the urban sanitary authority, Two dales
Holmes Wm. Holly Tree inn, Over Hackny
Hope Jn. Thos. Nag's Head P.H. Two dales
Hopkinson James, Farmer, Darley Flash
Kinder Margaret Susan (Miss), grocer & draper, Two dales
LOWE FRANCIS, grocer, tea dealer, provision & flour merchant, small & hardware dealer, Two dales
Lowe Sally (Mrs.), shoe maker, & postoffice, Two dales
Parks Hy. farmer & carrier, Two dales
Pidcock Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Over Hackney
Redfern Samuel, farmer, The Moor
Smith Gervase, shopkeeper & market gardener, Over Hackney
Smith James & Sons, nurserymen & florists, Darley dale. See advert
Smith John, farmer, Farley
Taylor John, Laburnum inn, & carpenter, Over Hackney
Twyford Thos. stone mason, Two dales
Vains Job, stone mason, Hackney lane
Wagstaff Daniel, farmer, Hillside
Wain Francis Robert, assistant overseer & inspector of nuisances, Hillside
Walker Walter, Blacksmiths' Arms P.H., Two dales
Wall Matthew, farmer, Fallinge
Walton Jas. miller (water), Warney mill
Waterfall Henry, farmer, Sydnope hill
Waterfall Henry, jun. farmer, Sydnope
Waterfall John, Tax farm
Waterfall Wm. Jsph. beer ret., Two dales
Watts James Arthur, blacksmith & shopkeeper, Two dales
Whitworth Cottage Hospital (Miss Amy L. Burford, matron), Darley dale
Whitworth Institute & Reading Rooms (J. dawson, sec)
Wildgoose Frederick, farmer, Farley
Wilmot John, farmer, The Moor
Wilson Richd. farmer, Bumper castle
Wragg Herbert, farmer, Farley
Wragg Matthew, shopkr. Darley dale
Wright Arthur M.R.C.S.Eng., L.S.A.Lond. The Lodge, Darley dale
WRIGHT TOM, coal, coke, lime & cement merchant & district agent for the Pinxton collieries, railway statn., Darley dale; at Matlock Bridge


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript


[1] This is an error. The window was designed by Edward Burne Jones

Village Links

More on site information about Darley and the surrounding area

Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
Pigot's 1828-9 Directory, with Matlock, Matlock Bath and Bonsall includes Darley names
Wolley Manuscripts, Matlock
Magic Lantern Slide of St. Helens

Also see
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills
Joseph Whitworth - "Lives Which Hung by a Thread", a magazine article about the Whitworth Sharpshooter, which now includes (Dec 2008) additional material about both Whitworth and the development of the rifle.

Elsewhere on the Web
The Romping Lion - The story of the Dakeyne Disc Engine