Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Baslow, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp. 41-2
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
BASLOW ST. ANNE was formed into a parish 13 July, 1869, from the parish of Bakewell, and includes the hamlet of Bubnell : it is in the Western division of the county, hundred of High Peak, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Bakewell, rural deanery of Eyam, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell, 13 miles west from Chesterfield, 12 south-west from Sheffield, and 4 north-east from Bakewell, and is situated on the east bank of the river Derwent, over which is an ancient stone bridge of three arches, leading to Bakewell, the parish is bounded on the north-east and west by a range of lofty hills and by extensive moors, and the situation of the village and its fine adjacent scenery cause it to be much frequented in summer by the inhabitants of Sheffield and other towns : the parish is governed by a Local Board of six members, and is supplied with water from reservoirs on Heathy Lea and Coupelow Roughs, the property of the Duke of Rutland ; and there are gas works. The church of St. Anne, charmingly situated on the eastern bank of the river Derwent, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles with arcades of four arches, south porch, and a low tower at the north-west angle with octagonal broach spire and containing a clock and 6 bells, the 3rd and 5th mediæval, and the others dated respectively, 1839, 1745, 1620, 1754 : there are five stained windows, four being memorials : the oldest existing portion is the tower and spire, erected at the close of the 13th century : the nave may be attributed to the 14th century, and its west window is a good specimen of the Geometric period : the heavy battlements of the porch, nave and aisles are Early Perpendicular, and the nave has a flat Perpendicular roof : the rood loft, some stained glass, and a memorial to Robert Eyre, existing about 1730, have disappeared : in the north wall of the aisle is an iron plate in an oaken frame, with an inscription to Thomas Marple, 1742 : and there are some small mural brasses to the names of Oddy and Grundy (1753-1790) : the chancel has a mural monument to the Rev. John Barker M.A. for 30 years incumbent of Baslow (1824), and his eldest son, the Rev. Anthony Auriol Barker M.A. who succeeded his father, and held the living for the same length of time: also one to the Right Rev. Frederick Barker D.D. some time vicar of Baslow and Lord Bishop of Sydney and Metropolitan of Australia (1854-84), whose remains are interred in the churchyard : he was born at Baslow, March 17th, 1808, died at San Remo, April 6th, 1882 : built into the west wall of the porch is a coffin slab of the 13th century bearing a floriated cross : in the vestry is preserved the veritable whip of the last church "dog-whipper :" there are 350 sittings : the church was restored and enlarged in 1853, chiefly at the expense of the Duke of Devonshire : the churchyard, enlarged in 1876 by the inclosure of about a quarter of an acre, the site of the old school-room and some cottages then pulled down, is very picturesque, owing to a fine row of stately elms on the side adjoining the river, with old yews and trees here and there, and contains some ancient stone coffins, and a few curious slabs of stone : south of the churchyard remain the basement steps of an old cross, now supporting a modern pedestal and shaft, with a sundial. The register, now in a dilapidated condition, dates from 1569, and contains numerous irrelevant interpolations. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £11, gross yearly value £315, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire K.G. and held since 1859 by the Rev. Jeremiah Stockdale M.A. of St. Catharine's College, Cambridge, and rural dean of Eyam, and surrogate. Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The charities are of considerable yearly value. A large hydropathic establishment was erected in 1881 on an eminence on the east side of the village, near Yeld wood, the foundation stone of which was laid, July 21st, 1880, by Alderman Tozer, of Sheffield. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. who is lord of the manor, and the Duke of Rutland G.C.B. are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and sand, on strata of sandstone and grindstone. The acreage, with the hamlet of BUBNELL, is 5,485 ; rateable value, £4,081 ; the population in 1881 was 843.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. H. & Insurance & Annuity Office. -John Stroyan, receiver. Letters are received from Chesterfield at 6.30 a.m. A messenger arrives with letters from Bakewell at 10.30 a.m. ; dispatched to North West of England, Scotland, Ireland &c. at 5.20 p.m. & to London &c. at 9.15 p.m. Money orders paid & granted from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m

WALL BOX, Nether end, cleared 8 p.m LOCAL BOARD.
Offices, Schoolroom. Board day the last wednesday in each month.
Clerk, James Jackson, Stony Middleton, Sheffield
Treasurer, Alfred J. Adams, Bakewell
Medical Officer of Health, Philip S. Fentem M.D. Bakewell
Surveyor, Joseph Eades, Baslow
Inspector of Nuisances, John Clark, Baslow
Collector, Israel Handle, Baslow

PUBLIC OFFICERS :- Certifying Factory Surgeon, Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Baslow District, Bakewell Union, Edward Mason Wrench F.R.C.S. Eng
Collector of Poor's Rates, Thomas Marples
Church of England Schools (mixed), built with master's house, in 1876, for 150 boys, girls & infants, average attendance, 107 ; John Rhodes Matthewman. master; Miss Mary Hibbert, mistress

CONVEYANCE.-Robinson's omnibus from Eyam passes through to Sheffield, tues. & to Chesterfield on sat. returning same days

CARRIER TO SHEFFIELD.-Robert Hage passes through from Bakewell, tues. thurs. & sat. returning same days

Baslow St. Anne.
Bembridge James
Branson Ferguson
Brightmore Henry
Housley Miss
Mortimer Mrs
Ponsonby James
Sanderson John, Moorlands
Stockdale Rev. Jeremiah M.A. [vicar & rural dean of Eyam], Vicarage
Tasker John
Toomer Samuel
Unwin Herbert
Wainwright John, The Croft
Wrench Edward Mason

Baslow Hydropathic Co. Limited (J. B. Greenway, sec)
Clark John, painter & glazier & inspector of nuisances to local board
Coates Mary (Mrs.), druggist & grocer
Eades Joseph, Peacock hotel, & surveyor to local board
Elliott Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
Fearn George, farmer, Park gate
Fowler Charles, beer retlr. Alma hotel
Frith John, engineer to Chesterfield rural sanitary authority & to the Duke of Devonshire
Froggatt Hezekiah, farmer
Froggatt John, farmer, Gorse bank
Gardom Mary (Mrs.), farmer, The Yeld
Gas Works (Abraham Ellis, manager)
Goodlad Edwin, saddler
Hawley James, Prince of Wales P.H
Hearnshaw Thomas, farmer
Hearnshaw William, butcher
Hibberd Samuel, builder & wheelwright
Hodgkinson Edmund, miller (water)
Hodgkinson John, farmer
Holmes Charles, farmer
Marples James, blacksmith
Marples John, millwright & joiner
Marples John, jun. shopkeeper
Marples Robert, saw mill
Marples Thomas, tailor & shopkeeper & collector of poor's rates
Meot F. L. & J. (Misses), furnished apartments ; delightfully situated; fine views; Woodlands
National Telephone Co. Lim.; call office
Olliphant Chas.Robin Hood P.H.& farmr
Pinder Thomas, farmer, Eastmoor
Pride Charles, Royal hotel
Randle Israel, collector to local board
Rowland Robert, Wheatsheaf hotel, & grocer, baker & confectioner
Scott Charles, farmer Sheffield Telephone Exchange & Electric Light Go.; call office
Staley Stephen, carpenter & wheel wright & collector of water rates
Stroyan Alf. Goodwin, Rutland Arms family & commercial hotel & posting ho
Stroyan Jn. draper, tea dlr. &post office
Strutt Elizh. (Mrs.), refreshment house
Taylor Ellen (Mrs.),saddler & harness ma
Taylor Joseph, boot & shoe maker
Thornley Alfred Jonas, Devonshire Arms family & commercial hotel & posting ho
Tomlinson William, butcher
Towndrow Joseph, farmer, Clod hall
White George, farmer & shopkeeper
White John, farmer, Bubnell cliff
Wilson Thomas, shopkeeper
Wrench Edwd Mason F.R.C.S. Eng. surgeon & district medical officer & public vaccinator, Baslow district, Bakewell union, & certifying factory surgeon

White Mrs. Robert, Bubnell hall
Cain Anna (Miss), ladies' seminary
Hattersley William, farmer
Kitchen Emma (Mrs.), farmer, Brambley
Tomlinson Wm. Smith, farmer & butchr

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Baslow and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills