|Ockford Road, Godalming
Whilst it is hard to be certain, this artist's impression of
Ockford Road could date from the time when the Anchor public
house was being demolished and rebuilt in 1911.
The Anchor's sign is clearly visible but there is no sign of
the pub. The front of the original building had been almost the
same distance from the road as the half timbered cottages on
either side but
when it was rebuilt the front was re-aligned further back on
its plot, roughly in line with the rear of the two adjacent properties.
There is a white fence in front of where the pub was rebuilt.
In 1911 the landlord of the Anchor, who must have overseen
the rebuilding project, was James Brown.
The immediate dwellings were uninhabited but near neighbours
were, at 106, Ernest Charles Stevens who was a baker and might
well have been the man wearing an apron who is standing in
the shop doorway. Closer to the town centre, at 116, lived
the widowed Jane Taylor and her daughter Mary.
Thomas Kelsey had the longest association with the Anchor
as he kept the pub for fifty years, from the late eighteenth
century to the beginning of the nineteenth century.
He died on 14 Dec 1826 and was buried at the parish church
five days later. Kelsey and the trustees of his Will are named
in the lease and release, dated 1827, "of a messuage
called the Anchor in Ockford Lane, Godalming, and the adjoining
messuage now divided into 2 tenements".
The raised pavement still has steps down to the road but the
Anchor, having survived some ups and downs, is now a Tandoori
"Ockford Road, Godalming" Published by A. C.
Curtis, Ltd., Godalming. Posted, though no date survives, at Milford
and sent to Paris, brown three halfpence George V stamp, first
issued on 1st January 1912.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Researched by Ann Andrews. Intended for personal use only.
 Surrey History Centre archives,
Ref. 7159: Anchor Inn, Godalming: Deeds (1762-1890).
 Janaway, John (2003) "Godalming
and Farncombe Pubs and Breweries", Ammonite Books, Godalming,
Surrey. ISBN 1-869866-14-2.
 James Brown could be found at the
Anchor in the 1901 census. He was still there at the time of
the 1911 census when he declared that the Anchor had 9 rooms.
As he was also at the Anchor in "Kelly's
1913 Directory" he must have been involved with rebuilding
 The 1911 census is available on FindMyPast.
 Surrey History Centre archives. Lease
and release by William Kelsey of Great Bookham (and others) ...,
1827. Ref No: 7159/5-67159/5-6. Thomas Kelsey was buried at SS
Peter & Paul
on 21 Dec 1826, aged 87 (from parish register).