b. - born
dau. - daughter
m.and mar. - married
ob. - died
ob. s.p. - died without issue
s. - succeeded
- Children of Sir Richard Arkwright and Patience née
Holt, 1st wife
- (Richard, on the chart)
- Children of Sir Richard Arkwright and Margaret née
Biggins, 2nd wife
- 1 - Susanna, born 20 Dec 1761, m. 1780 to Charles Hurt
Esq., ob. 4 May, 1835 
- 2 - Ellen, born 26 Feb., 1764, died an infant
- 3 - Anne, died an infant
- Children of Richard and Mary, née Simpson
- (Richard, Robert and Peter are on chart)
- 4 - John, b. 27 Aug., 1785, m. 13 Apr., 1830, Sarah, dau.
of Sir H. Hoskyns, of Harewood, co. Hereford, Bart. (she
died 19 July, 1869), ob. 27 Feb 1858.
- 4a - [Issue of John above, not given]
- 5 - Charles, b. 22 Nov., 1786, m. 12 Dec., 1811, Mary,
5th dau. of E. S. W. Sitwell of Stainsby, ob. s.p. 28 Dec.,
- 6 - Joseph (Rev.), b. 9 Aug., 1791, m. 29 Oct., 1818,
Ann, dau. of Sir Robert Wigram, of Walthamstow, Bart., ob.
29 Feb 1864.
- 6a - [Issue of Joseph above, not given]
- 7 - Elizabeth, b. 29 May 1780, m. at Matlock, 27 Oct.,
1802, to Francis Hurt, of Alderwasley, Esq.
- 8 - Mary b. 3 Jan., 1788, ob. 9 June, 1803.
- 9 - Anne, b. 2 Aug., 1794, m. 24 Dec., 1818, Jas. Wigram,
- 10 - Frances, b. 28 Aug., 1796, ob. 4 Nov., 1863.
- 11 - Harriett, b. 9 Feb., 1798, ob. 7 Nov., 1815.
- Children of Richard and Martha Maria, née Beresford
- 12 - Richard, ob. 19 Nov., 1810, aged 5 weeks.
- 13 - Richard, ob. 18 Feb., 1813, aged 6 weeks.
- 14 - Agnes Maria, ob. 16 Mar., 1813, aged 4 years.
- Children of Robert and Frances Crawford, née Kemble
- 15 - George, Barrister-at-Law, J.P.., M.P. for Leominster,
b. 20 Aug., 1807, ob. s.p. 1856.
- 16 - William, Major 6th Dragoons, b. 12 Sept., 1809, m.
Fanny S., 2nd dau. of Edward Thornewill, of Dove Cliff, co.
Stafford., ob. 13 May, 1857, leaving issue.
- Children of Peter and Mary Ann, née Hurt
- (Frederic, on chart)
- 17 - Edward, b. 15 Dec., 1808, m. 24 April, 1845, ob. 1850.
mar. Charlotte, dau. of R. S. W. Sitwell, ob. 4 June, 1855.
- 17a - 3 daughters [Issue of Edward above, names not
- 18 - Francis, b. 17 Dec., 1809, ob. 12 June, 1812.
- 19 - Henry (Rev) b. March, 1811, vicar of Bodenham, M.A.
Camb., ob. 13 Jan., 1889. married1 Henrietta, dau. of Rev.
Chas. Thorneycroft, of Thorneycroft, co. Chester, m. 20 Sept.,
1838, ob. 8 Feb., 1844. married2 Ellen, dau. of John Horne
Purves, m. 1 July, 1849, ob. 17 Mar., 1883.
- 19a - [Issue of Henry and Henrietta (1st wife) above,
- 19b - [Issue of Henry and Ellen (2nd wife) above, not
- 20 - Alfred, of Gate House, Wirksworth, J.P. & D.L.,
b. 19 June, 1812, m. 13 March, 1845, ob. 19 Jan, 1887. m.
Elizabeth, dau. of G. H. Critchley, of Sunning Hill Park,
Berks., ob. 2 April, 1885.
- 21 - James Charles, b. 1 Oct., 1813, m. 1st, 29 June, 1854,
Isabel, dau. of W. L. Clowes, of Broughton, co. Lancaster,
who died s.p. 5 April, 1855 : 2nd, 28 April, 1864, Mary Esther,
dau. of Wm. Broadhurst, of The Friary, Newark. He ob. s.p.
16 May, 1896.
- 22 - Ferdinand William, J.P. & D.L., co. Warwick, b.
10 Dec., 1814, ob. unmarried, 14 Feb., 1895.
- 23 - Augustus Peter, Comm., R.N., M.P. for N. Derbyshire,
1868-80, b. 2 Mar., 1821, ob. unmarried, 6 Oct., 1887.
- 24 - John Thomas, of Hatton House, co. Warwick, J.P. &
D.L., Sheriff, 1871, b. 2 Nov., 1823, m. 3 April 1856, Laura,
dau. of Rev. E. Willes, and had issue.
- 25 - Octavius, b. 20 July, 1822, ob. 9 April, 1823.
- 26 - John, b. 2 Nov., 1823
- 27 - Arthur, b. 2 Jan., 1827, ob. 30 June, 1827.
- 28 - Mary Anne, b. 26 Sept., 1807, m. Robert Strange, of
Naples, ob. s.p., 10 March, 1891.
- 29 - Susan Maria, b. 11 Feb., 1816, m. 12 Feb., 1839, Rt.
Rev. J. C. Wigram, Bishop of Rochester, ob. 27 June, 1864,
- 30 - Fanny Jane, b. 30 Aug., 1817, m. 21 Jan., 1873, Darwin
Galton, of Claverton Leys, co. Warwick, ob. s.p., 9 Nov.,
- 31 - Margaret Ellen, b. 8 Jan., 1819, m. 31 July, 1845,
James R. Wigram, ob. 5 Nov., 1883, leaving issue.
- 32 - Caroline Elizabeth, b. 7 March, 1825, m. 22 Jan., 1854,
John, second son of W. L. Clowes, of Broughton Hall, co. Lancaster,
and had issue
The death for Richard Arkwright (son of Sir Richard) has been
corrected. On the actual chart the date of death is given as 17
Apr 1848, but elsewhere in Bryan's book he records the date of
23 Apr 1843. This is confirmed in other sources.
 Baptisms for three
of Sir Richard Arkwright's children can be found in the registers
of the Bank Street Unitarian Protestant Dissenters Chapel, Bolton-le-Moors,
Lancashire. His son Richard (on chart) was baptised at Bolton on
12 Jan 1756, and daughters Susan (1) and Ellen (2) on 20 Dec 1761
and 26 Feb 1764 respectively.
Street Unitarian Chapel, Bolton-le-Moors. This is an external
site, so will open in a new window
 Richard Arkwright, a widower, married
Margaret Biggins at St Mary the Virgin, Leigh in Lancashire on
24 Mar 1761 by licence. The parish register as well as the bond
and allegation for the licence show that he was then a Barber of
Bolton Parish. Lady Margaret Arkwright died at Wirksworth on 25th
Dec 1811. Susanna Hurt, her 'only child', administered her estate
(Administration now at Lichfield, granted 22 June 1812). Her death
was reported in the Worcester Journal, 16 January 1812:
"In the 79th year of her age, Lady Arkwright, relict of Sir R.
Arkwright, of Cromford, Derbyshire".
 Robert Arkwright and Frances
C[rawford] Kemble were married at St. Andrew's Church, Newcastle
on 27 Jun 1805. Fanny Kemble's father was "Stephen George
Kemble, Esq, manager of the Newcastle theatre" (Lancaster
Gazette and General Advertiser, 6 Jul 1805). Frances died at
Sutton Scarsdale on 10 Mar 1849 ("The Derby Mercury",
14 Mar 1849).
 Some of the people shown above are
listed in Matlock Names in the London Gazette.
Augustus Peter (no 23 above) is mentioned in 1873,
1874, 1875, 1876, 1878, 1880, also 1886
and 1887 (this last his Will).
Frederic Charles (on chart) is mentioned in 1895 and 1897.
The last members of the Arkwright family to live at Willersley
were Frederic Charles and Rebecca Arkwright and their children
(on chart). Of their children, Frederick Charles Alleyne Arkwright
was to be killed in a flying accident during the First World War
and Kathleen Rebecca's husband, Captain Guy Bonham-Carter, was
killed by a sniper in 1915.
References to FGA Arkwright can
be found under Names
on Matlock's War Memorial and Names
on Starkholmes War Memorial, in the section about the
There is a reference to Guy
Bonham-Carter's war record, again in the section about the War
Frederic Charles Arkwright played
a major part in the war effort, and was a key figure in ensuring
Matlock and District's war dead were properly commemorated. Again,
see the section about the
War Memorials. Frederic Charles Arkwright died unexpectedly,
on 18 July 1923.
Cotton Mill has biographical details as well as discussing
his Masson mill
(1891) Directory of Cromford is worth reading
Cromford Directories mention Arkwright
of the Arkwright Coat of Arms
are named in various directories and census returns elsewhere
Wolley Manuscripts, Matlock
Find the Arkwright surname in Eighteenth
Century: Game Duty Lists | Nineteenth
Century - Game Duty Lists
mill briefly described in "Gem of the
description of Sir Richard Arkwright's funeral was published in
"The Gentleman's Magazine" in 1793 (scroll down
to Matlock pp.45-6).
Beauties of England and Wales" (1802),
written shortly after his death, which describes of cotton
manufacturing and has more on the
mills, Willersley Castle (plus
an engraving), Sir
Richard Arkwright and the
area surrounding Willersley.
of "The Derwent valley Mills and their Communities" as
Arkwright's Mills are part of a World Heritage site.
Church and Bridge - this is on the opposite side of the River
Derwent and is where several members of the Arkwright family are
View more about Willersley Castle by clicking
on the images below: