Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Denby, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.108-109
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
DENBY is an extensive parish and large scattered village, with a station on the Ripley branch of the Midland railway, 3 miles south-east from Belper, 8 north from Derby, 4½ north-east from Duffield and 134 from London, in the Ilkeston division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Belper union, Belper and Ilkeston County court district, Smalley petty sessional division, rural deanery of Duffield, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Mary the Virgin consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a Decorated western tower of three stages, with a parapet relieved by a wavy line of moulding, from within which rises a spire with two rows of dormer lights ; the tower contains 4 bells, the 3rd and 4th of which are dated 1604 : the chancel is of good Decorated character, and has a four-light east window with flamboyant tracery, filled with stained glass in 1889 ; in its south wall are two sedilia of equal height, with ogee crocketed canopies, and a piscina : the communion table is of 17th century date; in the north wall is a recess or almery, and in the projecting chancel pier at the east end of the north aisle a rather rudely cut piscina, with a credence shelf above it: the nave is separated from the south aisle by two rounded arches, springing from a circular central pier, and two semi-circular responds; the opposite arcade, believed to have been Saxon, was removed in 1838, when the wall of the north aisle was made level with that or the nave, and the north clerestory windows placed above those of the aisle ; the east window of this aisle is Decorated, the remaining windows of the aisles being Perpendicular, c. 1450: the high-pitched and picturesque porch dates from about 1735 : against the north chancel wall is the large and costly monument or Patrick, son of Jasper Lowe, and Jane, his wife, daughter of Sir John Harpur kt. of Swarkeston, consisting of two canopies, with full-sized kneeling effigies, the former in plate armour, and the latter in French cap and ruff ; in the background are the figures or four children; the inscriptions are missing: there is also a mural monument to John Lowe, 5th in descent from the Patrick above mentioned (1771), and another to Richard Lowe, of Locko Park, his brother (1785) : there are 320 sittings, 200 being free. The register dates from the year 1577, for all entries. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £10, net yearly value £140, including 32 acres of glebe, in the gift of William Drury N. Drury-Lowe esq. of Locko Park, and held since 1845 by the Rev, James Mockler M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. Population in 1881 was 1,287. The tithes are impropriated to Sir Henry Wilmot bart, and a portion devoted to repairing the chancel and maintenance of alms-houses in Derby. There is a Methodist chapel here, erected in 1841, and one at Bottles. A charity of £6 10s. left in 1817 by the Rev. Francis Gisborne, formerly rector of Staveley, is distributed by the vicar in clothing to the poor of the parish at Christmas. Denby is noted for its extensive collieries, the property of William Drury N. Drury-Lowe esq. ; here also are large blast furnaces for the production of pig iron, belonging to the Derby Iron and Coal Co. Limited. There is a large pottery and extensive brick and tile works. The locality produces also ironstone, cement and brick earth. William Drury N. Drury-Lowe esq. is lord of the manor; the principal landowners are William Drury N. Drury-Lowe esq. and Mrs. Eckersley. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and oats, and about two-thirds pasture, The area in acres is 2,395 ; rateable value, £8,739; the population in 1881 was 1,394.

OPENWOOD GATE 2¼ miles west, Robey Field 1 east, Smithy Houses 1 north-west, College 1 north, Bottles 1 south-west, Bottlebrook ½ south-west, and The Common 1 north-east, are places here.

Parish Clerk, John Northam.

POST OFFICE.-Henry Briscoe, receiver. Letters received through Derby, arrive at 5.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 7 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Kilburne. Kilburne is the nearest telegraph office for delivery & Denby station for dispatch of telegrams

POST OFFICE, Smithy Houses.-: Mrs. Ellen Pym, receiver, Letters received through Derby, arrive at 5.45 a.m. ; dispatched at 9-45 a.m. & 7,30 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Kilburne

Endowed School (mixed & infants) endowed with £30 yearly, arising from a sum of money left in 1739 by Mrs. Massey, & invested in land; the school was erected in 1867, enlarged in 1875, & again enlarged 1885 for 110 boys & girls & 60 infants ; average attendance, 113 boys & girls & 43 infants; John Northam, master; Miss Elizabeth Jane Weston, infants' mistress

Railway Station, Orlando Sims, station master

CARRIER TO DERBY, Mrs. Sarah Wood, from Ripley, fri

Eckersley Mrs. Old hall
Fryar Mark
Mockler Rev. James M.A. [vicar]
Simkiss John, Salterwood house
Slater William, Brook Vale cottage
Tomlinson Herbert
Turner Rev. Samuel, Pottery
Wheeler Joseph Bourne, Pottery


Beardsmore Thos. crate maker, Bottles
Bourne Jos. & Son, stoneware manufrs
Bowmer Isaac, farmer, Openwood gate
Briggs Thomas, cowkeeper, Street Lane
Briscoe Henry, shopkeeper, Post Office
Cobden Francis, shopkeeper, Bottle
Crooks Enoch, shopkeeper, Common
Crooks Samuel, farmer
Day Francis, farmer
Day Henry, farmer, Robey field
Denby Colliery (William Drury N. Drury-Lowe, proptr. : Mark Fryar, agent)
Denby Iron & Coal Co. Limited (John Simkiss, sec)
Evans William, farmer, Old hall
Fletcher Ralph, farmer, Denby common
Fletcher William, Drury-Lowe Arms; hotel, commercial & posting house, Smithy houses
Flinn John, farmer, Red moor
Ford Jacob, blacksmith, Smithy houses
Hall Jn. Bull's Head P.H. Denby common
Hartshorne Alexander, farmer
Hemingray Ferdinand, farmer, Openwood gate
Horsley Jas. farmer & assistant overseer
Hunt Thomas, cowkeeper
Jeffery William, farmer, High park
Johnson Sarah Ann (Mrs.), beer retailer, The Acres
Pegg Samuel, gamekeeper to W. D. N. Drury-Lowe esq. Redmoor
Poundall John, farmer, Park hall
Pym Ellen (Mrs), grocer, Post office, Smithy houses
Salterwood Colliery (Denby Iron & Coal Co. Limited, proprietors; Herbert Tomlinson, colliery manager)
Saunders Jn. farmer, Park Meadow ho
Severn Isaac, farmer, Bush farm
Shaw Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Over lane
Slack Herbert, farmer, Ticknalhill
Slack Jas. farmer, Carr & Crabhouse frm
Slater W. H. & J. brick & tile manufrs
Slater Joseph, farmer, Denby common
Smith Dewance, farmer
Smith Eliza (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Soar William, grocer, Bottle
Spalton William Henry, farmer
Vallence John, blacksmith, College
Woolley Samuel, farmer
Woolley William, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Denby and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills