An attractive Edwardian postcard of Godalming's Town Bridge and
Bridge Road, looking towards the junction with Chalk Road
and Meadrow. The former Railway Hotel, later the Wey Inn,
was on the corner.
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, with seating for 500 people,
and the Baptist School Chapel, seating 200, are visible behind
the trees to the right of the road. Both establishments were
built in 1903; they were built of Bargate stone in the Gothic
style and the school chapel cost £962. The two buildings
are now Godalming United Church (Methodist and United Reformed).
Just before the first war, Rev. J. Arundel Chapman, M.A.,
B,D., who lived in Oakdene Road, was the minister.
Next to the church buildings, but not seen here, was the Police
Station, erected in 1892, where the superintendent and one
constable lived in 1913.
Harry John Jennings, aged 41, was the superintendent in residence
In 1911. Next door were two police constables; Frederick Sanders
was the head of the house and he and his wife had a boarder,
P.C. Richard George Miller.
The sender of this sepia version was living at 11 Great
George Street, Godalming.
She wrote that "
This is the corner of our church
on the card its a little way from Town".
The road surface consisted of broken stone (broken with
a hammer), embedded in clay or
sand and then rolled. The wheels of the drays and carriages
created deep ruts.
The only vehicle we can see is horse drawn but motor cars had
been using the roads for some years before the cards' publication
date, although they still did not generally travel very fast.
Walter Giddeon Pingle, of Basing House, Banstead, was summoned
at the Godalming Police Court in 1909 for riding a motor bicycle
along the road at a speed of nearly twenty miles per hour.
A fine of £1 and costs was imposed, and the defendant
was ordered to pay costs for not having a license. In
1912 two schoolboys were injured in Bridge Road, one fatally,
after they were knocked down by a car. The driver took the
boys to a doctor's surgery before he was arrested. At that
time the road was within a ten miles speed limit area, and
there had already been some protests about the limit as well
as requests for the removal of police traps.
In late December 1926 an 82 year old gentleman called John
Gorringe, who lived on Lower Manor Road in Farncombe, was crossing
the bridge when a timber truck crushed him against the parapet.The
Town Bridge was subsequently widened and a pavement was
added to the eastern side.
 "Kelly's Directory of Surrey",
 The 1911 census is available on Find
 "Surrey Mirror",
27 August 1909. Report of an incident on July 13th.
 "Hull Daily Mail",
21 June 1912. The driver was charged, and went to court but
he was found not guilty.
 Harold Pitt mentions the accident
in "Memories of Farncombe and Godalming" (1981),
The Godalming Trust.
Mr. Gorringe had been born in East Grinstead in 1844 to William
(d.1874) and Eliza Gorringe and he and his family moved to Godalming
before 1871. He was a carpenter/builder by trade and John Gorringe
and Son can be found in trade directories with premises on Hare
Lane. He and his brother lived on Church Road, later Kings Road,
one selling china and glass and the other running a beerhouse
(The Star). John Gorringe also founded the firm of undertakers.
He died from the injuries he sustained on 28th December 1926.