Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Kedleston, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.242-243
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
KEDLESTON is a parish, 130 miles from London and 5½ north-west from Derby railway station, in the Southern division of the county, Appletree hundred, Belper union, Derby petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Duffield, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of All Saints is a cruciform building of stone in the Early Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave and transepts, with a low embattled central tower containing one bell, dated 1830 : it was restored in 1884-5 by the present Lord Scarsdale, when the nave received a new oak roof in the Early English style, and a new west window; the nave and transept arches of the central tower were cleared of the plaster, and a new oak groined ceiling constructed : a very beautiful pavement of black and coloured Derbyshire marbles was also laid down: some of the old, high-backed oaken pews remain, and the pulpit, though new, is of old oak: the brass eagle lectern was presented by Nathaniel C. Curzon esq. of Lockington Hall, Leicestershire : in the north-east angle is an incised alabaster slab to William Curzon (1547) ; and in the Curzon chapel, or south transept, is a large mural monument to John Curzon, great-nephew of the preceding William, with half-length figures of himself and Millicent his wife, and a long inscription (1632-86) : on the floor of this transept are inscribed slabs to Sir Nathaniel Curzon bart. d. 4 March, 1718, and Sarah (Penn), his wife, d. 1727, with life-size figures of both; and against the west wall a marble monument with bust, to Sir John Curzon bart. J.P. for Derbyshire in the reigns of Queen Anne and George I. d. 6 Aug. 1727; against the east wall are tablets to the Right Hon. Nathaniel Curzon, 2nd Baron Scarsdale,. d. 27 Jan. 1837, and others : on the north side of the chancel is a marble monument with several life-size figures finely carved, to Sir Nathaniel Curzon bart. d. 1758, father of the 1st baron: Nathaniel, 3rd baron, d. 12 Nov. 1856, is buried in the churchyard near the chancel, and there are other memorials of this name, from 1739 to 1850, in the centre aisle and north transept: the church plate includes a chalice of silver-gilt (1601) and two patens (1527), given by Lady Sarah Curzon in 1715, together with a fine black-letter prayer-book (1687), a silver flagon (1765) and a silver bowl for the font were presented by Lord Scarsdale in 1883 and 1886 : during the restorations in 1884-5 a fine sepulchral slab was found beneath the floor on the south side of the nave, covering a skull and the remains of a skeleton : the stone, which is in a good state of preservation and ornamented with a cross in bas-relief, has been assigned by the Rev. J. Charles Cox LL.D., F.S.A. rector of Barton-le-Street, to the early part of the reign of Henry III. probably between 1225 and 1250: it is supposed to be the gravestone of Thomas de Curzon, 4th Lord of Kedleston, the exact date of whose death cannot be ascertained: there are 100 sittings, 50 being free. The register dates from the year 1600. The living is a discharged rectory, gross yearly value £155, including 11 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1856 by the Rev. Lord Scarsdale M.A. of Merton College, Oxford ; the Rev. George William Hill D.C.L., M.A. of King's College, Windsor, Canada, and chaplain to Lord Scarsdale, is curate. Kedleston Hall, the noble mansion of the Rev. Lord Scarsdale M.A., J.P. is a magnificent structure in the Classic style and is considered to be the masterpiece of Robert Adam the architect : it was erected in 1765 by the 1st Lord Sarsdale, great-grandfather of the present nobleman, in place of the old hall, the village being at the same time removed to its present site : it consists of a centre and two pavilions, connected with the main building by corridors ; the principal front, facing the north, and 365 feet in length, has a grand central portico of six columns, 30 feet high, approached by a double flight of stone steps and the pediment is surmounted by figures or Venus, Bacchus and Ceres ; beneath the portico is a ball, decorated with busts of the Caesars : the entrance hall, 67 by 42 feet, has a vaulted ceiling, supported by 20 Corinthian fluted columns of veined alabaster, each 25 feet high, brought from Lord Curzon's quarries at Red Hill, Nottinghamshire ; the saloon is also a very fine circular apartment, 63 feet high to the summit of the dome: the mansion contains a large and valuable collection of paintings, principally by the old masters, amongst which is the celebrated picture of "'Daniel interpreting Nebuchadnezzar's dream," and an "Old Man's Head," both by Rembrandt, besides a "Holy Family," by Leonardo da Vinci; there are also, among others, life-size portraits of the 1st and 2nd Lord and Lady Scarsdale, and one of Charles I. by Vandyke. The mansion is surrounded by a fine deer park of 600 acres, containing some very large and venerable oaks and many good plantations; the park is traversed for about 2 miles by a stream falling eventually into the Derwent, and crossed by a very fine old stone bridge ; there are seven waterfalls, for which the place is much noted, and here also are some medicinal springs, formerly much in repute, and approaching in their qualities those of Harrogate. Lord Scarsdale is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The land is principally in pasture, and noted for its dairy produce. The area is 937 acres of land and 22 of water ; rateable value, £1,897 ; the population of the parish in 1881 was 120.

Letters through Derby arrive at 8 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Quarndon.

WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 5.45 p.m

National School (mixed), erected in 1867 by the Hon. Sophia Curzon, for 50 children; average attendance, 24 ; Miss Ann Elizabeth Statham, mistress

Scarsdale The Rev. Lord M.A., J.P. Kedleston hall; & Carlton club S W
Curzon Hon. George Nathaniel M.P., D.L., J.P. Kedleston hall ; & 7 St. James' place S W & Carlton club S W, Bachelors' club W & White's club S W, London
Hill Rev. George William M.A., D.C.L. chaplain to Lord Scarsdale [curate), The Rectory

Astley John, park keeper
Goodwin George, farmer, Moodersley
Hunt Gervase, blacksmith
Kedleston Park Dairy Co. (John Stonehouse Williamson, manager)
Matthews Frederick, clerk of the works to Lord Scarsdale
Sims John, farmer, Prestwood

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Kedleston and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills