|High Street, Godalming (no date but
The seventeenth century building on the right of the photograph
used to be numbered 28 and 29 High Street, with no. 28 on
the right. It has the date 1663 on a oval stone slightly
above but centrally between the first floor windows. The
horse drawn wagon belonged to Ernest Douglas Brown's Godalming
Nurseries which traded from the premises of 29 High Street
from about 1901.
The ground floor of the building was divided into lock up
shops by 1911, there was a telephone
exchange above no. 29 and only the upstairs floors of no. 30
George Holden & Son, Boots and shoe makers, used the shop
at no. 28. The
sign below the right hand window reads "Holden & Son"
and on left and it says "boots".
The High Street was renumbered in the 1960s.
The photograph below shows the upper floors and the intricate
seventeenth century brickwork in a little more detail.
"Block, High Street, Godalming". Published by
A Jury, opposite Market House, High Street, Godalming, no.1663. Not
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
© Andy Andrews. Researched by Ann Andrews. Intended for personal
 In the 1901 census Ernest Douglas
Brown described himself as a Nurseryman and florist. He was
born at Brockenhurst and boarded on Meadrow. Ten years later
he was married and living on Llanaway Road. Ernest Douglas
Brown also advertised in "Kelly's Directory of Surrey",
 The 1911 census is available on Find
 "Kelly's Directory of
Surrey" for 1891 shows Joseph Wright's bakers and
pork butchers at no. 27 and the census for that year shows
he lived at no. 27 whilst George Collier, a baker's assistant,
lived at no. 29. No. 28 High Street is not mentioned in the
census but "Kelly's" of 1891 advertises
George Holden & Son at the shop. By the time of "Kelly's
Directory of Surrey", 1913 the business was just
called Holden & Son.