This early Edwardian postcard shows increasing development
along Peperharow Road and is worth comparing with a picture
taken less than a decade earlier that is also on this
web site. The
only vehicle on Peperharow Road is a hay cart on the bend close
to the bottom of Dean Road, the cul de sac on the right.
On the left hand side of the road are three new houses and
next to the hay cart are two strips bounded by close-boarded
fencing. The land either side of this fencing was to be built
on over the next few years (see the
next image) and it is possible that the fencing was in
preparation for that.
Dean Road had houses on both sides by this time and another
plot is fenced and appears to have work going on, but this
isn't totally clear. In the 1901 census,
the heads of household in Dean Road were Messrs. Heathorn,
Gale, Godwin, Jeffries and Burgess as well as Mrs. Brockelsby.
Two more properties were under construction at census time,
so there were fewer dwellings than appear
in this photograph. By 1911 some of the names on Dean Road
had changed and the household heads by then were Messrs. Hawkings,
Russell, Godwin, Kearvill, Cooke, Wheeler, Smith, Parsons,
Mayne and Burgess; two properties were uninhabited.
Charterhouse School is also clearly visible on the top of
the hill (top, right). Some of the houses further along Peperharrow
Road were built for the masters of the school; Aldous Huxley,
whose father was an Assistant Classics Master at the school,
was born in one of them.
Unfortunately for the viewer, no explanation is provided in
the card's message about the reason for the arrow.