Frith Hill dominates this photograph, which
would have been taken from Charterhouse. The houses of Charterhouse
Road are at the bottom of the slope, with Peperharow Road
branching off (bottom right). Deanery Farm is just above
the word "Godalming" printed
on the card and the roof of the old farm building that now
houses S.S. Peter and Paul Scouts can be seen above the word "General".
There seem to be all kinds of junk, including timber, behind
the farm buildings.
As part of the 1877 application to the Board of Trade for powers
to construct waterworks and to supply water within the Godalming
a plot of ground attached to and on the north side of the
Old Deanery Farmyard was identified for "a well and pumping
station, with pumping engines, engine and boiler houses,
and other works, buildings, and conveniences".
The former No.1 pumping station was situated behind what the
Scout Hut (on the left of the enlargement) and has in recent
years been converted into a private dwelling.
In the middle distance beyond the hill and the railway embankment are
the Lammas Lands. Slightly further away is a church spire that must
belong to the former Congregational Church on the corner of
Bridge Street and The Burys. Just behind the church and to
the right is the distinctive curved row of houses in Victoria
Road and then the gasometers belonging to the former Gas Works
in Wharf Street. You have to look hard, but they are there.
There is a similar view: Godalming,
from Charterhouse, 1903