Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Pleasley, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.285-286
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
PLEASLEY is a township, parish and pleasant village, including Pleasley Hill, in the parish of St. John, Mansfield, on the road from Mansfield to Chesterfield, with a station on the Teversall branch of the Midland railway, 3 miles north-west from Mansfield, 9 south-east from Chesterfield, in the Chesterfield division of the county, hundred of Scarsdale, Chesterfield petty sessional division, Mansfield union and county court district, rural deanery of Alfreton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Michael is a building of stone, in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells : the chancel arch is Norman, highly ornamented, and the tower Perpendicular : there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1553. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £650, and other emoluments about £150, gross yearly value £800, with residence and 3 acres of glebe, in the gift of Mrs. McCreagh Thornhill, and held since 1884 by the Rev. John Blomefield M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. Services are held on Sunday evenings in the new school at New Houghton. The United Free Methodists hold services on Sunday in the British schoolroom at Pleasley Vale. The Rev. Francis Gisborne, formerly rector of Staveley, in 1818 left £6 13s. to this parish, which is expended in clothing for the poor. Pleasley Vale, a romantic spot extending from a mile and a quarter to a mile and a half north-east of the village, is the site of the extensive cotton, silk and merino spinning mills of William Hollins and Co. Limited, giving employment to 400 or 500 hands : the river Meden or Mayden winds for a mile through the valley, and previous to reaching the first mill spreads itself into a wide sheet; both water and steam power are employed. On the north-east side of the lower mills are precipitous rocks, or ravines of limestone. A market formerly held here on Mondays has for many years been discontinued : the pedestal of the market cross still remains on the brow of the hill in the village. Two fairs are held for cattle, horses and sheep, on May 6th and October 29th. The mansion of Wm. Hollins esq. J.P. stands on a slight eminence commanding a view of the river and was considerably enlarged in 1861. The Right Hon. Sir Harry Verney bart. P.C. of Claydon, Bucks, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is limestone and clay; subsoil, rock and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, and barley. The acreage, comprising Shirebrook (which will be found under a separate head) and the hamlet of STONEY HOUGHTON, and the colliery villages of Upper Pleasley and New Houghton, is 3,293, of which 224 are woodland ; rateable value, £9,719; the population of the parish in 1881 was 1,152.
Parish Clerk, Henry Rogers.

POST & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Pleasley Hill, Notts.-Thomas Dutton, receiver. Letters are received through Mansfield at 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 5 & 7.30 p.m. ; saturdays, 5 p.m. only. The telegraph office is at the railway station

WALL LETTER Box, Stoney Houghton, cleared at 4.25 p.m. week days only

Church of England (mixed& infants'), erected in 1875, for 120 boys & girls &; 100 infants; average attendance, 130 ; infants, 100 ; Charles Leigh, master
New Houghton, erected 1884, for 100 children; average attendance, 5O; Miss Millin, mistress
Sunday School is held in all the schools
British, Pleasley Vale, erected by Messrs. W. Hollins & Co. Limited, for 200 children; average attendance, 100 ; Miss Mary Lucy Flint, mistress

Railway Station. William Henry Pugh, station master

CARRIER.-John Cooper, to Black Horse, Mansfield, thurs. & sat

Blomefield Rev. John M.A Rectory
Hollins William J.P. Pleasley vale
Munro James Mitchell M.B

Booth John, farmer, Stoney Houghton
Cooper John. omnibus proprietor
Crooks Samuel, farmer
Dean Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Dodsley Robt. farmer, Stoney Houghtn
Downs Samuel, farmer, The Lodge
Featherstone Samuel, blacksmith
Heath Thomas, farmer, Stoney Houghtn
Hollins William & Co. (Nottm.), Lim. cotton silk & merino spinners (Claude Hollins esq. sec. ; H. E. Hollins esq. managing director ; Herbert Porter esq. assistant manager ; David Brooks, cashier; Thomas Snaith, engineer), Pleasley works
Holmes John Machin, farmer
Hopkinson Joseph, farmer
Humphrey William, farmer & butcher
Kirk Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Lawrence Benj. farmer, Stoney Houghtn
Munro James Mitchell M.B., C.M. surgn
Pleasley Colliery (Stanton Iron Co. proprietors; J. C. B. Hendy, certificated manager)
Pleasley Co-operative Society (James Edward Wilkinson, manager)
Renshaw Benjamin, farmer, Batley
Sandy Wm. farm bailiff to J.Paget esq. J.P
Smith Frederick, Nag's Head P.H
Tatham Joseph, farmer, The Park
Wass James. farmer, Stoney Houghton
Wass John, Devonshire Arms P.H. Stoney Houghton

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Pleasley and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills