Picture Gallery> Godalming, Surrey> This page
The Andrews Pages Picture Gallery : Godalming, Surrey
A selection of photographs and postcards of a Surrey country town
 
Frith Hill and River Wey, Godalming, 1907
Frith Hill and the River Wey


The photograph was taken from Godalming Bridge, looking north west across the Lammas Lands towards Chalk Road and Frith Hill. Behind and above the houses on Chalk Road one can just about make out the line of Frith Hill Road, called Hindhead Road when the picture was taken, and the junction with Deanery Road. There is a young man seated on a chair who is smiling at the photographer.



Coloured version of the top card.


Below is the view from the Town Bridge today. The telegraph pole has gone and Frith Hill is more wooded than it was; the ivy covering the buildings on the right is also a thing of the past. Godalming Library is housed in a building out of shot on the left.


View from the Town Bridge, 2010

1 and 2. "Frith Hill and River Wey, Godalming". Valentine's Series, No. 60106, first published in1907. British Manufacture. Sepia image not posted. Coloured version posted in Godalming in 1916
Postcards and 2010 photograph in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.



Godalming Pictures Index
Next page
Previous page
Elsewhere on this website
Godalming, Surrey (about)
Godalming, Surrey: Murder, Trial and Execution, 1817-18