Looking along Church Street towards the Pepperpot and the High
Street in the mid 1930s, from roughly outside Cornmeter.
The arch on the left, which used to lead to the yard of the
Angel Hotel, is Deanery Yard. The sign advertises lock up
garages. Net curtains were hanging at the windows of the premises
next door; today the shop sells gifts.
On the curve of the road on the left is the Skinner's Arms
(also see Old Town Hall,
Godalming, about 1908) and its oval sign advertised
Sandeman and Courage. The beerhouse had been part of Farnham
United Breweries Ltd. but in 1927 the directors entered into
a provisional contract with Courage and Co. for the sale of
their shares at the price of 25s for each Preference
and 45s for each Ordinary share, payable in cash.
It continued as a beerhouse until the 1950s but
was then converted into shops. The brewery's sign is still
painted on the building. If you look up to just below the roof
line but above the first floor windows are the words "Courage
Alton The Skinner's Arms".
Looking down Church Street from the High Street is an estate
agents, Clarke Gammon Emery.
The shop signs on the right are harder to read, but of the
two signs where the road bends and where someone is walking
the top one proclaims The Pepperpot (presumably a cafe) and
lower down advertised Ices. Closer to the camera, and still
on the right, a man is walking away; he has just passed the
junction of Mint Street and Church Street.
Church Street has, in recent years, featured in the film "The