Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
North Wingfield, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.328 - 329
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page

Is the surname CLAY mentioned in your old North Wingfield wills or documents?
If so, please
email webmistress


North Wingfield Parish Church, St. Lawrence (Photo Gallery)


NORTH WINGFIELD is a township and parish, celebrated for its extensive coal, lime and ironstone beds, seated on an eminence, about a quarter of a mile south-west from Clay Cross station on the main line of the Midland railway, 4 miles south from Chesterfield, 20¼ north from Derby and 146 from London, in the Chesterfield division of the county, hundred of Scarsdale, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Chesterfield, rural deanery of Chesterfield, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell.

North Wingfield parish originally comprised six townships, viz., NORTH WINGFIELD, with WILLIAMSTHORPE, CLAY LANE, PlLSLEY, STRETTON, TUPTON and WOODTHORPE; of these the township of Pilsley is now a separate parish, and is given under a separate head; the townships of Clay Lane, Stretton and Woodthorpe form the parish of Clay Cross (which see). The church, dedicated originally to St. Lawrence, but subsequently transferred to St. Helen, and called by her name so late as 1644, is a building of stone, consisting of clerestoried chancel, nave of four bays, with clerestory, aisles, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower of Perpendicular date, 100 feet in height and containing 6 bells, the 3rd of ancient date and the rest dating from 1617 to 1811 : there are still existing some remains of the earlier fabric of Late Norman date, and comprising a window in the north aisle, with toothed mouldings and singularly designed capitals, and an arch between the north aisle and the small transeptal chapel at its eastern end : the chancel has the unusual feature, on both sides, of three clerestory windows : the east window, a Decorated work of about 1320, was refilled with stained glass in 1879, by the Rev. G. W. Darby M.A. late rector, as a memorial to his wife, and in 1880 a memorial window was erected in the chancel to the Rev. James Barrow M.A. rector here, 1861-78 : on the north side of the chancel is an arch, reopened in 1880 and communicating with the transeptal chapel : on the exterior south wall of the chancel, within an ogee arch, lies the mutilated figure of a knight, previously on the floor of the chapel, and the knightly effigy previously within this arch has been transferred to a canopied recess in the interior north wall of the chancel, carefully restored by the aid of fragments discovered in unmasking the wall : in the north aisle, at the south-east angle, are the stairs, still perfect, which anciently led to the rood loft ; at the foot of these stairs is a square recess or almery, the upper side of which is formed of part of a carved semi-effigial memorial : at the east end of this aisle is the chantry chapel, already mentioned, founded, in pursuance of a licence from Henry VII. by John Babyngton knt. and Ralph Savage, 4th February, 1488, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin : the Decorated tracery of the east window of the chapel has been renewed ; on its walls, beneath Decorated canopies, are various interesting stone carvings in high relief, some portion of which may represent the "Annunciation :" here also are several stone effigies of the Deincourt family, which have been rearranged : on the floor of the chapel are the shattered remains of an early memorial slab with a figure in slight relief, taken from the arch on the outside wall of the chancel, and upon which the knightly effigy formerly there had been placed : in the south aisle is an interesting piece of sculpture, representing the martyrdom of St. Lawrence, found in 1860 beneath a crocketed canopy : the south porch is mainly built of fragments previously utilized in other parts of the building : the font in use is an octagon dating from 1662 : the church has been partially rebuilt or restored during recent years: in 1860 the south aisle was rebuilt on the same site, and in 1872 the clerestory of the nave with its roof and the north aisle were restored ; in the wall of the aisle were found various fragments of ancient incised slabs, and its inner face had been covered with scriptural texts, in black letter, of the Elizabethan age, and a fresco of St. George and the Dragon : the clerestory windows, previously renewed in a debased style, were filled with simple tracery, the semicircular roof of plaster removed and the open- timbered I4th century roof carefully renovated : during the repairs at this time various incised slabs were met with, some of which had served as lintels for the clerestory windows : the repairs carried on during the year 1880 involved the construction of entirely new foundations to the piers of one arcade, the bases and piers themselves being also partially renewed ; new roofs of oak, covered with lead, were placed over the chapel and transept, the hagioscopes in the chancel arch piers reopened, the nave and chancel floors relaid and the interior reseated in oak : the church was reopened in December, 1880, and has 400 sittings. In the churchyard are several interesting old monuments and a stone sun dial, of great antiquity: the churchyard was enlarged in 1887 by the addition of 2 acres. The register, much of the earlier part of which is illegible, dates from the year 1567. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £850, net yearly value £767, including 86 acres of glebe, with residence in the gift of George Barrow Darby esq. and held since 1889 by the Rev. Joseph 0ldham B.D. of St. John's College, Cambridge. There are Methodist New Connexion and Primitive Methodist chapels at Wingfield ; a Primitive Methodist chapel at Ling's Row ; Primitive Methodist, Free Methodist and Methodist New Connexion chapels at New Tupton and a Methodist New Connexion chapel at Tupton. The chantry house, which adjoins the north-east angle of the churchyard, has for many years been an inn and is now known as the "Blue Bell," still retaining, however, some of its original features. The charities amount to £25 13s. 7d. yearly, distributed to the poor in money and flannel at Christmas. John James Barrow esq. J.P. of Holmewood, Tunbridge Wells, is lord of the manor of North Wingfield and the Hon. Mrs. Hunloke, is lady of the manor of Williamthorpe. The principal landowners are Joseph Bright esq. the Hon. Mrs. Hunloke and Colonel Packman. Soil and subsoil, chiefly clay and loam, with an admixture of rutchel stone in many parts. The chief crops are wheat, oats and pasture. The area of the township is 1,449 acres ; rateable value, £8,092; the population in 1871 was 1,155, and in 1881 was 2,044, in the township.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Allibone.

Tupton is a township, about 2 miles north-west. Tupton Hill is now unoccupied. Clay Cross station is in this township. The area, 684 acres; rateable value, £8,842 ; population in 1881 was 1,374.

POST & M. O. O.,S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, North Wingfield.-Joseph Shepherd, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Chesterfield at 8 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.30 & 8.40 p.m. Clay Cross is the nearest telegraph office

POST OFFICE, Tupton.-Samuel Gregory, receiver. Letters via Chesterfield, arrive at 6.32 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.40 p.m. Clay Cross is the nearest money order office & Clay Cross railway station the nearest telegraph office

POST & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, New Tupton.-Henry Cowley, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Chesterfield at 6.45 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.25 p.m. Clay Cross railway station is the nearest telegraph office
North Wingfield & Tupton are included in Clay Lane United School Board district

SCHOOLS :-
Board, erected in 1883, for 169 boys, 138 girls & 200 infants; average attendance, 124 boys, 92 girls & 89 infants ; James Hoades, master; Miss Mary Ann Hebb, mistress; Miss Ellen Haslam, infants' mistress
Board, New Tupton, erected in 1875, for 136 boys, 112 girls & 160 infants ; average attendance, 116 boys, 94 girls & 102 infants; William Henry Newbould, master; Miss Mary Eva Walker, girls' mistress; Miss Louisa Cleverley, infants' mistress

North Wingfield.
Crondace Thomas Dacre, The Elms
Drabble Mrs. Park villa
Oldham Rev. Joseph B.D. Rectory
Ormesher Rev. Jsph. Edwd. B.A.[curate]

COMMERCIAL.
Allen George, White Hart P.H. & farmr
Baggally Elizabeth (Miss), farmer
Caunt George, farmer
Coupe William, The Gate P.H. & farmer
Dolman Charles, agent for Wesleyan & General Assurance Go
Draycott William, farmer
Eyre Jonathan, painter
Goodrich William Dixon, farmer, Williamthorpe
Hall Henry, Miners Arms' P.H.& shopkpr
Haywood William, Midland hotel
Heaton Elizabeth (Mrs.), Blue Bell P.H.
Holmes John, carpenter & farmer, Little Morton, farmer
Holmes John, farmer, Lings farm
Holmes Joseph, grocer & farmer; also assistant overseer & rate collector
Hopkinson Thomas, farmer
Joule Anice (Mrs.), farmer, Manor house, Williamthorpe
Marsden Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Williamthorpe
Marstone Jonathan, clothier &c. see Salway & Marston
Millns Rebecca (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Epthorn lane
Mitchell Herbert, shopkeeper, Waterloo
Mosley John, shopkeeper & farmer
Quarrell James, boot ma. Epthorn la
Redfearn George, cashier to Wingerworth Coal Co
Reynolds Thos. smallware dlr. Waterloo
Salway & Marstone, clothiers, drapers, boot & shoe dealers & dealers in bicycles, musical instruments & sewing machines, Epthorn lane
Shaw William, certificated manager to Wingerworth collieries
Shepherd Joseph, grocer & beer retlr. Post office, Epthorn lane
Simpson George, shopkpr. Speedwell row
Thorpe James, grcr. & beer ret. Waterloo
Turner George, farmer, The Farm
Waine Jonathn. Waterloo hotel, Waterloo
Watts Edward, beer retailer
Wingerworth Coal Go. (Jn. Ward, mngr)

Tupton.
Yerhurgh John E. Ankerbold house

COMMERCIAL.
Bannister Reuben, brick maker
Brailsford Henry, farmer, Hagg hill
Dalton John Albert, farmer
Davenport Thomas, builder & joiner, New Tupton
Davidson John & Thomas, farmers, Ankerfield farm
Farnham Wm. fm. bailiff to Col. Packman
Knighton Luke, grocer
Maiden Edward, builder
Metcalf Richard, butcher
Metcalf Richard, butcher
Nadin Isaac, White Hart P.B. & farmer, Station
Stacey Charles, blacksmith
Stopard George, draper
Stoppard Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Thomas Jas. Hy. grocer & beer retailer

New Tupton.
Clay Cross Co-operative Society (branch ) (Charles Higginbottom, manager)
Corbett William, grocer
Cowley Henry, grocer & drpr. Post office
Ewing John, seedsman
May Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Metcalf Elizabeth (Mrs.), Britannia P.H. & farmer
Poyser John, New inn
Rhodes George, boot & shoe maker
Saville Thomas, grocer, tea & provision dealer, corn & flour dealer & butcher, dealer in drgs.& beer ret. New Tupton
Watts George, farmer
White William, farmer


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about North Wingfield and the surrounding area
Pilsley in Kelly's 1891 Directory
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Our Genealogy
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills