Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
West Hallam, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.220
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
WEST HALLAM is a parish with a station on the Ilkeston and Derby branch of the Great Northern railway, 133 miles from London, 3 west from Ilkeston, 9 west from Nottingham and 7 north-east from Derby, in the Ilkeston division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Smalley petty sessional division, Shardlow union, Belper and Ilkeston county court, rural deanery of Ilkeston, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The Nutbrook branch of the Erewash canal passes the east side of the parish. The church of St. Wilfrid is a building of stone consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, north porch and a massive embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells, one of which is of mediæval date, the others dating from 1618 to 1876; of these three were given by the brother, sister and congregation of the Rev. C. J. Newdigate M.A. for 28 years rector of this parish, who died in 1876 : the fabric underwent a considerable and judicious restoration in 1855 : the nave is separated from the aisles by arcades of three arches on octagonal pillars, the north arcade approximating to the Early English and the south to the Decorated style: the north aisle, continued eastwards, forms a chapel, opening into the chancel by a Decorated arch; the tower seems to have been rebuilt by the Powtrells : the font is a massive octagon of the 14th century: the clerestory windows retain fragments of stained glass, probably figures of the apostles; and there are other relics of the same kind in the chancel, the north chancel window having once been a memorial to Robert Alyn, rector here in 1483 : the reredos was erected and a stained east window inserted by the late rector in memory of Francis Newdigate esq. d. 1862, to whom there is also a brass in the north aisle, placed by his tenantry : the organ, a memorial to the Rev. John Scargill, founder of the Free Grammar school, was opened 11 Oct.1864, being the 200th anniversary of the foundation of the school: there is also a small stained window to the same person: the whole of the remaining windows, except in the north aisle, are stained: the lofty chancel arch incloses a screen of wrought iron: on the south side of the chancel is a small piscina and on the opposite side a richly decorated altar tomb, dated 1598, under a canopy, with recumbent effigies of Walter Powtrell esq. and Cassandra, his wife: the chancel floor exhibits numerous memorial stones to the same family, from 1474 to 1669, and on the wall of the tower is an inscription to William Darbyshire, of Stanley (1674) : in the north chapel is a mural monument to Elizabeth wife of the Rev. Henry Greatorex (1697), and on the south side of the chancel an inscribed slab to the Rev. John Scargill, founder of the Free School (1662) : the church was restored in 1855, and has 260 sittings. The earliest register, a small parchment book, badly kept, dates from the year 1538. The living is a discharged rectory, average tithe rent-charge £194 yearly value £260, including 40 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Lieut.-Col. Francis William Newdigate J.P. and held since 1881 by the Rev. Nigel Madan M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, and rural dean of Ilkeston. In 1690, Madam Anne Powtrell left the sum of £50, the yearly interest thereof to be applied to the apprenticeship of one of the poorest scholars of West Hallam. The charities for distribution amount to about £24 yearly. West Hallam Hall, a modern brick mansion, situated on an eminence and commanding a very fine view of the surrounding neighbourhood, is the seat of Lieut.-Col. Francis William Newdigate J.P. lord of the manor and sole landowner: now in the occupation of His Honor Samuel Boteler Bristowe Q.C. judge of No.18 Circuit (Nottingham County Court). The soil is clay ; sub-soil, strong clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans and pasture. The area is 1,250 acres ; rateable value, £4,397 ; the population in 1881 was 590.

Parish Clerk, William Gadsby.

POST OFFICE.-Joseph Hobson, receiver. Letters through Derby arrive at 6.5 a.m. ; dispatched at 7.45 p.m. week days only. The nearest money order office is at Ilkeston ; the telegraph office is at the railway station

SCHOOLS:- Free Grammar (boys), the Rev. John Scargill, formerly rector of this parish, by his will dated January 10th, 1662, left funds for building & endowing a Grammar school for 66 boys, which was opened in 1664 : the school was rebuilt in 1832, & in 1852 the trustees also erected a school for girls: by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, dated 1876, the income, amounting to upwards of £300 annually, is applied to the maintenance of 78 scholarships for boys & girls of £2 each annual value, tenable at any public elementary school in the parishes of West Hallam, Dale Abbey, Stanley & Mapperley in which the instruction is in accordance with the doctrines of the Established Church, this sum being apportioned at the rate of three-sixths to this parish & one-sixth each to the other 3 parishes ; the amount being expended either in tuition, clothing or otherwise, at the option of the governors: exhibitions of the value of £90 each for three years at various High schools are also included in the scheme: the ex-officio governors are the lords of the manor, the rectors of West Hallam & Dale Abbey & the vicars of Stanley & Mapperley ; the representative governors consist of two persons appointed by the ratepayers of West Hallam & one each by the other three parishes: the present school will hold about 120 boys; average attendance, 70, inclusive of those holding scholarships; Alfred Pitt, master

Girls' & Infants', erected in 1852, for 105 children; average attendance, 73, Miss Jessie Harriet Berry, mistress

Railway Station, Henry William Hunt, station master

Bristowe His Honor Samuel Boteler Q.C., M.A. West Hallam hall
Madan Rev. Nigel M.A. Rectory
Pitt Alfred, Free Grammar school
Williamson Thomas, The Firs

Ashby Edwin A. farmer
Barber William, White Hart P.H. Common
Belfield William, farmer
Booth Henry, farmer
Daykin Herbert, wheelwright
Daykin Robert, dairyman, Common
Deaville Arthur, farmer
Derbyshire David, cowkeeper
Derbyshire James, joiner & farmer
Else John, farmer & butcher
Fletcher Robert, tailor & market gardener, Common
Flint Francis, cowkeeper
Free Grammar School (Alfred Pitt, head master)
Fretwell Job, Newdigate Arms P.H. & frmr
Hallam Harriet (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Hancock Thomas, farmer
Hart Samuel, cow keeper
Hartshorn Elijah, boot maker
Hollingsworth John, cowkeeper
Hollingsworth Nahum, stone mason, Common
Hunt John, blacksmith
Lee Henry, cowkeeper
Morris Lucy (Mrs.), farmer
Parkins Isaac, farmer
Shelton Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Straw Henry, joiner
Topliss William, shopkeeper
Watkinson Geo; The Old Punch Bowl P.H
West Hallam Colliery Company (Thomas Williamson, manager)
Wheatley Henry, farmer, Paddock farm

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about West Hallam and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills