|Old Town Hall, Godalming, about
An Edwardian view of the Georgian Pepperpot and the shops and houses
that surrounded it.
The building in Church Street with the Breweries sign running
along the top used to be the Skinner's Arms. Not all of the
sign is visible but it reads "[Farnham United] Breweries
Ltd. Fine Ales and Stout". John Janaway, in his book on
Godalming and Farncombe Pubs, records that Farnham United Breweries
had formed in 1889 following the merger of two Farnham breweries
and the Skinner's Arms was conveyed to them in 1890.
It had already been in the hands of one family for about twenty
seven years by then, beginning with Anne Earle, a widow, running
She had previously lived with her daughter Susan on Ockford
Road and worked as a sempstress (1861 census)
before moving to the Skinner's Arms.
By 1871 Susan had married Joseph Goldsmith and
they shared No.2 Church Street with Anne.
Anne died in 1877 and Joseph then took over the business.
By 1891 Susan Goldsmith was a widow and working as Licensed
Victualler in her own right; the 1911 census indicates that
the property consisted of 8 rooms. She was still there in 1913,
by which time the family had been involved with the business
for around fifty years.
Next door, but actually on the High Street, is a large white
sign painted on the wall: "Best Natural Block Ice.
Families Welcome Daily for Orders". On the right of the
Pepperpot was the London City and Midland Bank at what was
then 42 High Street.
The black and white building, far right, was a greengrocers,
by 1911 run by Mr. C. W. Trimmer who lived on the premises.
The blinds on the far left of the picture belong to Robert
Agnew Robertson's General Drapery and Millinery. Robertson,
from Midlothian, lived at the shop, 45 High Street, together
with several of his shop assistants and his housekeeper.
"Old Town Hall, Godalming", Valentine's Series,
No. 60099. Not posted.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews Researched by Ann Andrews. Intended for personal use only
 Janaway, John (2003) "Godalming
and Farncombe Pubs and Breweries", Ammonite Books, Godalming,
Surrey. ISBN 1-869866-14-2
 Census information can be found on
FindMyPast. The 1871 census states that the two households were
in the same house.In 1891 and 1901 Susan Goldsmith was at the
Skinner's Arms with her two daughters, Edith and Minnie. By 1911,
when Susan was listed as a Beerhouse Keeper, Edith was assisting
in the business.
 Janaway stated that Ann Earle was
at the Skinner's Arms from between 1863 and 1865.
 Susan Earle had married Joseph Goldsmith
in the Portsea district in Q3 1868.
 "Post Office Directory of
(1878) Kelly & Co. Ltd, London.
Directory of Surrey", 1913
 1911 census.