Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Barlborough, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.39-40
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
BARLBOROUGH is an extensive village and parish, 8 miles north-east from Chesterfield, 11 south-east from Sheffield and 160 from London, 1½ miles north-west from Clown station and 3 east from Eckington station on the Midland railway, in the North Eastern division of the county, hundred of Scarsdale, Eckington petty sessional division, union and county court district of Worksop, rural deanery of Staveley, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. James is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle and an embattled western tower with 8 pinnacles and containing a clock and 5 bells, two of which are of early date, with inscriptions in coarse Gothic characters; the latest was cast in 1725: the nave is separated from the aisles by an arcade of 4 semi-circular Norman arches on three piers : the chancel arch is Early English, as are also probably, parts of the tower, the west front of which bears the arms of Goushill and Longford, but the battlements and pinnacles are Debased Perpendicular: in the chancel is a monument to Sir Richard Pipe, Lord Mayor of London, and patron of this church, ob. 19 Sept. 1587: the east window is a memorial to Miss Mary Alderson : there are 500 sittings. The register dates from the year 1648, for all entries ; these records are in good condition. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £485, gross yearly value £675, with 73 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late W. Hatfield de Rodes esq. and held since 1870 by the Rev. Martyn Stapylton M.A. of University College, Durham, and sometime fellow of that university. Here is a reading room with a small library. There is also a hospital, endowed in 1752 by Margaret and Mary Pole with an income of £37 10s. yearly, to which have been added Heathcote's charity of 16s. a year, and Webster's of £8 14s. a year; the hospital is for 6 widows, each of whom receives 4s. 6d. per week and four loads of coal annually. Gisborne's charity of £6 13s. yearly, left in 1818 by the Rev. Francis Gisborne, formerly rector of Staveley, is for flannel and woollen clothing : other small charities, amounting to about £11, are distributed in doles on St. Thomas's day and Good Friday. Barlborough Hall, an Elizabethan mansion, is occupied by the trustees of the late W. Hatfield de Rodes esq.. Reginald W. Chandos-Pole esq J.P. of Radburne Hall, and the trustees of the late W. Hatfield de Rodes esq. are lords of the manor and principal landowners. There are extensive collieries, lime kilns and brick and tile works. The soil is clay and limestone; subsoil, rock and clay. The crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans and turnips. The acreage is 3,305; rateable value, £10,307 ; the population in 1881 was 1,678.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.-
Mrs. S. H. Hibbards, postmistress. Letters received from Chesterfield at 7.20 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.40 p.m. & sundays 2.40 p.m

National School, erected 166, for 200 boys & girls; average attendance, 71 boys & 69 girls; William Hodgson, master; Miss Georgina Shires, mistress. Infants' to hold 90 ; average attendance, 88; Mrs. Emma Riley, mistress

Baker Miss
Bowden Miss, Beighton Fields priory
Butler-Bowdon Major Lancelot George J.P. Barlborough house
de Rodes William Hatfield (trustees of), Barlborough hall
Dixon Miss
Stapylton Rev. Martyn M.A. [Rectory]


Arthur Wm. farmer, Woodhouse lane
Appleby & Co. coal masters, Cottam colliery
Binks Sarah (Mrs.), De Rodes Arms P.H
Bracken Hannah (Mrs.), farmer
Burton Joseph, stone mason
Buxton Richard, butcher
Chamberlain Jas. Crown & Anchor P.H
Clark William, shoe maker
Clarkson John, butcher
Coupe John, farmer
Elliott George Edward, plumber
Garfitt John, farmer & miller (steam)
Gilbert William Frederick, grocer
Gosling Fredk. brick maker & farmer
Heald William, farmer
Heane William, farmer, Woodhouse la
Hibberd S.H. (Mrs.), sub Post-mistress
Hibberd Joseph, farmer
Hibberd Oliver, shopkeeper
Hopkinson John, Royal Oak P.H
Hopkinson John George, farmer
Kirkby Thomas G. Pebley inn
Lancaster William, farmer
Ludlam Edward, farmer
Mallinder Charles, butcher
Mallinder William, farmer
Marlow John, farmer
Megson John, farmer
Moorley John, farmer, Park hall
Mullins Felix, Apollo inn
Mullins William, wheelwright
Oxsprlng John Thomas, grocer
Plant John, blacksmith
Presley Peter, farmer
Roberts James, farmer
Russ William, Rose & Crown P.H
Sinclair Elizabeth (Mrs.), stationer
Smith George, shopkeeper
Staveley Coal & Iron Co. Barlboro' collry
Stephenson George, farmer
Swift John, Blacksmiths' Arms P.H
Talbot Joseph, beer retailer
Thompson Benjamin, grocer
Topham John Branson, farmer
White Thomas, Dusty Miller P.H
Widdowson Harriet (Mrs.), farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Barlborough and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills