|Railway Station, Godalming, 1905
"Godalming is at its best now" wrote the sender of
this card, which was posted in Godalming on 23 July 1908
and sent to Mr. Jack H. Rockell in Brixton. The card shows
the station building on Station Approach. Taxis have replaced
the horses and carriages and the station building has been
restored relatively recently but it otherwise looks very
similar to the way it did a hundred years ago.
It wasn't the first station in the town. Godalming was initially
at the end of the railway line and the terminus was on Old
Station Road. In 1855 Richard Masey Hillier was the Station
Master there and Godalming was described as being "on
the Guildford and Godalming railway ... The London and Portsmouth
railway, now in course of formation, will pass through the
The South Western Railway opened in 1859 and Godalming and
Farncombe were served by two stations.
In 1878 Frederick
Charles Jearum (1846-1897) was the station master at both
stations; he lived on New Way with his wife and family. Presumably
they lived in the station house, shown above, though this
is not clear. The 1881 census records that he was born in Winchester
and was the father of seven children.
Mr. Martin W. Dodge was the goods manager at the old station
at the same time.
He lived at Old Station House in Old Station Road. W. Wiggins,
with premises in Bridge street, was a goods delivery agent.
Farncombe Railway station (see next
page) was opened in May
1897 and took the place of the Old Godalming station, which
was then used as a goods depot.
In both 1901 and
1913 the following
men were listed at the Godalming station and the depot:
[Godalming] Station, Edgar Ernest Smith, station manager
; Alfred Perry, goods agent, at Goods Depot station (Mr.
Smith was born at Paddington and Mr. Perry at Salisbury).
"Godalming, Railway Station". Frith Series Postcard
No.54682. Posted 23 Jul 1908.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Written, researched by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.
Please respect our Conditions of Use.
 "Post Office Directory
of Essex, Herts, Kent ..." (1855), Part 1: Counties & Localities,
pub. Kelly & Co., Old Boswell Court, Temple Bar, London,
 "Post Office Directory
(1878) Kelly & Co. Ltd, London, p.2233
 1881 Census of England and Wales,
 "Kelly's Directory of Surrey"
(1913) Kelly & Co. Ltd, London, p.210. The directory states
that Farncombe was opened in 1898 but it had opened the previous
 1901 Census of England and Wales,