The Warney estate was bought by Herbert Hardy in the 1950s. He
transformed the land surrounding Warney House into a caravan
park - "Cara Hols". This was to be his first enterprise
on the site. Mr. Hardy had at one time sold ladies stockings,
initially from a suitcase and then from his hosiery shop
on Bakewell Road in Matlock next to what was then the market
and bus station.
The top postcard shows that quite a few changes had taken
place since the Walton family had owned the property (see the
photographs on the previous page). For example, the climbing
plant covering the front and side of Warney House had
been removed and so had several large trees. Some of the farm
buildings, plus the greenhouse / vinery, had been demolished.
Other buildings had been either added to or converted to provide
facilities for the visitors, such as the Recreation Centre
The third postcard in the series (below) looks across the Derwent
valley towards Birchover and Stanton Lees. The embankment
was part of the Manchester to London railway line and on
the far side, close to the top of the picture, is the River
Derwent which is marked by a line of trees. The building
with the long low roofline next to the railway embankment
was the Victoria Saw Mill.
Warney Mill, a stone built corn mill, is also close to the
railway line - further down the road, past Warney House and
the caravan park. When the estate was sold in 1950 the mill,
which was then used as a Flour and Feeding Stuffs Mill, had
both a Mill Dam and a water wheel.
Herbert Hardy eventually set up DFS (Direct Furnishing Supplies)
on the site and pioneered Sunday trading as we know it today.
When he started up DFS, the number and type of goods that could
be bought on Sundays was very limited and did not include
furniture. He thought of an ingenious way of getting round
the law by allowing people to buy, say, a pound of carrots
and then giving them a sofa or three piece suite as well. However,
the price of the carrots bought on a Sunday matched the price
of the furniture that was sold during the week.
Advertisement from the Matlock Mercury
, 7 Jul 1951.
This advert, probably rather saucy for the early 1950s, was
always at the very top of
the paper's front page.