Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Langley Mill, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.246-247
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
LANGLEY MILL is a large village, with a station on the Erewash branch of the Midland railway, 9½ miles north-west from Nottingham and 126½ from London, partly in the parish of Heanor, a small portion being in the parish of Eastwood, Nottinghamshire, in the Ilkeston division of the county, Morleston and Litchurch hundred, Basford union, Smalley petty sessional division, Belper and Ilkeston county court district, rural deanery of Alfreton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. A small stream called "Baileybrook" runs between the village and Heanor into the Erewash. The village is supplied with water from works, the property of the Heanor Local Board, and lighted with gas by the Langley Mill and Heanor Gas Company. St. John's, a chapel of ease to Heanor church, is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of quasi-chancel, nave, north porch and an eastern turret containing one bell : there are 230 sittings: the Rev. Frederic William Heppenstall M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, has been curate in charge since 1889. There are Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Free Methodist and Wesleyan chapels. Owing to the establishment of several large works here and in the neighbourhood, this village has considerably increased within the last few years.

ALDERCAR is half a mile north, and MILNHAY a quarter south.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Notts added).-Charles Henson, postmaster. Letters arrive at 5.30 a.m. & 4.15 p.m.; dispatched at 9.5 a.m. & 4.40,7.40 & 9.15 p.m. ; parcels delivered at 7 a.m. & 4.30 p.m. & dispatched at 4.40 & 9.15 p.m

WALL LETTER Box, Aldecar lane, cleared at3.45 & 8.45 p.m

National, Heanor lane (boys), erected in 1872 & since enlarged, for 378 boys; average attendance, 297 ; Richard Wilkes, master
National, Aldercar lane (girls & infants), erected in 1875 for 200 girls & 130 infants ; average attendance, 89 girls & 108 infants; Miss Annie Woodhouse, mistress; Miss Catherine Blasdale, infants' mistress

County Police Station, Thomas W. Lumley, superintendent ; the force for the Smalley division consists of the superintendent, 2 inspectors, 3 sergeants & 32 constables

Railway Station, Edward Eagle, station master

Calvert William Henry, Ash Tree house
Clark John, Aldercar
Gregory Henry George
Heppenstall Rev. Frederic William B.A. [curate in charge of St. John, Aldercar]
Lovatt Albert, Clyde cottage
Lovatt John
Salthouse Joseph Graham, Dunstead
Smith Henry Hardwick, Milnhay house
Smith Mrs. Edstone house
Smith William, Dunstead house
Tomlinson Thomas, Elmshurst
Turner Geo. Reynolds, Dunstead lodge
Wilkes Richard

Argile Hannah (Mrs.), draper
Allsop William, boot maker
Bardill William, hardware dealer
Beardsley Thomas, cowkeeper, Milnhay
Beeton John, butcher
Bircumshaw James, shopkeeper
Boam John, Durham Ox P.H
Both Brothers, coal merchants
Bowes Robert Gething, butcher
Brough George, builder
Browne Sarah Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Buckley Thomas, boot maker
Calvert & Lovatt, stoneware manuftrs
Carrington Amos, grocer
Chambers Jas. pharmaceutical chemist
Chambers John, stationer
Chivers Theophilus, grocer
Clarke & Son, brick makers
Clarke Robert, Erewash hotel
Clayton William Edward, New inn
Clifton William, cowkeeper, Milnhay
Clower Wm. building material dealer
Colson Joe, greengrocer
Creswell Edwin, butcher
Eagle Edward, station master
Else Samuel, wheelwright
Fancourt Thomas, grocer
Foster William, blacksmith
Fox Mark, shopkeeper
Glazebrook Ann (Mrs.), Horse & Jockey P.H. Heanor lane
Gregory Henry George, farmer
Hall William, boot maker
Hartley Joseph, greengrocer
Henderson Thomas, beer retailer
Henson Charles, draper, & post office
Holbrook William, stone mason
Jarvis Wm. Christophr. smallware dlr
Langley Mill & Aldercar Co-operative Society Lim. (Jn. Carrington, mangr)
Langley Mill & Heanor Gas Light & Coke Co. Lim. (Jn. Andrews, mangr)
Lumley Thos. W. superintendnt of police
McClure John, travelling draper
Marrison Richard Jas. Midland hotel
Mason Hephzibah (Miss), day school, New street
Millington Fras. commercial traveler
Mycroft George, Sir Charles Napier P.H
Needham James, boot maker
Nutt Cornelius, pork butcher
Peel William, grocer
Piper Albert, baker
Pollard William, coffee rooms
Shaw Thomas, baker
Shelton William, watch maker
Simken James Ready, builder
Slack Samuel, grocer & druggist
Slater William, coal agent
Smith & Son, millers (steam), & corn mers
Smith Alfred, smallware dealer
Smith John, stationer
Steel & Iron Go. steel manufacturers (Charles E. Newill, managng. partnr)
Swan Frederick, shopkeeper
Thornley Richard, shopkeeper, Milnhay
Towson John, cowkeeper, Milnhay
Towson Samuel, joiner
Turner George Reynolds, carriage & wagon wheel manufacturer &c. Vulcan works
Tucker Augustus, printer & stationer
Ward Thomas, shopkeeper
Watson Lucy & Mary Ann (Misses), milliners
Webster Thomas, tailor & draper
Wesson Joseph, hair dresser
Wilmot Wm. stone mason, Heanor la
Wilson Isaac, shopkeeper
Wood Thomas, newsagent
Woolley John, shopkeeper

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Langley Mill and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills