Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Chelmorton, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.80-81
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
CHELMORTON is a parish in the Western division of the county, High Peak hundred, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Bakewell, rural deanery of Buxton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell, 8 miles west from Bakewell and 5 south-east from Buxton. Illy Willy water rises on the hill called the Lowe, and passing through the village disappears in a swallow in the limestone and runs underground a long distance before it again appears. The church of St. John the Baptist is an ancient edifice of stone with traces of Saxon and Norman work, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south transept, porch and a western tower with octagonal spire, containing 4 bells, dated respectively 1621, 1681, 1621 and 1607 ; each bell has also an inscription now almost illegible: there are piscinae and sedilia and an ancient octagonal stone font and monuments to George Dale, of Flagg (1683), Roger Goodwin (1688), and to the families of Bullock, of Ashford (1800), Wieldon of Buxton (1810) and Swann of Hurdlow Hall (1740) ; there are Sittings for 300 : the church was restored and re-opened in 1874 at a cost of £2,000 : in the churchyard are the remains of an ancient stone cross. The register dates from 1590 and is in good condition. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £160, derived from 62 acres of glebe and grants from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and Queen Anne's bounty, with residence (built in 1843), in the gift of the vicar of Bakewell and held since 1870 by the Rev. Robert Phillips, of St. Bees. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here. The charities include £4 13s. distributed yearly, besides £6 10s. from the Gisborne charity, left by the Rev. Francis Gisborne formerly rector of Staveley, for clothing. Upon a hill called "The Lowe," above the village, are two barrows, one of which was opened in 1846, but only a few calcined bones were found. The manor is part of the Queen's manor of High Peak. The principal landowners are the trustees of Thomas Buxton, Mr. Michael Simpson, John Mellor esq. of Monyash, John Bagshaw, of Highlow Hall, the Rev. Edward Marsden M.A. vicar of Aston, and the Duke of Devonshire K.G. The soil is a brown loam; subsoil, limestone. The land is chiefly used for grazing purposes. The area is 1,952 acres ; rateable value £1,847 ; the population in 1881 was of the township 232 and parish 422.

Flagg is a township and manor, 2 miles south-east and 6 west from Bakewell, in Bakewell parish, union, petty sessional division and court district and High Peak hundred. Divine service is conducted by the vicar of Chelmorton once a fortnight in the National school-room. There are Primitive Methodist and Unitarian chapels. The charities amount to £5 16s. yearly. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Messrs. Herbert Finney, Joseph Needham and the Duke of Devonshire K.G. The soil is a brown loam; subsoil, limestone. The chief crops are hay and oats; a great portion of the land is used for grazing purposes. The area is 1,761 acres ; rateable value, £1,616; the population in 1881 was 190.

Sexton, Charles Gould. Letters through Buxton, received at 10 a.m. WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 3.30 p. m. on week days only. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Taddington

National, erected in 1882 for 100 children; average attendance, 27 ; Mrs. L. E. A. Phillips, mistress
National, Flagg, erected in 1836 for 40 children ; average attendance, 25. Miss Hannah Brightman, mistress


Philllips Rev. Robert, Vicarage

Bagshaw Wm. wheelwright & coach bldr
Boam Joseph, wheelwright
Dawson Peter, farmer & slater
Dawson William, shopkeeper
Dicken Geo. Duke of York P.H. & farmr
Goodwin Philip, farmer
Gyte George, farmer
Gyte Samuel, farmer
Hastings Daniel, farmer
Hallam John, farmer & landowner
Hawley John, farmer
Hodgkinson William, farmer
Hodgkinson Wm. farmer & landowner
Holmes Hannah (Mrs.), farmer, Knowl
Mortin Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Moseley Henry, farmer, Town end
Oliver Matthew, farmer
Percival George, farmer
Percival George Henry, farmer
Percival Hannah (Mrs.), farmer, Ditch
Percival John, farmer
Percival Louisa (Mrs.), frmr & landownr
Percival Thomas, farmer, Shallow
Percival Thomas, farmer
Robertson Joseph, farmer
Robinson Joseph, farmer
Robinson Joseph, farmer, Ditch
Robinson Richard, shopkeeper
Simpson Edward, farmer
Simpson Michael, farmer & landowner
Skidmore John, farmer, Green Dale
Smith William, blacksmith
Swindell William, farmer
Whitaker Richard, Church inn


Bunting Thomas, shopkeeper & farmer
Cantrill John, farmer
Dicken John, farmer
Dunn Francis, farmetr
Gould William, farmer, Flagg hall
Hodgkinson Matthew, farmer
Hodgkinson Thomas, grocer & painter
Mycock John, farmer
Mycock William, farmer
Naylor Samuel, farmer
Needham John, farmer
Needham Joseph, farmer & landowner
Needham Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Needham Richard, horse dealer
Needham Richard, jun. Plough P.H
Redfern John, farmer
Shemwell George, farmer
Wain Isaac, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Chelmorton and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills