This view is looking broadly west towards the
Pepperpot in the distance.
The young errand boy, with his friend who is lolling
nonchalantly against the lamp post, are standing outside The
Capital and Counties Bank at what was then 89 High Street.
Valentine Norman's chemist's shop,
"by appointment to Charterhouse" in 1891 when
he was living at and working from 87 High Street,
was beneath the circular suspended sign. The shop was
on the corner of Hart's Yard. Mr. Norman was still there in
by 1911 he had moved to 6 Queen Street and
his chemist's later moved to 12a High Street.
On the right hand side of the road was the large store run
by Arthur Augustus Barfoot (Barfoot & Co.) at 20 and 21
High Street. He sold school
outfits and was also
"by appointment to Charterhouse" and was
a costumier, tailor, hosier, hatter and shirt maker. The Barfoot
family initially lived above the shop but
by 1911 had moved to Risegate on Marshall Road.
The right hand window of their shop is full of shirts.
Next along the road are two small shops with what looks like
Register or Regency Office Servants written between the windows
on the first floor.
Beyond that is a three storey building, with a large lamp
over the front door, which housed the Little George Inn at
25-26 High Street. The Little George was for many years occupied
just the three storey building but eventually incorporated
the two storey property next door (where Mr. Chennell was murdered
The two became Timothy Whites and the premises is now Waterstones
and the Post Office at 68 & 70 High Street.
of the Little George have included:
James Tucker (1855 Directory);
George Edwards (1878 Directory);
Sarah Luff (1891 census), who took over after her husband
Frederick died (1891 Directory);
John H. White (1901 census);
Henry Gardiner (1911 census
 and 1913 Directory).