|Darley Dale, The Warney Mill Estate (1)
On 31st October, 1950 the auctioneers Marchant Brooks and Co.
auctioned the Warney Mill Estate in Darley Dale for Miss Elizabeth
Walton of Warney House, following the death of her brother
James earlier that year.
Their family had occupied the premises for a little over
one hundred years.
We first learn about the mill at the start
of the nineteenth century when Mrs. Allsop "of Darley
Mill, Hackney Lane" sold furniture and household goods
as she "wanted to leave the situation".
Other tenants of the corn mill included Joseph & Ellen
Derbyshire who were there in 1830 and Joseph & Hannah
Evans who lived there in 1832 and 1833.
Stephen Glover (1833) quoted what was then a recent survey
of Darley; it included amongst the proprietors "Mr. Josiah
Allsop, a water corn-mill and 20 acres".
|Two photographs of Warney House.
No dates, but known to be old. Note the horse and cart
in the first of the pair, almost where the
car is in the sale catalogue picture at the top of the
page. This photograph was taken
by W. N. Statham of Matlock.
Warney House was built about 1824 as in early 1825, when the
mill was offered for letting, the advertisement also offered "a
convenient new erected dwelling house, with suitable outbuildings
... together with a piece of rich meadow land called Wharney...
Now in possession or occupation of Mr Isaac Townsend, or his
The Else / Walton link to the Warney estate began in the late
1840s when William Else and his wife Elizabeth (nee Lomas)
moved to Warney Mill from Lea with their youngest son John.
William died at Warney in April 1850 and Elizabeth died in
February 1861; both were buried at St. Helen's.
John then ran the business, employing a total of eight men
and boys, but he died in 1869 and
his widow and five young children subsequently moved to Matlock.
However, Charles Else of Bull Bridge, John's nephew, took over
the business for a time, so it remained in the family.
By 1881 three of John's children, his elder son William and
daughters Elizabeth and Marina, were back at Wharney House.
Darley Mill (now the DFS warehouse) has an engraved stone
with JE 1860 above an old door.
Else 1827 - 11 June 1869.
His Will was proved by his two brothers - Charles Else,
miller, of Lea Mill and William Else, a farmer of Bull
Bridge. An announcement of his death in a local paper
said he "was
much and deservedly respected".
Darley Mill receipt for goods bought by Jno. Millington,
John Else kept a log book of the mill's reconstruction and
the date stone photographed above was carved to commemorate
the work. In 1859 he recorded that he had paid £3
for dinners for 50 workmen and had spent 6s. on ale for men
at Pidcock's. He also paid 1s. 6d. for a sack of coke from
M[atlock] Bath Gas Works. On August 30th the same year he
received 20 kiln plates from Hill and Childs of Derby and
noted that Jno. Goodall & Son had completed the kiln.
Elizabeth Else, John's eldest daughter, married James Walton
at St. Giles, Matlock in 1888 with the bride's two sisters
Marina and Martha and her two little nieces, Maggie and Lily
Else, daughters of Mr. William Else, as bridesmaids.
By 1891 James had taken over the business from his brother
The couple's son James was born in Derby in 1888 and their
daughter Elizabeth was born at Warney House on 3 September
The Walton family at the wedding of Elizabeth (Lily)
Else and Evelyn
that took place at St. Giles' Church Matlock
5 October 1910.
Seated (L-R), James Walton, snr. & his wife Elizabeth
the daughter of John Else whose photograph is above.
Standing (L-R), Elizabeth (Lily) Walton, daughter, & James
jnr., son. The photograph could have been taken outside
Matlock Town Hall, where the reception was held.
James jun. and Lily both served in the First World War.
Pre-war Lily had studied art, possibly at one of the
London Art Colleges but it is quite possible she attended
W. N. Statham's night school in Matlock. She became a
nurse during the war. James enlisted on 11 Dec 1915 and
joined his regiment, the Royal Garrison Artillery, for
duty 3 May 1916 at Derby. He was a Gunner with 24th Fire
Command, 155th Siege Battery and was wounded with a gunshot
wound (GSW) to the head whilst in France in July 1918,
suffering from headaches and a loss of energy. He was
30 disabled at discharge, but according to army records
he had improved when he was re-examined the following
year. His GSW was followed by influenza and the pneumonia,
caused by "active
service and exposure". James was transferred to
the reserve on 3 October 1919. This photograph of the
siblings was probably taken in late 1915 or early 1916.
James, at 5' 10¾", seems to have been quite
a bit taller than his sister.
have been the last photograph of James and Lily, seen
here with their daughter Lily, in the garden
of Warney House during the summer of 1940. They had celebrated
their Golden Wedding on 1 June 1937
James jun. was no longer at Warney. He lived in Two
Dales with his wife Mercie, nee Swindells, whom he had
married at Holloway Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1930.
At the end of her life Miss Walton lived at Claremont
on Cavendish Road. She died in
The Warney House estate covered an area of about 25 acres
in total, including both the house and the mill. There was
"a well stocked trout stream" running through the grounds
and the greenhouse was described as a span roof vinery.
Behind the house were farm buildings including a Dutch barn,
a cowhouse, a four box stable, a loose box and pig sties.
A closer view of Warney House in 1950
There is more about what happened to Warney House and Warney
Mill on the next page.
Note from the web mistress:
In April 2011 I was sent an early twentieth century photograph
of Warney House by the English born great grand daughter of
James Walton's elder brother, William Edward Walton, who emigrated
to Canada. It took some time to realise the picture was of
Warney House as there are few pictures of it from that time.
All my correspondent originally knew was the name of her great
grandfather but not the names of his siblings. Please get in
touch if you also descend from WEW (see footer to contact).
Photographs of Warney House from the Marchant Brooks sale
brochure (1950) in the collection of, provided by and © Ann
Else and Walton family photographs © Judy Cooper collection.
Research provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal
coloured links take you to on site transcripts):
 Marchant Brooks sale brochure,
printed by Smith's Printing Works, Ltd, Bakewell Road, Matlock
(with grateful thanks to Ken Smith for giving me a copy).
The auction was held at Marchant Brooks' sale rooms on Causeway
 The Derby Mercury, 1 Oct
1807. Also advertised in 1808.
 St. Helen's Parish Registers.
 Glover, Stephen (1833) "The
History and Gazetteer of the County of Derby ..." Edited
by T. Noble. pub. Derby and London.
 The Derby Mercury, 9 Feb
 William and Elizabeth married
at Matlock in 1808. They were living it Lea in 1841 (HO107/197/5
f5 p4), although their youngest son John was being educated
at John Allen's school in Bonsall at that time.
William Else's will is at Lichfield.
 The 1861 census shows John and
his family at "Wharney Corn Mill, Chesterfield Road, Darley".
John had married Ann Naylor at Monyash in 1854. The couple
had six children, one of whom died a few weeks after her birth.
John Else was a churchwarden at St. Helen's when he died of
pneumonia in 1869. He was also buried at St. Helen's.
 Ann Else and her family were living
in Matlock in
1871 | in
1881 | in
1891 | in
1901. Ann Else, of Lime Tree House, was buried at St.
Giles in 1909.
 The Derby Mercury, 22 Sep
1869. Sale of John Else's household goods and announcement
that Charles was taking over "the business carried on
by his late uncle, Mr. John Else, for the past 22 years".
 1881 census, RG11/3449 f70 p1
s4. William, Elizabeth and Martha had all been born at Warney
 Information extracted from the
log book owned by Judy Cooper.
 "Derbyshire Times and
Chesterfield Herald", 4 June 1887. Marriage of Miss
Else of Matlock. Her home was then at Lime Tree House. It was
a family affair as William Else was the best man.
Else was to encounter financial problems (London
Gazette, 24 July 1888) and returned to live in Matlock: 1891
census | 1901
 James Walton, a son of George
and Mary Walton, was living in Matlock at the time of the
1861 census. Also see Matlock
Strays (W) | Kelly's
Directory 1891. James had been born in 1855 and died
on 13 November 1940. His widow Elizabeth had been born
in 1858; she outlived her husband and passed away on 6
 Army information from the
Burnt Documents, WO 363 held by the National Archives.
Information about Lily, who remained a good amateur artist
all her life, from Judy Cooper.
 "Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield
Herald", 4 June 1937. Golden Wedding.Walton-Else. On June
1st, 1887, at St. Giles, Church, Matlock by the Rev. A. Lowe,
M.A. JAMES, elder son of Mrs. George Walton of Matlock, to ELIZABETH
eldest daughter of the late Mr. John Else, of Darley Mill, and
Mrs. Else of Lime Tree House, Matlock.