Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Crich, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.101-2
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page


Sherwood Foresters Memorial, Crich Stand
and an earlier Stand, mentioned in Kelly's



Are surnames CLAY,
BRYAN, BRYON
or NUTTALL
mentioned in your old Crich wills or documents?
If so, please
email webmistress
CRICH is a town, township and extensive parish, 4¾ miles west-by-south from Alfreton, 5 north from Belper, one north-east from Whatstandwell station on the Manchester main line of the Midland railway and 144 from London, in the Mid division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Belper union and petty sessional division, Alfreton county court district and rural deanery, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The railway and the Cromford canal pass along the south-western border of the parish, and the line from Ambergate to the north also bounds the parish on the south-east. The church of St. Mary, situated on a commanding height, is a building of stone, in mixed styles, partly Norman, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, and a western tower with spire, containing a clock and 5 bells, dating from 1620 : the monuments include several to the Dixie family, and others to the Poles of Wakebridge, lords of the manor of that name, one of whom was falconer to Henry VII. ; there is also a memorial with a most curious epitaph to a member of the Clay family, and an inscribed stone slab to Anthony Babington esq. of Dethick, who with 13 others, engaged in a conspiracy to assassinate Queen Elizabeth, and raise the country, in favour of Mary Queen of Scots, then imprisoned in Wingfield Manor ; but the plot being discovered, the conspirators were arrested and executed at Tyburn, 20 and 21 Sept. 1586: there are three memorial stained windows : the church plate is dated 1712 : the church affords about 500 sittings. The registers date from the year 1604. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £244, with residence, in the gift of five trustees, and held since 1875 by the Rev, William Acraman, of St. Aidans, who is patron of the Iivings of the adjoining parishes of Tansley and Wessington. The mission church at Fritchley, one mile south-east, built in 1870, is also used as a day school; it was enlarged in 1874, and affords about 150 sittings, The Baptist Chapel, a building of stone, with a clock, was erected in 1877, and has sittings for 300 persons. The Free Methodist chapel was built in 1864. and there are also chapels belonging to this sect at Crich Carr and Wheatcroft, and Primitive Methodist chapels at Crich, erected in 1853, Crich Carr, Fritchley, erected in 1852, and at Morewood Moor. There is a small Wesleyan chapel and a Congregational chapel at Fritchley, erected in 1841. In the village is an ancient stone market cross ; (restored in 1871) : the upper part of which includes a group figure of St. Michael overcoming the Dragon. The market has been revived, and is held weekly on Friday. Fairs for sheep and cattle are held on the 6th of April and 11th of October. Emma Hurt's charity amounts to £47 yearly. the odd £7 goes to Wessington ; Cornthwaite's Charity, left in 1838, amounts to £6 7s. yearly for clothing ; Cooper's, of £6 5s. 10d. left in 1853, is distributed in money ; Wright's Charity, amounts to £17 14s. 6d. yearly, and is given to regular attendants at church. The charities for the township of Wessington amount to £10 yearly. The yearly sum of £7 5s. from the Rev, Francis Gisborne's Charity, received by the vicar and churchwardens and laid out in the purchase of flannel for the poor. In 1562 John Kirkland left £2 yearly to the poor of this parish for ever, which is distributed on St, Thomas' day. Sim's Charity, a benefaction of recent date, amounts to about £50, and is distributed so as to promote religious education. The inhabitants are principally employed in the adjacent quarries which produce Iimestone and gritstone of a superior quality, a large quantity being sent to London and other parts. Lea mills and other industrial centres in the neighbourhood also give employment to many, and the manufacture of hosiery by hand is carried on to a very considerable extent. There is a lead mine in operation at Wakebridge ; the Butterley Company have extensive quarries and lime kilns at Bull Bridge; at Ambergate are the limeworks of the Clay Cross Company, and at Whatstandwell are the gritstone quarries, the property of Duke of Devonshire K.G. At Crich is a reading room, a stone building, erected in 1887, at a cost of £300. Chase Cliffe, erected in 1859, is a handsome mansion of stone, pleasantly situate in grounds tastefully laid out, and is the property and residence of Miss Hurt. On Crich Stand, which has an elevation of upwards of 950 feet above the level of the sea, is a circular tower, 50 feet in height, erected in 1851, on the site of a former tower) by the late Francis Hurt esq. of Alderwasley. On July 6th, 1882, a considerable landslip occurred which reached nearly to the base of the tower and demolished four houses. The principal landowners are Lieut.-CoI. Albert Frederick Hurt D.L., J.P. of Alderwasley, and W. Shore-SmIth esq. of Embley Park, Romsey, and there are several smaller freeholders. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. is also a landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil, gritstone. The land is chiefly in pasturage. The acreage of the township is 3,750; rateable value, £13,102; the population in 1881 was 2,984.

FRITCHLEY is a village 1 mile south-east, with a mission church; CODDINGTON, half a mile west ; BULL BRIDGE, 1½ miles south; PLAISTOW GREEN, 1 mile north; and WHEATCROFT 2½ miles north, are hamlets. Crich Carr and Whatstandwell are also places here. Crich Carr is that portion of the parish near Whatstandwell railway station and is increasing in population.

Parish Clerk, John Wetton.

POST, M. O.& T. O., S. B. & Government Insurance & Annuity Office. -John Higton, postmaster. Letters arrive through Derby at 8.10 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.45 p.m

POST, M. o.. Insurance & Annuity Office, Whatstandwell.-Timothy Martin, postmaster. Letters arrive from Derby at 5.40 a.m. ; dispatched at 7 p, m. The nearest telegraph office is at Crich

POST OFFICE, Fritchley. -Thomas Davidson, receiver. Letters through Derby arrive at 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.10 p. m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Crich

WALL LETTER Box, at Crich, cleared at 5.30 p.m
WALL LETTER Box, at Fritchley, cleared at 6.10 p. m

SCHOOLS:- Parochial (mixed) (Crich), erected in 1848 for 330 children ; average attendance, 110 boys & girls & 40 infants ; Alfred Moody, master; Mrs. Alma Moody, infants mistress

National (Crich Carr), erected in 1884 for 80 children; average attendance, 75 ; Thomas L. Whitehouse master

National (Fritchley), erected in 1870 as a mission church & school & enlarged in 1874 by the addition of an infants' school room, it will hold 41 children: average attendance, 130 ; Thomas L. A. Cousens, master; Mrs. A. M. Cousens, mistress

British (Crich), erected in 1884-5; for 260 children; average attendance (mixed 175), infants, 52 ; Heyworth Dyson, master

Railway Station, Whatstandwell, Charles Whitmore, station master

Crich.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Acraman Rev, William, Vicarage
Boag Henry Basil, Bank house, Plaistow
Connell Thos. South view, The Common
Coupe George, Grove house
Dawes Robert, Tor view
Derbyshire James, The Common
Drury Rev. George [curate], Dimple vil
Dunn Christopher BIencowe Noble M.R.C.S. The Tors
Hopkins Miss, Dimple house
Howett Joseph, Crich common
Hurt Miss, Chase cliffe
Jackson Thomas, Field house
Lee John Isaac, Church view
Lee Mrs. Walker, The Bower
McCheane WiIIiam C. The Mansion ho
Macdonald GeorgeGodfrey M.B
Paling Wllliam Thomas
Saxton John, The Sycamores
Saxton Mrs. The Hollies
Smith Ferdinand, Church view
Storer John
Young Mrs. Rose cottage

COMMERCIAL.
Bacon George, Wheatsheaf inn
Baker Sarah (Mrs.), saddler
Baldwin Joseph, farmer, Pot Ho. farm
Barratt Joseph, beer retailer
Bingham Thomas, farmer, Edge farm
Boag Henry Basil, agent for the Clay Cross Co.'s quarries, Cliff
Boag Robert, contractor
Boden Thomas, boot maker
Bowmer Samuel, farmer & surveyor of highways, Sheldon house
Brocklehurst Henry, Greyhound P.H
Brown George, boot maker
Brumwell George Herbert, Black Swan P.H. ; good stabling accommodation
Burton Jeremiah, farmer, The Common
Burton Samuel, Bull's Hlead P.H
Cheetham Ann (Mrs.), butcher
Clay Cross Company's Quarries (Henry Basil Boag, agent)
Cotton Robert., farmer, Plaistow
Cowlishaw Henry, shopkeeper
Crich Reading Room (H. Dyson, sec)
Critchlow Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Edgmoor
Crooks Samuel, farmer, Plaistow
Curzon Fred!'rick, tailor
Dawes John, stationer &c
Denny John, farmer
Derby & Derbyshire Banking Company Lim. (branch to Belper), open tuesdays & fridays 11 am. to 2.30 p.m. ; draw on Williams, Deacon & Co. London E C
Dunn Christopher Blencowe Noble, surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator, Crich, Lea & Holloway district, Belper union
England Hlannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Evans Elizabeth ( Mrs.), grocer
Gibbons Daniel, farmer, Wheatcroft
Greaves Abraham, chemist
Greenhough Thomas, grocer & farmer
Greenhough William, jun. butcher
Hallam George, shopkeeper
Hancock John, farmer
Haslam Arthur, mason
Hawkins John, farmer, Plaistow green
Haynes John, carpenter & cabinet maker
Higton John, butcher, Post office
Hitchcock Saml. farmer, Plaistw green
Holmes Samuel, shopkeeper
Holmes William, Jovial Dutchman P.H
Hopkinson John, farmer, Wheatcroft
Hopkinson Joseph, farmer, Wheatcroft
Howitt Joseph, farmer, The Common
Hunt James, saddler
Kirk EIijah, tailor & woollen draper
Knowles Samuel, boot repairer
Lee Brothers, wholesale & family grocers, tallow chandlers & cheese factors &c
Lynam William, farmer, Moorwood moor
Macdonald George Godfrey M.B. surgeon
Marshall William, farmer, Wheatcroft
Martin William, hair dresser
Mather Henry, farmer
Mellors George, boot maker
Mowbray George, farmer, Wheatcroft
Ottewell Isaac, farmer, Culland
Perry Charles, shopkeeper
Petts WiIliam, stone & monumental mason, Common
Platts George, farmer
Poyser Ann (Miss), farmer, Chase
Radford John, farmer
Robinson Joseph, grocer & farmer
Saxton John, insurance agt. The HoIlies
Shipley William, watch maker
Shipston Sarah (Mrs.), grocer
Smith Arthur, butcher & farmer
Smith George Ashbourne, wheelwright & farmer
Smith James, wheelwright
Southern Charles William, chemist
Spendlove Robert, farmer, Plaistow
Stocks John, baker & grocer
Stocks Samuel, Royal Oak P.H
Stoppard (Aaron) & Walker (Charles), farmers, Hollins farm
Swindell Samuel, farmer, Cowpershane
Taylor John, farmer, Plaistow
Taylor Thomas, blacksmith
Taylor Vaughan, butcher & farmer, The Mount
Thorpe Thomas, farmer
Turner George, farmer, Wheatcroft
Walker Ellen (Miss), King's Arms P.H
Walker Frederick, draper
Wass & Son (trustees of) (A. McL. Alsop, agt.), Wakebridge mine & smelting wks
Whitaker Joseph, grocer & farmer
White John, farmer
Wightman James, grocer
Wildgoose John, Rising Sun P.H
Wilton Thomas & Edward, farmers, Wakebridge farm
Woodward James, farmer, Plaistow hill
Young William, farmer, Park head

Coddington, Crich Carr & Whatstandwell.

Marked thus * are Coddington.
Marked thus † are Crich Carr.
Without a mark are Whatstandwell.

Alsop James, Derwent house
Horton John
Kirk William, Cliff villa
Mason Charles, jun
Newton James
Smith Ernest Le Blanc
† Ward Mrs. Leedway bank COMMERCIAL.
† Allsop Rllbert, besom broom maker
*Broadhurst Daniel (Mrs.), farmer
Bryan Richard Peach, farmer, Bent hill
Bunting Ann (Mrs), blacksmith
Caudwell William, farmer, Thurlow booth
Flint George, Wheatsheaf P.H
Hawkes Frances (Mrs.), private school, lrvine villa
Lee George, shopkeeper
Ling, Herbert Jones, Derwent hotel
Martin Timothy, grocer, provision merchant, & post office
Merchant Joseph, coal merchant
Merchant Joseph jun. butcher
Shaw Matthew, brick & tile manufactr. WigwelI brick works & Carr cottage
Sims Anthony, farmer & stone merchant
STATHAM ARTHUR, timber merchnt. saw & moulding mills & joinery wrks.

Whatstandwell
Whatstandwell Coffee Room (William Peacock, manager)
*Yates Walter, farmer Fritchley & Bull Bridge.
Alsop Mrs. The Beeches, Bull bridge
Crozier Mrs.
Day John Henry, The Limes
Sargent Mrs

COMMERCIAL.
Ambergate, Crich, Bull Bridge & Fritchley Gas Go. Lim. (John Dawes, sec. ; John Bown, manager) ; works, Bull bridge
Blackham Thomas, grocer
Bowmer Thomas, farmer
Butterley Company's Quarries & Lime Works (Jn. Hy. Day agent), Bull bridge
Chell George millwright
Curtis & Harvey's Gunpowder Magazine, (John Henry Day, agent), Bull bridge
Davidson Thomas, grocer, draper &c. & post office
Derbyshire Jesse, farmer, Barn Close farm
Else Charles Joseph, farmer & landowner, Bull bridge
Fletcher Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Fritchley William, farmer
Gaunt George, Red Lion P.H
Gaunt Robert, rent dealer
Kneebone Philip, farmer
Knighton Joseph, shopkeeper
Leafe Edwin, hand machine hosiery mfr
Poyser James, boot & shoe maker
Radford Joseph, miller (water) & farmer, Fritchley & Bull bridge mill, Heage
Radford Samuel, farmer
Radford Thomas, shopkeeper
Redfern Job, Lord Nelson P.H. Bull bridge
Rowe Tom Anthony beer retailer
Slack James, miller & farmer
Stevenson Jos. hand made hosiery manfr
Wake Hugh, cabinet maker
Watkins Edward, bobbin manufacturer, wood turner & timber merchant, Bull bridge, Ambergate
Wilkinson George, Canal inn, Bull bridge


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Crich and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Matlock

Also see
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills
Our Genealogy