Picture Gallery> Kent>
The Andrews Pages Picture Gallery : Kent
A selection of photographs, prints and postcards. Some have personal or family connections
 
Kitt's Cotty House, near Aylesford, about 1845


KITT'S COTTY HOUSE,
KENT
,

Drawn & Engraved for DUGDALE's ENGLAND & WALES Delineated
Line engraving, artist and engraver not known

[Below the print is the following]
This curiosity is situated about one mile north of Aylesford. Prince Cartirinus, a Saxon warrior, is said to have been inhumed here. In 445 a sanguinary battle was fought here between the Britons and Saxons.
Page 69

A further brief description was published in a trade directory of the 1850s:

"That remarkable cromlech or monument, KITS COTY HOUSE, is 1½ miles north-east [of Aylesford], on the Rochester and Maidstone road ; it consists of four large stones of Druid sandstone. Two fields south is a heap of the same kind of stones, and nearer Aylesford a curious stone, called the COFFIN."[1].


The above antique steel engraving was published in "Curiosities of Great Britain. England and Wales Delineated: Historical, Entertaining, and Commercial", alphabetically arranged by Thomas Dugdale, Antiquarian, assisted by William Burnett. Published in 11 volumes by J. Tallis, London c1845. Also in 4 volumes by L. or J. & F. Tallis, also in 2 volumes by L. Tallis, 1854-60. Hand tinting added at a later date.
In the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews. Intended for personal use only

References:

[1] "Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Kent ... ", 1855. [Part 1: Counties & Localities]




Picture Gallery Index
Next page
Previous page
Also see
Our Genealogy
Images of
Matlock & Matlock Bath

More from Dugdale


Aberystwith Castle



The Town of Ashburton



Powderham Castle



The Market Place,
Petersfield