Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Pentrich, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.283-284
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
PENTRICH is a township and parish, 5 miles north-cast from Belper, 2½ south-west-by-south from Alfreton, 3 west from Ambergate station, about 1¼ miles from the Butterley station of the Midland railway, which is 135 miles from London, in the Ilkeston division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Belper union, Smalley petty sessional division, Alfreton county court district, rural deanery of Alfreton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Matthew, standing on a gentle height, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch, and a low western embattled tower containing 5 bells, two of which are ancient ; the others are dated 1715 and 1869 : the nave arcades are late Norman, about 1150 ; the circular font, excluding the base, dated 1662, is also Norman, to which style the lower part of the tower probably belongs, its wall at this point being about 4 feet in thickness: the whole building seems to have been renovated and enlarged in the Perpendicular period, about 1430: in 1859 it was plainly but carefully restored, with new pews and roofs, at the cost of the Duke of Devonshire K.G. and in 1875 the chancel was re-floored and re-arranged: the east and south windows are stained and the sills of several windows are composed of sepulchral slabs with rudely incised crosses : there is a monument to Edmund Horne esq. of Butterley Hall, d. 1873: and the church affords 200 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1621, and of marriages and burials rather later; it contains also records of a large number of collections by Brief, and the signatures of 180 persons to the declaration of conformity to Presbyterian practices insisted on by the Parliament about 1646. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £60, gross yearly value £150 with 27 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire K.G. and held since 1874 by the Rev. William Jellicorse Ledward. There is a Wesleyan chapel here. The poor have £7 5s. from the Gisborne Charity in 1818 by the Rev. Francis Gisborne, sometime rector of Staveley, for flannel. There is a large colliery in this parish. In the garden of Mr. G. J. Beighton is a sundial on a stone pedestal, in good preservation, and dated 1660. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. is lord of the manor and chief land-owner. The soil is mixed, but loam and clay predominate ; subsoil, chiefly clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, roots and pasture. The area of the township is 1,883 acres ; rateable value, £2,388 ; the population in 1881 was 887 in the township, and 8,185 in the parish, which includes RIPLEY, which see.

CONEYGREY House is in this parish and near to it is a hill supposed to have been a Roman station.

WAINGROVES, formerly in this parish, is now included with Ripley.

POST & M. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance office.-William Burgin, postmaster. Letters arrive via Derby at 7.20 a.m. & dispatched via Ripley at 6.25 p.m. Nearest telegraph is at Swanwick

This place is included in Ripley United District School Board

National School (mixed) built about 1800 by a former Duke of Devonshire, for 120 boys & girls & 60 infants ; average attendance 60. George Mountford master; Miss Emma Painter, mistress

Ledward Rev. Wm. Jellicorse, Vicarage
Towlson Arthur John

Atkinson Richard, farmer, Coneygrey
Beighton George John, farmer
Booth Job, farmer
Booth Walter, shopkeeper
Cutts Thomas, assistant overseer & rate collector, Hartshay
Fletcher Brothers millers, (steam & water) & farmers
Godber Benjamin Old Dog P.H.
Haslam Wm. Colliery proprietr
Hepworth Mary (Mrs.) Devonshire Arms PH. & farmer, Lane end
Holmes Samuel, farm bailiff to W. C. Haslam esq
Moore James, farmer
Power John, farmer
Smedley Richard, farmer, Amberley fm
Tomlinson William, farmer
Topham Annie(Miss), farmer
Towlson & Co. cotton doublers & lace thread manufacturers, Egerton mill
Turton John, farmer
Wilson Gamaliel, farmer, Asherfield

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Pentrich and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills
South Wingfield Association, 1796, for the prosecution of felons. Also included Pentrich and other nearby parishes or townships as part of the group.