|War Memorial Chapel, Charterhouse School, 1927
The Archbishop of Canterbury laid the foundation stone of the
memorial chapel in 1922; it was to be erected to the honour
of the former Charterhouse pupils who had fallen during
the First World War. A sealed jar was
placed beneath the stone, containing the full list of the
Carthusians who served in the war, together with a copy
of the latest school and other lists. The ceremony was
held on the same day that the Carthusians, both former
pupils and those still at the school, played their annual
The chapel was designed by Gilbert Scott, R.A. elect
and was to cost £58,000. When it was first built it was
reported that Mr Frank Fletcher, the headmaster of Charterhouse,
and the committee who approved the commission had been inspired
by Scott's design for Liverpool Cathedral.
The chapel's architecture has been described as being of the
Crusader type, recalling the churches which the Crusaders built
in the Holy Land and
was built from stone quarried in the school grounds.
The dedication took place on 18 June 1927, the anniversary
day of the school moving to Godalming in 1872, and the service
was attended by eight bishops. Screens near the west end
bore the names of 686 who had lost their lives, out of the
3,000 Carthusians who went to war.
After the Second World War the memorial
Amongst the second group of names was that of Major-General
Orde Charles Wingate. On 11 March 1951 Vice-Admiral Earl
Mountbatten unveiled a tablet in the chapel in Wingate's
memory, subscribed for by officers and men who served under
him in Burma. Mountbatten paid tribute to Wingate and his
extraordinary skill in jungle warfare. He also read out a
message from Mr Churchill during the service. Churchill had
written: "It seems fitting that this memorial tablet
to one of the most brilliant and courageous figures of the
war should have been at Charterhouse, his school, where it
will stir and inspire future generations of young men to
defend the cause of freedom, for which he so heroically fought
"Memorial Chapel, Charterhouse". [Valentine's]
Published by Field Bros., 24 High Street, Godalming, No.201351
in 1927. Not posted.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.
 "Yorkshire Post and Leeds
Intelligencer", 20 June 1922.
 "Hull Daily Mail", 9
 "The Times", Monday,
20 Jun, 1927.
 "Dundee Courier," 12
March 1951. Churchill was then leader of the Opposition, becoming
Prime Minister for the second time on 21 Oct 1951.