|Hindhead Road and Water Tower
In late 1877 a notice was placed in The
London Gazette stating that an application was to be made to the Board of Trade
by the Frith Hill, Godalming, and Farncombe Water Company
Limited for "authority to construct and maintain waterworks
and works connected therewith, and to supply water to Frith
Hill, Godalming, Farncombe, and other places" in the
parish of Godalming. It was to include "a service reservoir
and water tower ... on Frith Hill on a
plot of ground situate between the roads known
as Hindhead-road and Knoll-road at or near the
junction of those roads".
Hindhead Road is today known as Frith Hill Road.
The reservoir and water tower were opened by Lord Midleton
of Peperharow Park in 1880.
In 1900 Godalming Corporation "agreed to pay the Frith
Hill, Godalming, and Farncombe Water Company, Ltd., the sum
of £51,000 for its undertaking, and all expenses incurred
by the company in winding up its affairs".
This image shows the water tower around 1910; it is situated
on the brow of the hill, though the entrance to Knoll Road
looks smaller than it is today. The structure is now Grade
In 1988 the then disused water tower was purchased from Thames
Water. Elspeth Beard, an award
winning architect, hoped to turn it into a six
storey home. It took her six
years to complete and the outcome included two staircases
to meet fire regulations, custom made windows and a new roof.
"Hindhead Road and Water Tower, Godalming". Published by S.
G. Eaton, Stationer, Godalming. The Milton Post Card. Posted
20 Apr 1910 at Wormley. Sent to a Miss Alice Mitchell of Petersfield
who was about to visit.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.
London Gazette", 23 November
1877. Board of Trade.-Session 1878. It was placed by Hugh F.
Day Solicitor, Godalming and others.
 "Kelly's Directory of Surrey", 1891.
 "Surrey Mirror", 6 March
1900. The Act had been passed in the last session. Godalming
was described as "the smallest of our Surrey
 Further information may be found
British Listed Buildings web site.
 "The Times", 19 August,
1995 mentioned her using the original 1898 spiral staircase and
the same paper 15 July, 1998 provided a little more information
about planning, etc.