|Charterhouse Bridge & Hindhead Road, 1900
Charterhouse Bridge looks similar today, give or take a few notches
out of the stonework caused by large lorries colliding with
the bridge! Locals these days may not recognise the name Hindhead
Road as the road going up the hill past the Charterhouse school
entrance (on the right, via the bridge). It is now Sellar's
Hill and a grassed area blocks the road off from Charterhouse
Road traffic. However, Hindhead Road used to stretch from here
up to what is now Twycross Road and then along and down Frith
Hill Road, joining Deanery Road. The name was changed at some
stage between 1919 and 1934. The bridge is Victorian Gothic
and built of Bargate stone and was initially the main entrance
into the school.
Charterhouse Road, which goes under the bridge, was called
Sandy Road until the late nineteenth century. By the 1901 census
it had been renamed Charterhouse Road.
The Craddock's black and white card of the bridge (below)
was published a few years earlier. Interestingly, the footpath
on the left had side of the road went under the bridge and
1. "Godalming, Charterhouse Bridge & Hindhead
Road" published by F. Frith & Co. Ltd., Reigate
in 1906. No. 57053. Indistinct postmark but probably posted in
1907. Sent to Miss E. Lancester at Southsea. Personal message
2. "Godalming, Charterhouse Bridge". Craddock's Series. Posted
31 July 1903 in Godalming. Personal message is unrelated to the
Postcards in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.