Godalming, Surrey> Picture Gallery> Godalming Section>
The Andrews Pages Picture Gallery : Godalming, Surrey
A selection of photographs and postcards of a Surrey country town
   
Elsewhere on the website: Godalming, Surrey (about)
Godalming, Surrey: Murder, Trial and Execution, 1817-18

Last page | First page
Index of Images about Godalming -
on pages of their own, many with local history and biographical information
 

Each page in this section is linked back to here. It is also linked to the previous page and the next one, so all you need to do is to click on any one of the links below and you can navigate easily.


Borough Road

Borough Road, Godalming, 1907
View of the plate girder bridge on the London to Portsmouth line between Farncombe and Godalming stations.

}
}
} Boarden Bridge, Borough Road, Godalming, 1905-6
} Until 1870 this was the only means of crossing the river on the western side of the town.
} *Second image added*
}
Borough Road and Frith Hill, Godalming, 1914 *Second image added*
Rose Lily Little was returning from delivering a sewing machine when a photographer asked her to pose for this picture.

Bridge Road, Bridge Street and the Town Bridge


}
} The Bridge, Godalming, 1907
} Attractive Edwardian postcards of the Town Bridge and Bridge Road.
} *Second image and more info added*
}

}
} Godalming Bridge and Congregational Church, Godalming, Surrey
} A late nineteenth century postcard and another published in 1907.
}
Bridge Road, Godalming, 1903
The Wesleyan Chapel had just been built. And who lived in the houses in 1911

}
} Bridge Road - Wesleyan Church *New*
} Early 20th century views of the exterior and interior of the church, which opened in 1903.
}
}

Busbridge

Godalming, St. John's Church, Busbridge, 1910
Busbridge Church is of the Early English Gothic style and was consecrated in 1867.
Crownpits, Brighton Road, Godalming, 1895
An attractive late nineteenth century view of Crownpits looking downhill towards central Godalming.
Busbridge Hall, Godalming, 1908
The Edwardian mansion replaced an earlier house.

Catteshall

Godalming, Leroy's Boat House, Catteshall Road

Charterhouse Road and School

Charterhouse from Frith Hill, 1903

}
}
} Charterhouse Bridge and Hindhead Road, Godalming, Surrey, 1900 - 1906
}
}


}
}
}
} Charterhouse Road, from Charterhouse Bridge*New*
} Three views taken from the road on the top of Charterhouse Bridge. One image shows the original Hodgsonites.
}
}
}
Bodeites, a Charterhouse School Boarding House, about 1906. *New*
It was the only house not to have retained the surname, or part of the surname, of its founder.
This building was demolished in the 1970s.
Hodgsonites, a Charterhouse School Boarding House, about 1906. *New*
The first of the masters houses' to be built on Sandy Lane (Charterhouse Road today), this imposing house was built in 1874. This building was also demolished in the early 1970s.

}
}
} Charterhouse Road (2), looking uphill. Early Twentieth Century
} Three images, including one taken from the junction with Peperharow Road
}
}
Charterhouse Road (3), 1907
View of part of the road from Frith Hill.

}
}
}
} Charterhouse School, Godalming, 1900-07
} The site chosen by Haig Brown when Charterhouse School moved out of London in 1872. *Additional info*
} More and more land in the surrounding area was bought over the years. Football and cricket were major sports.
}
}
}

}
}
} Charterhouse School, Founder's Court & Thomas Sutton's Statue *New*
}
}
}
War Memorial Chapel, Charterhouse School, 1927
Designed by Gilbert Scott, the chapel was built to commemorate the lives of the Charterhouse boys who had died in WW1. Further names were added after WW2, including that of Major-General Orde Charles Wingate.
War Memorial Chapel and Weekites, Charterhouse School, 1927 *New*
Weekites, a former boarding house for Charterhouse school pupils on Charterhouse Road, was named after the Church of England clergyman and schoolmaster Charles Hampton Weekes. This building was demolished.
Charterhouse School, The Statue of William Haig Brown *New*
William Haig Brown, the Godalming school's first headmaster, was unusually commemorated with a statue in his lifetime to honour of all he had achieved.
Charterhouse School, Verites Boarding House *New*
When the school opened in 1872 it was not ready for its boarders. There was a disastrous roof fire here in 1918 and the school's brigade were initially involved in extinguishing the flames.

Church Street and S.S. Peter and Paul Church

SS. Peter & Paul Parish Church & Church House, 1907 *Additional info*
Information about the church, some of the vicars and the owners of Church House.
This page has been re-written (2017)
SS. Peter & Paul Parish Church, 1912 *New*
A new porch and some anecdotes about the church, including a nineteenth century wedding, suffragettes and striking bellringers

}
} SS. Peter & Paul Parish Church, interior - 1904 and 1922. *New*
} Two images, some memorials and various restorations, not all of them fit for purpose
}
}

}
} SS. Peter & Paul Church from the River, 1907 *Additional image & info*
} The parish church seen from across the Lammas Lands. Plus the story of a church bell in the river.
}

}
}
} Old Houses on Church Street, close to the Pepperpot, 1905 & 1910 *Additional image & info*
} Late 16th and early to mid 17th century buildings. With additional info about the former Corn Meter beerhouse.
}
}
Church Street, Godalming, 1903
View of Church Street from Cornmeter, looking towards the parish church
Church Street, Godalming, about 1935
Looking along Church Street towards the Pepperpot and the High Street in the mid 1930s.
Church Street Shops and Parish Church, Godalming, early 1940s
The street over sixty years ago, and a description of the jobs of the residents in 1841.

Croft Road

Croft Road (formerly Croft Terrace) & St. Edmund's Church, 1908 *New*
The road was developed in a number of stages towards the end of the nineteenth and early into the twentieth centuries

Eashing


}
} Eashing Bridge, 1898
} Medieval stone bridge. Now with second image
} *Second imaged added*
}

Frith Hill

Frith Hill, Godalming, 1895
Frith Hill and River Wey, Godalming, 1907
Sepia and coloured versions and a recent photo from the same place
Frith Hill from the Air, 1920s
Also includes Charterhouse School and some of the original boarding houses.
Hillside, Frith Hill, Godalming: Hydro, Boy's School and Hotel
In its about 110 year life time it was all three. The small schoo produced a surprising number of distinguished people.
Hindhead Road and Water Tower *New*
Opened in 1880 and now converted to a private home.

Godalming, Views of

Godalming, from Charterhouse, 1903
View of Frith Hill and the town beyond, showing extensive flooding on the Lammas Lands
View from Holloway Hill, Godalming, Surrey, about 1900
The Oak Bark Tannery, an extensive leather dressing factory, was decimated by two fires not long after the picture was taken.
Godalming from New Way, 1907
General View of Godalming, about 1905

High Street


}
}
} Old Town Hall, High Street, Godalming, 1905
} The Pepperpot or Pepperbox, built in 1814 at the junction of the High Street and Church Street, used to be the
} Town Hall.
}
}
Old Town Hall, Godalming, 1907
The buildings around the Pepperpot in the Edwardian era.

}
} The Market House, High Street, 1903-14 *New*
} The eastern side of Godalming's Market House with Robertson's drapery, Craddock's printers and Bennett's fishmonger. } } Plus the Post Office
}
High Street, Godalming, about 1908
Showing some of the listed buildings, including the former Edwards Pharmacy.
High Street, Godalming, 1910
High Street, Godalming (no date but possibly 1910)
Seventeenth century building on Godalming High Street
Godalming High Street, early twentieth century
Looking broadly west towards the Pepperpot
High Street, Godalming, 1922
High Street, Godalming, view from the Pepperpot. Eastman's was originally known as Griggs.
The White Hart, High Street, Godalming, about 1900
The timber-framed White Hart was an old coaching inn and there was an inn on the site in the sixteenth century
The White Hart & High Street, Godalming, before 1900
The original photo was probably taken at the end of the nineteenth century.
High Street, Godalming before WW1
View from the east end showing Gammon Brothers drapery and other stores.

Hurtmore

Hurtmore Farm, Hurtmore, 1907

Mill Lane and the Mint

The Mint and Mill Lane, Godalming
Mill Lane, Godalming, 1907
Looking up Mill Lane, taken from the side of Hatch Mill
Mill Lane, Fire at Rea and Fisher's Oak Bark Tannery, 7 March 1905. *New*
A fire destroyed a large part of the Oak Bark tannery in the early hours.

Peperharow Road & Peperharow Park

Peperharow Road, Godalming, 1903
Aslo shows Charterhouse School's "Old" Sanatorium.
Peperharow Road, Godalming, from Frith Hill - before WW1
Frith Hill from Peperharow Road
Early twentieth century view of the eastern end of Peperharow Road and Frith Hill.

}
} Peperharow House & Park, near Godalming, early 1900s *New*
} Georgian house, with "Capability" Brown park, and home of the Midleton family for over 200 years.
} Two images
}

Poppies



}
}
} Poppies in the fields above Binscombe, Godalming, 2010 & 2014
}
}
}

Pound Lane

The Old Forge, Pound Lane, Godalming, about 1910

Ockford Road

Ockford Road, Godalming
Early twentieth century view.
Godalming, Ockford Road (2) *New*
Ockford Road, with its old cottages and the Inn on the Lake Hotel. The former Ockford House has been the home of some interesting and distinguished people.

Stations

Railway Station, Godalming, 1905
Farncombe Railway Station, 1905 *New*
The station opened in May 1897, replacing Old Godalming Station

Town End Street

Town End Street, 1910 *New*
Building plots in the Town End Field were first advertised in 1890.

Unstead/Wey Navigation

Unstead Bridge / Trowers Bridge, 1898 and Today *New*
Curious 18th century bridge spanning the River Wey. Possibly originally had 5 arches, but there has been no central arch for over a century.
View from Unstead Lock, about 1909-10