Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
South Wingfield, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.329-30
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page


Wingfield Manor (1)



Wingfield Manor (2)






Are surnames
SUDBURY or NEWTON mentioned in your old South Wingfield wills or documents?
If so, please
email webmistress
SOUTH WINGFIELD is an extensive parish, pleasantly situated on an eminence, with a station on the main line of the Midland railway, 2¼ miles west from Alfreton, 4 north from Derby, l0¼ south from Chesterfield, 7 east from Wirksworth and 141 by rail from London, in the Mid division of the county, Scarsdale hundred, Belper union, Alfreton petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Alfreton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The river Amber passes through the parish. The church of All Saints, situated at Oakerthorpe, half a mile from the village, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled tower on the north-west, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells, the first three dated 1693 and the rest respectively 1731, 1736 and 1841 : the chancel, erected about 1360, has plain square-headed windows, formerly filled with Decorated tracery, and is entered from without by a small doorway with an ogee-shaped head : the main portion of the Church seems to have been rebuilt by Sir Ralph Cromwell, 4th Baron Cromwell, of Tatshall, and the west window is a fair example of Perpendicular work : the nave is separated from the aisles by arcades of five pointed arches on either side on plain circular piers : the chancel retains a Decorated piscina with trefoil head and good crocketed carving, and in the opposite wall is an almery : on the chancel floor is ledger stone singularly used to commemorate three different interments, its upper portion being incised with the rude figure of a cross-bow, the centre bearing the initials C.M.A and the date 1634 and the lower part an inscription to Mary Toplis (1760) ; here is also another large slab inscribed to the Rev. Peter Cotes, vicar, d. 26 Jan. 1675 : from a beam of the south-west corner is a funeral garland, carried at the funeral of Ann Kendall, a maiden of this village, d. 4 May 1745 : the original font is disused : the church was rebuilt in 1803 : the chancel was restored by the Duke of Devonshire K.G. in 1877 : in 1885 the nave was also restored and reseated at a cost of about £320 : there are 200 sittings : in the churchyard are two sepulchral stones of the 13th century, one a coped slab and the other bearing in high relief the full-length effigy or a knight in a coif of mail and wearing a hauberk. The register dates from the year 1585 for all entries and is in fair condition. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £I50, net yearly value £180, including 55 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift or the Duke of Devonshire K.G. and held since 1875 by the Rev. Frederick White Christian M.A. or Trinity Hall, Cambridge. There are Wesleyan Methodist and Free Methodist chapels here, and a Particular Baptist chapel at Birches lane. In 1685 Samuel Newton esq. of Barbadoes, bequeathed £200 for the purchasing or land, the yearly revenue arising from which should be distributed amongst the poor : this charity, amounting to £5 yearly, is now administered under regulations named by the Charity Commissioners, part being given to the poor and part paid for teaching poor children of the parish ; the original school, together with the land, has been sold and the proceeds given by the Poor Law Board towards the building of a Board school. An annual sum of £7 5s. received by the vicar out of the Rev. Francis Gisborne's (Staveley) charity, left in 1818, is laid out in flannel, distributed to the poor at Christmas : Philip Strelley's charity, amounting to £55 yearly, is administered by the Goldsmiths' Company as trustees, in accordance with the will of the testator, dated 1603. This manor formerly belonged to the Earls of Shrewsbury, but Edward, 8th earl, dying 8 Feb. 1617, without male issue, the property was divided into three parts, one of which went to the Savile family by the marriage of Sir George Savile, of Thornhill, kt. and bart. with the lady Mary, daughter of George, 6th Earl of Shrewsbury ; another part was sold about 1678 to Imanuel Halton, of Grey Stock, Cumberland, and the remaining part was bought in 1710 by Imanuel Halton and the Leacrofts of Wirksworth. The Haltons continued to reside in the Old Manor House until early in the present century, when Colonel Wingfield Halton moved to the little Manor House ; his son, the late Imanuel Halton, bequeathed the property to Miles Halton Tristram, lineal descendant of Lancelot Halton, only brother of the aforesaid Colonel Wingfield Halton ; the modern Manor House is the residence of Mrs. Tristram. The old Manor House, now an interesting ruin, was a splendid and spacious edifice, enlarged and beautified by Sir Ralph Cromwell, 4th Baron Cromwell, of Tatshall, and treasurer to Henry VI. ; it afterwards came into the possession of the Talbots, Earls of Shrewsbury, and Mary Queen of Scots, while in the custody of George, the sixth earl, passed several months here in 1569 ; at the commencement of the Civil War the mansion was garrisoned for the Parliament, but was taken by the Earl of Newcastle in 1643: in 1644 it sustained a siege, ultimately surrendering to the Parliamentary troops, and in 1646 was dismantled by order of Oliver Cromwell, Colonel Molineux being left in possession, and at the end of the year it was again in the hands of the Parliament. The principal landowners are Francis Nicholas Smith esq. J.P. John Pearson esq. and the trustees of Miles Halton Tristram esq. The soil is loamy ; subsoil, chiefly clay, and rutchel stone abounds in many parts. The chief crops are wheat and pasture. The acreage is 3,364 ; rateable value, £10,387; the population in 1881 was 1,226.

Oakerthorpe is a township in this parish. The South Wingfield station on the Midland railway is situated here. In the cellars of the Peacock hotel is an ancient and substantially built underground passage, which has been explored by the present landlord (Mr. James Mountney) for some 50 yards ; it is believed to have originally communicated with the Manor House ; underneath the present stables is a crypt connected with the house by an underground passage; the house itself has internally some remarkable features and formerly had an entrance hall of large size. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. who is lay impropriator of the Great tithes of Oakerthorpe, and R. C. Strelley esq. are the chief land-owners. The population is returned with the parish.

Parish Clerk, George Hawksley.

POST OFFICE, South Wingfield.-William Henry Wragg, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Alfreton at 7.40 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.45 p.m ; sundays, dispatched at 8.55 a.m. The nearest telegraph & money order office is at Alfreton.

POST OFFICE, Oakerthorpe.-Matthew Saxton, receiver. Letters arrive at 7.40 a.m. ; dispatched at 6 p.m. ; sundays, dispatched at 9.30 a.m

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1877 ; Henry Thurman, Alfreton, clerk.
Board School, erected in 1875, for 120 boys, 120 girls, 80 infants ; average attendance, 74 boys, 68 girls & 46 infants; Arthur Johnson, master; Miss Margaret GelIetly, girls' mistress ; Miss Ada Handley, infants' mistress.

Wingfield Railway Station, Oakerthorpe, George Smith Cunnington, station master

South Wingfield.
[Names marked thus * receive letters via Crich.]

Appleton William, The Manor cottage
Caudwell John, Rock house
Pearson Major Henry
Pearson John
Smith Francis Nicholas J.P. Wingfield park [letters should be addressed Pentrich, Derby]
Towlson Thomas Henry, Park
Tristram Mrs. The Manor house
Wildsmith Samuel

COMMERCIAL.
Anthony William, farmer, Park
Barker Samson, farmer, miller (water) & thrashing machine proprietor
Barrett William, farmer, Garner lane
Beardsley William, farmer
Bland Thomas, Horse & Jockey P.H
Booth Charles, boot & shoe maker
Booth James, Manor hotel, farmer & butcher, good stabling accommodation & horse & trap on hire, every accommodation for pleasure parties & visitors
Booth Joseph, shopkeeper
Booth Ormond, news agent
Bower Charles & Son, millers (water & steam) & corn merchants, Wingfield mill & 29 King street, Alfreton ; Nottingham road, Shipley & Somercotes
*Bowmer Thomas, farmer, Park
Bradley Elizh. (Mrs.), shopkpr. Birches la
Bramley Albert, monumental mason, stone merchant & quarry proprietor, dealer in all kinds of Hopton wood & Colburn stone for fonts, monuments, chimney pieces &c. ; bones ground & sold for agricultural purposes, Stone quarry, South Wingfield park
Bramley Thedocia (Mrs.), farmer, Park
Brighouse William, joiner & builder
Brown Sarah (Mrs.), Blue Bell P.H
Bunting William, farmer
Butler Samuel, farmer, Manor farm
Carln Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Caudwell John, farmer, Rock house
*Clarke James, farmer & blacksmith, Morewood moor
Clayton Ellen (Mrs.), farmer, Morewood moor
*Cooper George, farmer, Morewood moor
Cooper John, farmer, Park
Cupit Elizh. (Mrs.), farmr. Catchills hill
Davenport John & Matthew Henry, farmers, Lodge Hill farm [letters should be addressed Pentrich, Derby]
*Dickens Thos. farmer, Morewood moor
*Flint William, farmer, Morewood moor
Fox John, farmer
Goodwin George, farmr. Inns House fm
Gregory George, shopkeeper
Harvey William, butcher
Hawksley Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
*Hawksley James, The White Hart P.H. & farmer, Morewood moor
Hawksley Moses, farmer
Hawksley Robert, shopkeeper
*Hinde Joseph, farmer, Park
Hopkinson Ann (Miss), shopkeeper
Hopkinson Harold, blacksmith & general smith
Hunt George Hurt, farmer & grocer
Hunt William, farmer, Park
Jackson Joseph, farmer, Park
James Joseph, tailor
*Key Wm. cowkeeper, Morewood moor
Lee Ann (Mrs.), boot & shoe dealer
Lee William, shoe maker, Birches lane
Lomas John, farmer, Park
*Ludlam John, farmer, Morewood moor
*Lynam Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer, Tithe farm, Park
Marriott Harriet (Mrs.), farmer
Marsden George, farmer, Park
Nix Adam, farmer
*Parnham Benjamin, farmer, Park end
Platts Mary (Mrs.), farmer & grocer
Purdy Thomas, farmer, Park
Robinson Alfd. Jn. Rt. yeast merchant
*Rogers Aaron, farmer, Morewood moor
*Slack Henry, farmer, Hill top
Smith John, grocer, Birches lane
Smithurst Elizh. Ann (Miss), dress ma
Swindall Samuel, farmer, Park
*Taylor John, farmer &: pig dealer Morewood moor
Taylor Samuel Arthur, butcher & farmr
*Thorpe William, farmer, Hill top
Towlson & Co. cotton doublers & lace thread manufacturers, Park mill
Towndrow (Benjamin) & Sims (Frank), farmers
Truman Richard, stone mason
Turner Daniel, beer retailer & shopkpr
Turner Florence (Miss), dress maker
Walters Peter, grocer
Wetton Samuel, joiner & builder & assistant overseer & collector of poor's rates & agent for Liverpool & London & Globe Fire & Life
Wood John, farmer, Hill Top farm
Wragg Wm. Hy. farmer & postmaster

Oakerthorpe.
Christian Rev. Frederick White, M.A. South Wingfield vicarage
Strelley Richard Charles, Hollybank ho
Wilson James Buck J.P. Dale house

COMMERCIAL.
Beastall John Wm. Anchor P.H. & farmr
Beastall William, farmer, Shaw wood
Beech Joseph, farmer, Ufton field
Cartwright Robert, manager of Manor Colliery Co. Lim. Oakerthorpe colliery
Clarke Peter, brewers' agent
Evans Thomas, farmer, Long croft
Handley Elizabeth (Mrs.), Crown P.H. & farmer
Harvey Catherine (Mrs.), farmer
Hawksley Aaron, farmer
Hodgkinson Thos.Harrison, blacksmith
Lynam James, farmer
Manor Colliery Co. Lim. (Robert Cartwright, manager ), Oakerthorpe colliery
Marsh Benjamin, farmer, Highfield
Mountney James, Peacock hotel, horse dealer & farmer
Nelson John, farmer, Ufton fields
Oakerthorpe Colliery Co. (Aaron Hawksley, manager)
Saxton Matthew, wheelwright, post office
Strelley Richard Charles, farmer & land owner, Hollybank house
Taylor George, Gate inn, & market grdnr
Wildgoose Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Winfield John, Old Butchers' Arms P.H. & farmer


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about South Wingfield and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Funeral Garland at Matlock Church describes an ancient custom that accompanied the burial of a maiden
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills