|Wingfield Manor (2), during and after the Civil
"1644 bella horrida bella"
The Latin words in South Wingfield's parish register for 1644,
quoted above, makes chilling reading - war horrible war.
Following the death in February 1616/7 of Gilbert Talbot,
seventh Earl of Shrewsbury, Wingfield Manor passed to the Earl
of Pembroke as he had married Talbot's eldest daughter.
At the outbreak of the Civil War the Earl garrisoned the Manor
for the Parliamentarians but
on 19th December 1643 Henry Cavendish, Marquis of Newcastle,
captured the Manor for the King following a twelve day siege.
When Cavendish moved on from South Wingfield, he left a strong
garrison behind him. Sir John Fitzherbert of Tissington was
in charge. However,
the Parliamentary forces were at Derby and this was a sharp
thorn in their side so Sir John Gell of Hopton eventually moved
to Wingfield and he, in turn, laid siege to the Manor.
|There were several efforts to relieve
the Parliamentarian siege but none were successful. Some
200 Royalist soldiers under Colonel Eyre were on their
way to Wingfield Manor but took quarters for the night
in Boylestone Church. Their whereabouts became known to
the Roundheads and a small force led by Colonel Sanders
surrounded the building. The Roundheads ambushed them whilst
they slept, and ordered to come out one by one. They were
seized and stripped of their arms without a shot being
fired, and marched to Derby as prisoners.
Another force under General Hastings was also driven back.
Gell was eventually sent "four great peeces" capable
of throwing thirty two pound balls. The wall was breached
and the Royalist garrison surrendered on 20 July 1646.
Wingfield Manor's governor, Colonel Danby, was shot at
point blank range and killed, possibly by a deserter.
In 1646 Parliament issued an order to dismantle the fortified
Wingfield Manor, by J. Gresley, 1863
After the Restoration the manor was bought by Imanuel Halton,
a distinguished mathematician, astronomer and musician, who
took up residence in 1666.
Cox said that in Halton's time parts of the building were unroofed
and went into decay, although he converted what had been the
banqueting hall into a two storey dwelling.
You can see the dwelling behind the trees in the image of the
Outer Courtyard (above).
Almost a century later, in 1774, further damage was done to
the structure by a descendant of Imanuel Halton's, another
Imanuel, who pulled down a considerable part of it and used
the stone to erect a house at the bottom of the opposite hill.
Halton also died at Wingfield Manor, on 17th February 1784.
Another view of the South front of South
(Outer) Court, which shows a number of chimneys.
By 1935 the historian Thomas L. Tudor and
others were becoming increasingly concerned about the state
of the Manor and the matter was referred to the Ancient Monuments
Board (H. M. Office of Works) with a report on the "terribly
dilapidated and even dangerous state of the ruins". The
board was understood to be willing to take over the guardianship,
providing the owner agreed. Reportedly, the ruins had been
getting worse for some years, parts of the structure already
fallen and several ancient chimneys were out of straight and
liable to collapse.
Wingfield Manor House, by J. Gresley, 1863.
Wingfield Manor remains in private ownership today but is now
looked after by English
Heritage. Visitors should be aware that it is a working
farm and there are certain areas where photography isn't permitted.
There is more about Wingfield
Manor on the previous page
1. "Wingfield Manor", published by Valentine & Sons,
Ltd. of Dundee [no date]. From Ward Lock's Guide to "Matlock",
2. "Window, Wingfield Manor", published in The Reliquary,
Vol 4 (1863-4).
3. Postcard "Outer Courtyard, Wingfield", published by
R. Sneath, Paradise St., Sheffield, The Peak Perfection Series
No.22. Not posted. Possibly 1920s.
4. "Wingfield Manor, South front of South Court. Illustration
by Nellie Erichsen from Firth.
5. Wingfield Manor House", published in The
Reliquary, Vol 4 (1863-4).
All images in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.
Wingfield Parish Registers & Bishop's
Transcripts" (1585 - 1901), 1990, Transcribed by J.
Smedley, W. Petford, Derbyshire FHS.
 Firth, J. B. (1908) "Highways
and Byways in Derbyshire" MacMillan & Co., London.
was a leading Royalist. The "Encyclopædia
Britannica" [on line] shows that he was created Marquis
of Newcastle, then Earl (along with other titles) in the reign
of Charles I. Following the Restoration of the monarchy he
became a Duke on 16 March, 1665.
 Cox, John Charles, (1915, 2nd
edition, revised), "Derbyshire" - Illustrated
by J. Charles Wall, Methuen & Co., London.
 Halton was born at Greystoke, Cumberland.
He married Mary, a daughter of Mr. John Newton, of Oakerthorpe, and
died at Wingfield Manor on 31 Oct 1699.
 Ward, Reverend Richard (1814) "The
Matlock, Buxton and Castleton Guide, containing concise accounts
of these and other remarkable places ... in the ... County
of Derby", Derby. Ward was rather restrained about
people's views on the new house, just saying it "was to
the regret of the admirers of this once beautiful and interesting
Gothic mansion. In comparison, Cox didn't
mince his words, saying Halton had built "a square house
of appalling ugliness at the bottom of the hill".
 "The Derby Mercury",
19 February 1784. "On Tuesday the 17th Inst. died, at
Wingfield Manor in this County, Immanuel Halton, Esq; one of
his Majesty's Justices of the Peace for this County, and a
Captain in our Militia, which Duties he fulfilled with much
Credit and Reputation.
 Thomas Linthwaite Tudor wrote ""The
High Peak to Sherwood, The hills and dales of old Mercia",
(1926), published London by Robert Scott.
 "Derby Daily Telegraph",
9 July 1935. Wingfield Manor in Imminent Danger of Collapse.
Several thousand pounds needed, with an initial outlay of £400.
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire
Wolley Manuscripts, Matlock
Directory of Derbyshire, 1891: South