Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Cubley, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.104
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
CUBLEY is a parish comprising the villages of GREAT and LITTLE CUBLEY, the first situated to the north, and the latter on lofty ground west from the church, 139 miles from London, 6 south from Ashborne, 5 north from Sudbury, 7 north-east from Uttoxeter, 13 west from Derby and 4 west from Rocester, the nearest station, on the North Staffordshire railway, in the western division of the county, Appletree hundred and petty sessional division, Uttoxeter union and county court district, rural deanery of Ashhorne, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. There are two streams in the parish, called Bentley and Cubley, but they unite near the church and it is then called Bentley Brook. The church of St Andrew, a stone building standing on a gentle eminence near the high road from Ashborne to Sudbury, consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, north and west porches, and a lofty embattled tower at the west end containing 4 bells, the second and third bear invocations to SS. Barbara and Andrew, the treble is dated 1661 and the tenor 1688 : the large and massive circular font is Norman, as are three semi-circular arches, on round piers, which divide the nave and aisle, and the piers of the chancel arch with their capitals : the chancel is Early English of the last half of the 12th century, and has a stained east window to L. C. Humfrey esq, Q.C. and Emma, his wife, erected in 1874 by their children: on the south side of the chancel are three lancet windows; one, inserted in 1874, being a memorial to William Yates ; two others are filled with ancient 14th century glass, taken from the old east window: the tower, built in the reign of Henry VIII., is a fair example of Late Perpendicular, and terminates in an embattled parapet with pinnacles at the angles, it was restored in 1874 : and the exterior displays a series of coats of arms, illustrating the various alliances of the family of Montgomery : on the north side is a raised tomb of alabaster to Sir Nicholas Montgomery, the inscription on which, dated 27 March, 1435, disappeared some time since ; on the top lies the recumbent but much mutilated effigy of a knight in plate armour, wearing a collar of roses, and his head resting on a helmet; around the sides of the tomb are figures of angels holdings shields in bas-relief ; on the south side of the church, within an arch, are the remains of a marble tomb, projecting slightly from the wall, with six of its eight original compartments filled with figures; this monument, though much reduced and mutilated, has been identified as the tomb of Sir Nicholas Montgomery, the third of that name, ob. 3 August, 1494 and his wife Joan Haddon : in the south-east angle of the chancel is a small alabaster effigy or a female in a recumbent position upon a marble plinth: one other tomb against the south wall of the aisle, formerly an altar tomb beneath an arch, has been almost destroyed to make room for pews: the chancel retains a piscina, and on the walls are memorials to John Lonsdale D. D. Bishop of Lichfield (1843), and to John Davys esq. late patron of the church (1872) ; the chancel was restored in 1845 and again in 1874. The church was re-seated in 1885, at a cost or £80, and has 200 sittings : in the churchyard is an ancient yew tree, and a fine monument to Emma, widow of L. C. Humfrey esq. Q.C. (1873). The register dates from the year 1566, but is in several places illegible through damp and bad ink; the entries between 1672 and 1676 are missing, and there is a gap between 1723 and 1726 : with these registers are included those of Marston Montgomery up to 1660. The living is a rectory, with that of Marston Montgomery annexed, average tithe rent-charge £310, joint yearly value £523, including 5 acres of glebe, in the gift of the trustees of the late John Davys esq. and held since 1868 by the Rev. Cave Humfrey, of St. Bees. There is a Wesleyan chapel here, erected in 1874, with sittings for 150. John Harpur in 1686 gave 8s. yearly, and Bull's charity founded in 1708, produces 10s. yearly, both sums are to he given in bread to the poor. In ancient times a market and fair were held here, but both are now obsolete. Lord Vernon and S. W. Clowes esq. J.P. are lords of the manor and owners of nearly all the land. The soil is partly light and partly heavy ; subsoil, clay, marl and gravel. The land is chiefly in pasture for dairy produce. The acreage is 2,366 ; rateable value, £300 ; the population in 1881 was 300.

Sexton, George Brady.

POST OFFICE.-Mrs. Eliza Goodall, receiver. Letters through Derby arrive at 9.30. Box cleared at 3.55 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Longford & the telegraph office is at Sudbury

National School (mixed), erected in 1871 for 72 children ; average attendance 50, & supported by S. W. Clowes esq. J.P. ; George Till, master

CARRIER.-Thomas Wood, to Ashborne, saturday, 11 a.m.; to Derby, friday, 7 a.m. ; Uttoxeter, wednesday, 9 a.m

Humfrey Rev, Cave [rector]

Ashton John, farmer, Little Cubley
Atkins William, farmer, The Common
Baker James, cowkeeper
Barker Emma (Mrs.), farmer
Barker John, farmer, Little Cubley
Brown William, cowkeeper
Bull Henry, cowkeeper
Hull William, cowkeeper
Chadfield Hy. Thos. farmer, The Lodge
Coates William, cowkeeper
Coxon Isaac, farmer, Cubley wood
Gadsby John, cowkeeper
Gerrard Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Gillson William, blacksmith, Little Cubley
Goodall Henry, farmer, Coppice
Goodall Emily (Mrs.), farmer, Park hall
Goodall Rt. & Son, Cubley inn, & farmer
Goodall Walter Shirley, farmer
Harrison William, farmer, The Common
Harrison William, farmer, Manor house
Harvey Thomas, farmer, The Cottage
Hidderley Henry, farmer
Leason Joseph, cowkeeper
Milward William, wheelwright
Minion Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Mosley Thomas, farmer, Brook
Plant Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, The Firs
Radcliffe William, farmer & tailor
Roberts Mary (Mrs.), cowkeeper
Smith John, shoe maker
Smith Septimus, farmer
Steele Jacob Hall, farmer, Rough ground
Stone Frederick, farmer
Stone John, farmer, Little Cubley
Sturgess Nathaniel, bricklayer
Whitehouse Emanuel, brick & tile ma
Wilson William, wheelwright
Wood Thomas, carrier

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Cubley and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills