|Frith Hill, Godalming, 1895
Standing out above the skyline is Frith Hill's water tower, which
was opened in 1880 for the Frith Hill Godalming and Farncombe
Water Co Limited. In 1891 the water tower's tank was recorded
as holding 28,000 gallons of water.
The rock face at the side of Frith Hill Road is clearly visible
(descending the hill from just below the tower); Frith Hill
Road was called Hindhead Road when this picture was taken.
On the left of the hilltop is Charterhouse
School, "situated on a plateau of elevated land
about half a mile north of the town, ... with a bathing place
on the banks of the Wey for summer bathing".
The bathing place can't be seen in this photograph as it was
quite a bit to the left.
Whilst the bottom of Charterhouse Road was well developed
and the houses at the end of Borough Road had recently been
built (shown centre right), there was no development on the
southern side of Peperharow Road. There were also few properties
on the north side of Peperharow Road although a few houses
had been built in Dean Road. The building to the south of Peperharow
Road, shown dead centre above, is probably a farm building
belonging to Deanery Farm.
"Godalming. Frith Hill". Published by
F. Frith & Co. Ltd., Reigate. No. 36147. Posted 9 May 1907
at Godalming and sent to Mrs. Nimes, Reigate. The message reads
"I suppose you are still collecting cards. ... The town
lies between two hills". Card first published in 1895.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Researched and written by and © Ann Andrews. Intended for personal use only.
 "Kelly's Directory of
1891. The water tower belonged to the Frith Hill Godalming
and Farncombe Water Co Ltd.
 Shown on old OS maps as Hindhead
Road, though by 1934 the name had changed to Frith Hill Road.
Frith Hill Road did exist in 1895 and, confusingly, Frith Hill
Road is recorded in the late nineteenth century and early twentieth
century census returns. However, the old maps show that what
was then Frith Hill Road is part of Knoll Road today.