|Charterhouse School, Godalming, 1900-07
When it was decided to move Charterhouse School from its original
home, close to Smithfield Market
six potential sites were identified from which the Governors
could make their choice. However, Godalming was the outright
winner because the then Headmaster, William Haig Brown, had relatives
in the area.
The school re-located in 1872.
The new school was built on 68½ acres of land that had
belonged to the Deanery Farm estate.
It was described as being "on the side of Frith Hill,
about seventy acres in extent, amid one of the choicest landscapes
of Surrey, above Godalming and the valley through which the
Wey slowly meanders in a framework of hills clothed with oak
and hazel and other goodly trees".
By 1891 the school had acquired more land in Godalming and
covered 92 acres and had expanded even further,
to 120 acres, by 1913.
The impressive main building, shown here, is Victorian Gothic.
It was designed by Philip Hardwick and constructed of the local
Bargate stone, with Bath stone dressings.
A similar view to the top image, though dates from 1900.
The card's sender living at 11 Great George Street, Godalming in
She wrote "This is
a school for boys on this P.C. It is a lovely place."
In 1903 a new stone built cloister in the Gothic style was
inaugurated on Old Carthusians Day as a memorial to former
pupils who had died in the Boer War and other campaigns.
A new transept was added to the chapel and dedicated at the
same time. The architect for these additions was W. E. Caroe.
1. "Charterhouse School, Godalming",
published by Valentine's No. 60113. Card first registered in
1907. This one posted Guildford 12 Apr 1913 to an address in Warren
Road, Guildford. Message not relevant to picture.
2. "Godalming, Charterhouse". Published by F.
Frith & Co. Ltd., Reigate, No.56155. First published in 1900.
This card posted 3 Jul 1915.
Postcards in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Written, researched by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.
 The school was part of what now
Hospital in Charterhouse. When the school moved to Godalming
the building it had occupied in London was sold to Merchant
Taylors' School and the site later became the Medical College
of St. Bartholomew's Hospital.
 Haig Brown's father in law was
the incumbent at Hascombe.
 All that remains of Deanery Farm
today is the farm building and a former barn, now the SS. Peter & Paul
Scout Hut, on Charterhouse Road.
 Brown, H. E. H. (1908) "William
Haig Brown of Charterhouse. A short biographical memoir".
Written by some of his pupils and edited by his son H. E. H.
Brown, Macmillan & Co.: London.
 Figures from Kelly's Surrey Directory
for those years.
 "London Daily News",
4 July 1903.