|Boarden Bridge, Borough Road, Godalming, 1906
Until 1870 Borough
Road was just a short stretch of road between the parish church
and what is today the former vicarage, extending as far
as the animal Pound just past the bottom of the churchyard.
The road then narrowed to a track way down to the River Wey and
the wooden Boarden Bridge was the only means of crossing the river
on the western side of Godalming.
A brick bridge was then constructed, parallel
with but somewhat higher than the Boarden Bridge and the track
way was widened to form a roadway. It followed the same course
as the track, passing underneath the plate girder railway
bridge to the Deanery Road / Charterhouse Road / Chalk Road crossroad.
Early maps show the bridge and track way provided access to
the Westbrook Leather Mills.
This Edwardian postcard shows two young boys leaning
on the railings, looking at the photographer.
"Godalming, Old Boarden Bridge. F. Frith & Co.
Ltd., Reigate, No. 57056. Not posted.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.
 The date is provided by Janaway,
John "The Story of Godalming" (1983)
Local Heritage Books, Newbury ISBN 1 86368005 4.
 The brick bridge does not appear
on the 1871 Ordnance Survey map.