NEAR BURTON-ON-TRENT, DERBYSHIRE.-GRESLEY, BARONET.
DERBYSHIRE has been styled by Kinder the "Amphitheatre
of Renowned Persons," who further stated that "no
countie in England had so many princelie habitations;" and
it is no less distinguished for the numerous fine mansions
it contains at the present day.
This was an ancient seat of the Gresleys, and is described
in Domesday Book as belonging to Nigel de Stafford, an ancestor
of the family, who held it by the service of rendering a bow
with a string, a quiver of Tutesbit, a word the meaning of
which appears to be now unknown, with twelve fleched arrows,
and one unfeathered shaft.
Another record, of the date of 1200, describes the service
to have been a bow, a quiver, and twelve arrows.
In the Year 1330 Geoffrey de Gresley claimed the somewhat
unsatisfactory right of having a gallows at Drakelowe, and
also at Gresley.
The mansion stands on low ground, and hence, as is supposed,
It is a large irregular pile.
The family of Des Vœux, resident for some time at Drakelowe
Hall, derives from
PRESIDENT DE BACQUENCOURT of the Parliament of Rouen, who
had two sons, the second of whom,
ANTHONY VINCHON DE BACQUENCOURT, a man of great learning,
left the Church of Rome for the Reformed Faith, and wrote against
the Jansenists, as also on the subject of miracles, and translated
and published a commentary on the book of Ecclesiastes; the
last named work was considered of so much value that the University
of Dublin conferred on him the degree of Honorary M.A. He took
the surname of Des VŒUX, and died in 1792, leaving, with a
younger son and a daughter,
CHARLES DES VŒUX, ESQ., of Indiville, in the Queen's County,
Governor of Masulipatam, and second in the Council at Madras,
who was created a Baronet the 1st. of September, 1787, and
dying in 1814, was succeeded by his eldest son,
SIR CHARLES DES VŒUX, second Baronet, who married, first,
Christina, daughter of
Richard Hird, Esq., of Rawdon,
Yorkshire, and, secondly, Lady Caroline Paulet, daughter of
the Marquis of Winchester, by the former of whom he had
SIR HENRY WILLIAM DES VŒUX, third Baronet, Lieutenant-Colonel
in the army, High Sheriff of Derbyshire in 1864, who married,
the 16th. of July, 1839, Lady Sophia Gresley, widow of Sir
Roger Gresley, Bart., M.P., and daughter of George William
Coventry, seventh Earl of Coventry, and so became resident
at Drakelowe Hall.
Rev. F. O. (1880),"Picturesque
Views of Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain
Published in London by William Mackenzie. The drawings
for the book were by Alexander F Lydon (1836-1917)
and printed, using the "Baxter process",
by Benjamin Fawcett (1808-93) of Driffield, Yorkshire.
One woodblock was used per colour and oil-based ink
achieved the depth of colour.
Drakelowe Hall was demolished in 1934. A power station
now stands on the site.
Also see, elsewhere on this web site:
Kelly's 1891 Directory.
Parishes, 1811, see both Drakelow and Gresley.
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire
deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills