|The Market Place, Petersfield, about 1845
THE MARKET PLACE,
Drawn & Engraved for DUGDALE's ENGLAND
& WALES Delineated
Line engraving, T. H. Shepherd Delt and H. Bond Sc.
A brief description of Petersfield was published in a trade
directory of the 1850s:
"Petersfield is a parish in the hundred of Finch Dean,
South Alton division-the market town, which is likewise a parliamentary
borough, is 55 miles S.W. from London, 18 N.N.E. from Portsmouth,
and the same distance S.S.E. from Winchester ; situated near
the verge of the county abutting from Sussex, on the road to
Portsmouth. The town is entitled to, but little consideration
in respect to trade ; at one time, it profited by its great
thoroughfare situation, on the road from London to Portsmouth, &c.
more especially in time of war ; but now the opening of the
South-Western Railway has deprived the residents of that advantage,
and the town itself presents nothing attractive to the stranger.
The only object that may possibly strike the attention, is
the equestrian statue of William III, erected by the late James
Joliffe, Esq., one of the representatives of the borough ;
it was formerly gilt, but is now coloured to resemble stone.
The town hall was rebuilt some years since, at the expense
of Hylton Joliffe, Esq.".
The extract rather conflicts with the image, which shows a
very attractive country town!
The above antique steel engraving, by Thomas Hosmer Shepherd and
engraved by Henry Winsor Bond, was published in "Curiosities
of Great Britain. England and Wales Delineated: Historical, Entertaining,
alphabetically arranged by Thomas Dugdale, Antiquarian, assisted
by William Burnett. Published in 11 volumes by J. Tallis, London
c1845. Also in 4 volumes by L. or J. & F. Tallis, also in 2 volumes
by L. Tallis, 1854-60. Hand tinting added at a later date.
In the collection of, provided by and ©Ann
Andrews. Intended for personal use only
Directory of Berkshire, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset,
Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Somerset, Wiltshire, Wales ...",