Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Heath, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.230
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
HEATH, in Domesday called "Lune," and afterwards "Lowne," or "Lund," is a parish and small agricultural village, on the road from Chesterfield to Mansfield, 5 miles south-east from Chesterfield, and 3 north-east from Clay Cross station on the Midland railway, in the Chesterfield division of the county, Scarsdale hundred, Chesterfield union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Chesterfield, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. There will be a railway station in the parish on the branch of the M. S. and L. railway, now (1890) in course of construction. The old church of All Saints was situated about a quarter of a mile east of the present village of Heath, where, no doubt, was the ancient village of Lowne or Lund: subsequently, the heath being subjected to cultivation and houses rising upon it, the new village took the name it now bears: this church was pulled down, with the exception of the south porch, in 1852: the porch still stands in the churchyard in its original position, and from the material of the dismantled building a small mortuary chapel has been constructed, which bears on its eastern wall two churchwardens' names and the date 1622, and retains other carvings of shields and emblematic figures: the flooring of the part of the old church now remaining is chiefly composed of monumental stones, none, however, earlier than the 18th century: into the west wall has been built an oblong sepulchral slab of the 12th century, bearing incised representations of the human figure : over the entrance to the porch is a crucifix; the structure itself is chiefly Norman, and on its eastern side is a larger crucifix, cut in strong relief : the present church of All Saints, erected in 1853, is a building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel and nave and a western tower with spire, containing 5 bells, hung in 1883 at a cost of about £400 : there are four stained windows and 250 sittings, 80 being free. The register dates from the year 1682. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £184, net yearly value £174, including 4 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire K.G. and held since 1859 by the Rev. Henry Cottingham M.A. of Magdalene College, Cambridge, who is also vicar of Ault Hucknall and prebendary of Southwell. Gisborne's charity of £7 5s. yearly, left in 1818 by the Rev. Francis Gisborne, sometime rector of Staveley, is for clothing to be distributed by the vicar. In the neighbourhood are coal mines. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. who is lord of the manor, and Earl Manvers are the landowners. The soil is mixed, of a loamy and black heathy mixture ; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The acreage is 1,611; rateable value, £2,158; the population in 1881 was 356.

Parish Clerk, William Houldsworth.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. -Samuel Hardwick, receiver. Letters arrive from Chesterfield at 7 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.10 p.m

WALL LETTER BOXES.-Hardstoft, cleared at 3.50 p.m. ; & Shire lane at 6.10 p.m

School (mixed), erected in 1816 & enlarged in 1867 & 1879, for 150 children; average attendance, 76 ; chiefly supported by the Marquess of Hartington ; Miss Margaret Ann Rippon, mistress

Cottingham Rev. Henry M.A. [prebendary of Southwell], Vicarage
Denham Mrs
Ward John, West End house

Bacon John, farmer
Bennett William, tailor
Grant James, wood steward to the Marquess of Hartington M.P
Hardwick Charles, farmer
Hardwick Samuel, butcher, Post office
Hardwick William C. farmer
Houldsworth William, blacksmith
Jepson John, farmer
Joule John, farmer
Maylor Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Naylor John, farmer
Pattison John Henry, farmer
Pattison Mark, farmer
Roberts Robert, farmer, High house
Rome William, Elm Tree P.H
Rose Thomas S. shopkeeper
Sleney George, farmer
Shacklock Charlotte (Mrs.), farmer & shopkeeper
Smith Samuel, farmer
Toft George, wheelwright
Whetton William, farmer, Owl Cotes
White William P. grocer
Whitworth Charles, blacksmith
Widdowson William, mason
Wingerworth & Hardwick Colliery Co. (John Ward, managing partner)
Owl Cotes colliery

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Heath and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills