"The parish of Wirksworth contains, ... the hamlets of Caulow,
Biggin, Halton, Hitheridge-Hay and Ashley-Hay, consisting
altogether of about 80 houses".
In the Deanery of Ashbourne.
See Hault Hucknall
"in Domesday called Hortedune, is a large parish, extending
nearly twelve miles, along the western boundary of Derbyshire, and
comprehending all that tract of land which lies between the manors
of Buxton and Thorpe. It is divided into the Hartington town quarter,
the Lower quarter, the Middle quarter and the Upper quarter, altogether
containing about three hundred and forty houses. The village itself
contains about 370 inhabitants; the living is a vicarage; the church
is dedicated to St. Giles ; it formerly belonged to Domus Minoress in
London; but the Duke of Devonshire is the present patron.
This Manor gives the title of Marquis to his grace the Duke of Devonshire,
who is possessed of a large estate in land here, and indeed of almost
all the surrounding country. In the village of Hartington, the entrance
of which has some interesting rocky scenery, there was, in former
times, a castle; and some remains of ancient works may be discovered
in several places in the vicinity. The manor formerly belonged to
the Ferrers family, and afterwards to the Duchy of Lancaster. In
Charles the First's time,
it became the property of Villiers, Duke of Buckingham; but in the
reign of king Charles the Second, it belonged to the Cavendishes,
Earls and Dukes of Devonshire.
There are several traditions handed down, respecting battles in which
have been fought this neighbourhood. It is said, that the Britons
had a most bloody and obstinate conflict, with the Roman General
Agricola, on Hartington common; and that when it was finished, the
blood ran down the hill into the town. It is also reported, that
the Republicans and Royalists during the Civil Wars, had a severe
engagement on a hill near the village. The former tale is not supported
by any according circumstances; but the latter has been corroborated,
by the finding many musket balls, which had been washed down with
the soil, from the high grounds, after heavy rains.
"About a mile and a half to the south-east of Hartington,
is a high eminence, called Wolf's Cote-Hill, on the summit
of which is a Barrow or Low. This ancient remain, is a large
heap of stones of various sizes. The smallest are the most outward,
and, over them is a thin covering of moss and grass. It rises about
three yards above the common surface of the ground around, it, and
is exactly circular, The circumference at the base, is nearly seventy
yards: at the top, the diameter is about ten yards; and in the middle
is a cavity one yard deep, and three wide. This Low has been opened
a small way towards the centre; and in its inward construction appears
greatly to resemble that, which will be described, at Chelmorton,
In the Lower quarter division of Hartington, at a place called Castle-Hills,
situated on the banks of the Dove, is a sharp ridge of rocks, supposed
to have been reared by human labor, and rising to the height of
six or eight yards in the shape of a sugar-loaf. Adjoining to this,
there are some embankments, and several Lows of different shapes.
Near a place called Crowdicote, are the foundations of a
building, erroneously supposed to have been an Abbey. The ground
about it has been searched for treasure, but none could be found.
In the Middle quarter of Hartington, there is a chapel, called EastSterndale.
About three miles to the East of Hartington is, Newhaven,
where the Duke of Devonshire has erected a large, handsome and commodious
inn where travellers may meet with excellent accommodation. The
country around this place is very bleak, and was, formerly, an open
and barren waste; but a bill of inclosure having been obtained some
years ago, it begins to assume a less wild appearance, and several
hundred acres are now in cultivation.
Many extensive and thriving plantations, which have been made, near
the inn, will in a few years occasion a change in the appearance
of this tract, and may cause similar improvements to be effected
in the neighbourhood. There is an annual fair
held here for the sale of horses, cattle, sheep &c. which is
generally attended by a great concourse of people. The spot of ground
where the booths are erected, and pothouses established for the entertainment
of the company, is so broken and diversified, as to have the appearance
of the site of an ancient encampment. At a little distance from this
place, is a lead-mine, now not worked, wherein rich specimens of
wheat-stone, or white ore of lead, have been frequently obtained.
About three miles to the West of Newhaven-house, the Dove rolls along:
and though the scenery here is not quite so romantic as that of Dove-Dale,
it yet partakes of a great deal of its character. The rocks are not
so elevated, but the singular and rude forms into which they are
broken, have a very striking effect; and the frequent changes in
their appearance, are particularly interesting. One rock distinguished
by the name of the Pike, from its spiral form, and situation
in the midst of the stream, has been noticed in the second part of
the Complete Angler, by Charles Cotton, who resided at Beresford-Hall,
an ancient, but extremely pleasant mansion on the Staffordshire side
of the river. The Hall, now looks old and ruinous; and the adjoining
gardens and grounds exhibit a scene of neglect and desolation; but
in Mr. Cotton's time they were kept in excellent order.
Below the house, the stream (famous for trout fishing) flows in a
rapid current betwixt the craggs of steeps which form its boundaries,
for some distance; when it looses itself under ground, "and
after a mile's concealment appear's again with more glory and beauty
than before; running through the most pleasant vallies, and fruitful
meadows that this nation can justly boast of.
Hither it was that the venerable Isaac Walton, the father
of anglers, came from London, that during the summer months, he might
with his friend Cotton, enjoy the sport of angling. In return for
these friendly visits, Mr. Cotton built a small fishing-house, on
a kind of peninsula on the banks of the Dove, the, remains of which
are still visible. It was erected in the year 1674, and having been
taken little care of for several years past, it has fallen into decay.
Here, are, however, to be seen the cypher over the door, containing
the initials of the names both of Cotton and Walton, interwoven in
each other, and the inscription above it, SACRUM PISCATORIBUS (sacred
to fishermen) half filled with moss, and almost obliterated.
It was in this little deserted temple of friendship, that the pleasing
dialogue found in the Complete Angler, respecting the formation
of an artificial fly, took place.
In one of the rocks which hang over the river, is a small cavity,
only to be approached by an intricate and hazardous path, in which
Mr. Cotton is said to have eluded the pursuits of the officers of
the justice, after some offence of which he had been guilty. The
depth of it is about fifteen yards; but even in this small space
are several windings, which render it difficult to access, and well
adapted for the purposes of concealment".
In the Deanery of Ashbourne.
"Heortshorne at the time of the Norman Survey, belonged
to Henry de Ferrers. The living
is a rectory: its value in the king's book is £3. 12s. 1d.
and yearly tenths, 6s. 2 ½d. and the church is dedicated
to St Peter".
In the Deanery of Repington.
Part of the parish of Chesterfield. See Chesterfield.
A hamlet in the parish of Bakewell. "The hamlet of Hassop
formerly belonged to the Foljambs and from them descended
the Plomtons, of Plompton in Yorkshire, whose coheirs sold
part of the estate in the reign of Edward the Sixth, and the remainder
in the time of Queen Elizabeth, to the family of Eyre. It
is at present the seat of Francis Eyre Esq. who is descended from
this ancient and respectable family, a branch of which resided at
Hassop as early as the reign of Henry the Seventh. The present possessor
has a very large collection of exotic plants in his green-houses;
and has continued the plantations carried on by his father".
In the Archdeaconry of Derby.
"Hereseige, a small village situated at the foot of
a very lofty and extensive hill, contains about 100 houses. In the
direction of the streets there is no regularity, but the houses are
scattered over an extensive piece of ground. The church stands on
an eminence at the north end of the village: it is a neat, clean,
light building, with a spire and six bells. In the chancel of the
church are several monuments of an ancient date, belonging to the
family of the Eyres who came from Highlow in
the parish of Hope. Lying against the north wall is a tomb-stone,
with brass figures of a man and a woman, and several children, indented
in the stone; and also brass tablet bearing the following Latin inscription,
in Old English characters :-Hic, jacet Robertus Eyre, armiger: qui
obiit xxi. hic Mensis Maye, anno Millimmo CCCCLIX: et Joahne uxor
ejus, qui obiit ix die mensis Maye Millimmo CCCCLXIV. There is
another brass tablet to the memory of Radalphus Eyre of Offerton
in the county of Derby, Esq. and Elizabeth his wife who died in the
year 1493. The living is a vicarage, and the church is dedicated
to St. Michael, and the Duke of Devonshire is the patron.
It is handed down by tradition that Little John, the companion
and coadjutor of Robin Hood lies buried in this churchyard. His
grave is shewn to the traveller. Two grey stones, one at the foot
and the other at the head, mark the spot, where this hero lies.
The distance from one stone to another, is, nearly, four yards -
a space, whatever might have been Little John's ambition while alive,
it is unreasonable to suppose he could occupy when dead: however
the person that was buried in the spot, whether Little John or not,
was a man of great stature, as the grave was opened some years ago,
and a thigh bone found, which measured two feet and a half.
In the church-yard, there is also, the remains of a stone cross,
around which it was customary in Popish times, (and it has been done
in the memory of some of the present inhabitants) to take the corpse
of the deceased before its interment, in order to its more speedy
release from Purgatory. There are several Roman Catholics in this
village and neighbourhood, who assemble at a very neat chapel at
the western extremity of the village. This place of worship was erected
about 150 years ago, but since that time it has often been the object
of popular fury, and the inside destroyed by overheated zeal of Protestant
bigots. The congregation consists of about 70 individuals and a priest,
who lives in a large and handsome house adjoining the chapel. - The
eastern gable-end of the chapel, is ornamented with a cross of blackish
stone, worked in among, and projecting above, the free-stones which
compose the building, and which may be seen at a great distance.
"The earth here seems to possess some very peculiar properties,
as will appear from the following extraordinary relation, chiefly
extracted from a letter written by a Clerk of Hathersage, but corroborated
by enquiries made among other persons who were acquainted with the
" On opening a grave in Hathersage church-yard for the interment
of a female, on the 31st. of May, 1781, the body of Mr. Benjamin
Ashton, who was buried on the 29th. of December 1725, was taken
up, congealed and hard as flint. His breast, belly, and face, and
all the parts that lay under, were nearly the same colour as when
put into the coffin. The coffin was of oak boards, inch and a half
thick, and as sound as when first deposited in the grave which was
so extremely wet, that men employed to lade out the water, that
the coffin might be kept from floating, till the body was returned
to it. The face was partly decayed; conveying the idea, that the
putrifactive process had commenced previously to that which had
hardened the flesh into stone. The head was broke off in removing
the body from the coffin, but was placed in its first position when
again interred. Mr. Ashton was a corpulent man, and died in the
forty-second year of his age.
"Above the church, at a place called Camp
Green, is a circular
area, 144 feet in diameter, encompassed with a high and pretty large
mound of earth, round which is a deep ditch. A road has been carried
across the area from west to east; and an outlet and path have also
been formed on the south side. In the eighth volume of the Archæologia,
is an account by Mr. Hayman Rooke, of some ancient remains on Hathersage
Moor particularly of a Rockingstone, twenty-nine feet in
circumference; and near it, a large stone, with a rock-basin, and
many tumuli, in which urns, beads,and rings, have been found. At
a little distance he mentions observing another remarkable stone,
thirteen feet six inches, in length, which appeared to have been
placed by art on the brow of a precipice, and supported by two small
stones. On the top is a large rock-basin, four feet three inches
in diameter; and close to this, on the south, side, a hollow, cut
like a chair, with a step to rest the feet upon. This, in the traditions
of the country, is called Cair's chair. Not far from this spot are
also some rocking-stones; and of such a kind, as seems plainly to
indicate, that the first idea of forming Rocking-stones at all,
was the appearance of certain stupendous masses, left by natural
causes in such a singular situation, to be prepared, as it were,
by the hand of nature to exhibit such a curious kind or equipoise"."
In the Archdeaconry of Derby.
(Hattune) Hamlet in the parish of Marston-on-Dove (Deanery
of Castillar), together with Hilton (Hiltune) and Horne.
"this parish includes the hamlets of Rowthorn (Rugetorn),
(Steinesbi), Astwood, Arstaff and Hardwick; containing altogether
about one hundred houses.
The living is a vicarage, and in former times
belonged to the priory of Newstead, in Nottinghamshire; the Duke
of Devonshire is the patron.
In the chancel of this church, among which there is a slab, with
a Latin inscription, in memory of the celebrated Thomas Hobbes. This
gentleman, whom the bigotry and ignorance of his age set down as
an atheist, and another Machavel, was born at Malmsbury in the year
1588, and educated at Magdalen-Hall, Oxford. In 1608 he became tutor
to a son of the Duke of Devonshire; and in 1643, was appointed mathematical
tutor to the Prince of Wales. He returned, however, to the Devonshire
family, under whose patron age he lived till the year 1679, when
he died at Hardwick, in the ninety-first year of his age. He was
well known at home and abroad by his reputation for learning. The
most famous of his works are, 1. his book De Cive; 2. that
on Human Nature; 3. one De Corpore Politico; 4. his well known
work called the Leviathan ; 5. his translation
of Thucydides, &c
HARDWICK-HALL, a celebrated seat belonging to the Duke of Devonshire,
is situated in the parish of Hucknall. This stately mansion is situated
on a ridge of elevated ground, near the eastern borders of the county.
It stands in a fine and extensive park, well wooded; and between
the trees, the towers of the edifice emerge with great majesty, their
summits appearing covered with the lightly shivering fragments of
battlements: these, however, are soon discovered to be carved open-work,
in which the letters E. S. frequently occur under a coronet; the
initials and memorials of the vanity of Elizabeth, Countess of Shrewsbury,
by whom this edifice was built. The house is of stone, and has a
lofty tower at each corner: in the front is a spacious quadrangular
court, surrounded by a high stone wall. This building, which affords
a specimen of English architecture in the 16th century, was built
by the Countess of Shrewsbury, daughter of John Hardwick, Esq. who
died in the nineteenth of Henry VIII. she had been twice married
before she became the wife of the Earl of Shrewsbury - first to Robert
Barley, Esq. and, secondly to Sir William Cavendish. This house was
erected after she became Countess of Shrewsbury.
Hardwick-Hall, it is generally supposed, was one of the prisons of
Mary Queen of Scots; and it has been thought, that it was, originally
fitted up for her reception, and with a view to a visit, which though
long talked of, it is very probable Elizabeth never seriously intended
paying her. Several of the apartments derive great interest from
the furniture, and other articles preserved in remembrance of that
[There follows a description of the interior, which is not included
At the distance of a few yards from the present Hall, are the dilapidated
remains of the more ancient seat of the Hardwick family. A few apartments,
though approached with great difficulty through the fragments of
others, yet almost intire :-one of them, fancifully called the Giant's
Chamber, has been remarked for the beauty of its proportions; and
is said, by Kennet, in his Memoirs of the family
of Cavendish, to
have been "thought fit for a pattern of measure and contrivance
of a room at Blenheim." At what time this ancient mansion was
built, is uncertain, but it is known to been the residence of the
Hardwicks in the time of Henry the Eighth: for John Hardwick died
here in the nineteenth year of his reign. In this house Cardinal
Wolsey lodged one night in his way from York to Leicester Abbey,
where he died November, 1536".
In the Deanery of Chesterfield.
"Hetfelt is a long, straggling village in the parish
of Glossop ; it is situated on the road to Chapel-in-the-Frith and
Glossop and is divided into two parts by a fine stream of water.
The inhabitants are chiefly clothiers, but several are supported
by the manufacture of cotton".
In the Archdeaconry of Derby.
"is a small straggling village, containing, together with the
whole liberty, about two hundred houses. The clear value of the established
chapel there is £10.
In this liberty, near the road leading from Crich to Belper, and
about midway frOm both places, is a martial vitriolic spring, the
only one of the kind that has yet been found in the county. It is
situated in a black boggy soil and was discovered about the year
1767, "by a labouring man, who was employed in forming a sough
with a view of draining the ground in its neighbourhood. He had been
a long time troubled with an ulcerous disorder in one of his legs,
but found, during the prosecution of his undertaking, it gradually
disappeared, and that by the time it was finished, a cure was entirely
effected., This circumstance led him to suspect, that the water was
possessed of some medicinal virtues, and upon examination, he perceived
the vitriolic taste, by which it is distinguished."
This water affords very strong and decisive evidence of its being
impregnated with iron and vitriol. Its taste is sour, and is thought
to contain fixed air in some quantity; not only from the bubbles
which may be seen in it, when first poured into a glass at the spring,
but likewise from the circumstance, that when tightly enclosed in
a cask or bottle, it will burst it with a slight degree of agitation
; an effect attributed to the efforts of the fixed air to escape.
Besides the efficacy of Heage water in ulcerous complaints, it has
sometimes also been found beneficial in stopping inward bleeding;
and when applied outwardly, it is said to have this effect as soon,
and as completely, as the Extract of Saturn. It has also been found
efficacious in fastening the teeth, and in healing sore and inflamed
eyes. But its salutary influence is most conspicuous in certain ulcerous
disorders: and yet in these external applications, it should be used
with great caution, as sometimes a paralytic stroke in the diseased
part, has followed, the too sudden drying up of the humour".
In the Deanery of Derby.
"This parish contains the hamlets of Codnor, Loscoe, Langley,
and Shipley. When Domesday was compiled there was a church
at Hainoure : it appears, from the history of the foundation
of Dale-Abbey, that there was a chapel as well as a church there,
in the reign of Henry II, belonging to the
parish of St. Mary in the town of Derby. In the thirteenth year of
Edward IV. the church was appropriated to the Abbey at Dale. The
living is a vicarage; and the King is the patron.
Codnor, in Domesday Cotenovre, is a small hamlet,
remarkable for the ruins of a Castle. In the early part of the thirteenth
century there was a Castle here ; and in the reign of Henry the Third,
it was the chief seat of Richard de Grey, whose descendants, the
Barons Grey of Codnor, possessed it till the eleventh of Henry the
Seventh  , when it passed to Sir John Zouch,
(the youngest son of William Lord Zouch of Harringworth), who had
married the aunt of the last possessor of this family. John Zouch,
Esq. the last of the family who resided at Codnor, sold his land
and coal in the neighbourhood about the year 1622, and leaving the
kingdom, settled in Ireland. It afterwards became the property of
the Masters, one of whom it is said, inhabited the Castle
in the year 1712: but even then it was in a ruinous state, and since
that period, it has almost entirely fallen into ruins.
Codnor Castle was situated on elevated ground commanding an extensive
prospect to the East. The wall on the East side is yet standing to
a considerable height; and in the inside are several recesses, formed
in a singular manner. These remains indicate its having been a place
of considerable extent. To the South, there appears to have been
an extensive square court from which were two entrances, or gates,
into the Castle. The wall on the West side of the court, which is
yet entire, has two large recesses in it, supposed to have been used
as watch-houses. On the eastern side was a broad deep ditch or moat:
and on the bank grew a double row of trees, which were cut down about
the year 1738. The park belonging to the Castle was very extensive;
comprehending about two thousand and two hundred acres of land.
Shipley was formerly the seat of the Vavasours and
afterwards the Strelleys, one of whom was married to the
heiress of Vavasour. In the time of Charles the Second, Shipley was
the property of Sir Edward Leche, Knt. Master in Chancery whose heiress
married one Miller : and the heiress of Miller married Edward Mundy,
Esq. (a younger branch of the Mundys of Markeaton) whose only son,
Edward Miller Mundy, Esq. is the present possessor; and has represented
the county of Derby in several Parliaments".
In the Deanery of Derby.
"the whole parish contains about sixty-four houses. The living
is a vicarage; and the church is dedicated to All-Saints; it formerly
belonged to Croxton Abbey. The
Manor of Heath was presented by Robert Ferrers, Earl of Derby, to
the monastery of Grendon, Leicestershire but it now belongs, together
with the patronage of the church, to the Duke of Devonshire. It is
supposed that it came into the possession of the present proprietor,
when in the sixth year of Edward the Sixth, Mr. Cavendish had, in
exchange for his estates in Hertfordshire, several lands and manors
belonging to dissolved priories and abbeys in Derbyshire".
In the Deanery of Chesterfield.
"is a hamlet, which belongs to the parish of Sudbury and
; contains about 20 house'.
It is in Deanery of Castillar.
A hamlet in the parish of Dronfield and Deanery of Chesterfield. See
"in Domesday, Ochnauestun, is a village of about
55 houses, whose inhabitants are chiefly supported by agriculture.
The living is a rectory; but not in charge;the King is the patron".
In the Deanery of Ashbourne.
"by the Norman surveyors written Holebroc, is situated
on an eminence, at the distance of about a mile to the East of the
last-mentioned place [Makeney]. Some years ago, a chapel was built
here, and endowed by the late Mr. Bradshaw".
In the Deanery of Derby.
(Holintune) A hamlet in the parish of Longford. In Deanery
Lea and Holloway - Kelly's 1891 Directory
Chapelry in the parish of Dronfield.
In the Deanery of Chesterfield.
"is a small village, on the road between Hathersage and Castleton,
situated on the banks of the Derwent, which is here but an inconsiderable
stream. Hope is mentioned in Domesday-book as having a priest and
a church in the time of Edward the Confessor. The living is a vicarage,
the church is dedicated to St. Peter, and the Dean and Chapter
of Lichfield are the patrons.
It has been asserted, that William Peverel had, a mansion at Burgh
in this parish, and that in the reign of Edward the First, John,
Earl of Warren and Surry, was made governor of it. In some manuscript
papers of the late Mr. John Mander, of Bakewell, Hope has been described
as an ancient market-town; but the advantage of this privilege it
no longer enjoys.
The moors of
Hope parish afford an extraordinary instance of the preservation
of human bodies interred in them. One Barber, a grazier, and his
maid servant, going to Ireland in the year 1674, were lost in the
snow, and remained covered with it it from January to May, when they
were so offensive, that the Coroner ordered them to be buried on
the spot. About twenty-nine years afterwards, some countrymen, probably
having observed the extraordinary properties of this soil in preserving
dead bodies, had the curiosity to open the ground and found them
in no way altered; the colour of the skin being fair and natural,
and their flesh as soft as that of persons newly dead. They were
exposed for a sight, during the course of twenty years following,
though they were much changed in that time by being so often uncovered.
In 1716, Mr. Henry Brown, M. B. of Chesterfield, saw the man perfect,
beard strong, and about a quarter of an inch long: the hair of his
head short ; his skin hard, and of a tanned leather colour, pretty
much the same as the liquor and earth they lay in: he had on a broad
cloth coat, of which the doctor in vain tried to tear off a skirt.
The woman was more decayed, having been taken out of the ground,
and rudely handled, her flesh particularly decayed, her hair long
and spongy, like that of a living person. Mr. Barber of Rotherham,
the man's grandson, had both bodies buried in Hope church, and, upon
looking into the graves sometime afterwards, it was found, they were
entirely consumed. Mr. Wermald, the minister of Hope, was present
at their removal: he observed that they lay about a yard deep, in
moist soil, or moss, but no water stood in the place. He saw their
stockings drawn off, and the man's legs, which had not been uncovered
before, were quite fair: the flesh, when pressed by his finger, pitted
a little; and the joints played freely, and without the least stiffness:
the other parts were much decayed. What was left of their clothes
not cut off for curiosity, was firm and-good : and the woman had
a piece of new serge; which seemed never the worse"."
In the Archdeaconry of Derby.
A hamlet in the parish of Sawley (there is more information under
In the Deanery of Derby.
"in Domesday Opetune is another small hamlet in the parish
of Wirksworth consisting but of a small number of houses. This hamlet
is planted in the bottom of a deep valley, embowered in wood, and
guarded by lofty rocks under whose projecting heads the cottagers
have built their crouching dwellings.
Here is the seat of Philip Gell, Esq, the present Member in Parliament
for Malmesbury. The family of Gell, has been resident here since
the time of Queen Elizabeth. In the seventh year of her reign, died
R. Gell, Esq. who was succeeded by his son Anthony. John Gell, who
was Sheriff of Derbyshire in the year 1634, and in, 1643 created
a Baronet by Charles the First, was a very active partizan, in the
cause of Parliament, during the civil war, and performed several
spirited actions in its service. When the royal standard was erected
at Nottingham, he marched into the town of Derby, and placed a garrison
in it. The year following, he took Wingfield Manor by assault, and
was attended with such success, that at length, no part of the county
of Derby, had the courage to declare in favor of the king. It appears,
however, that his conduct was not always satisfactory; for having
been appointed receiver of the money, arising from the sequestration
of the effects of those persons, who were suspected of being friendly
to the king, an order was issued, to enforce the payment of six thousand
pounds. He was tried in 1650, for misprison of high treason, and
sentenced to forfeit his estate, and to be imprisoned for life ;
but within two years he received a pardon.
The ancient Manor-House, occupied in former times, by the Gells,
was, a few years ago, pulled down, and a neat modern building erected
on its site. The grounds also have been very much improved; and a
new road, distinguished by the name Via Gellia from its maker, has
been carried towards Matlock through a romantic valley, which affords
several beautiful views. High and steep hills, covered with young
firs, like a nursery, and, sweeping in bold bases, guard it on all
sides, Down the hills, numerous narrow falls devolve, and at their
feet, all the way along the road side, frequently gray seats appear,
covered with turf. The little river in the valley, is formed by art,
for the purpose of angling, into several large basins. Falling from
these, over walls of gray stones, having appertures formed for the
discharge, it forms many pleasing cascades. Cottages among the wood,
and mills at the verge, add to the picturesqueness of this charming
road, whose projector, and executor, deserves unusual praise for
his public spirit in bringing a new road, through such delightful
In making this road, an iron dagger, and some iron heads of spears,
were found, covered to the depth of three feet beneath the surface
by small stones. About one mile South from the valley, on a rising
ground, is a large barrow, 196 feet in circumference, in which an
urn of coarse baked earth, full of bones and ashes, was discovered
by some labourers, who were preparing the ground for a plantation.
- The urn fell to pieces, on endeavouring to take it up; its circumference
was four feet, three inches. It was covered with a piece of yellowish
free-stone, much corroded, on which the following lines, forming
part of a Roman inscription, were legible:
GELL / PRÆ C. III / L. V. BRIT
which has been thought to signify: Gellius Præfectus Cohortis
Tertiæ Legionis Victrices Britannicæ. The finding
a rough stone with a Roman inscription, covering an urn in a barrow,
is, perhaps, the only instance of the kind upon record".
In the Deanery of Ashbourne.
Hamlet in the parish of Marston-on-Dove, together
with Hatton (Hattune) and Horne.
In the Deanery of Castillar.
"anciently Horsilei, contains the hamlets of Horsley
Woodhouse, and Kilburne. "The church was given by
Hugh de Burun, (whose ancestor Raphe, was Lord of the manor at the
Norman survey) to the Monks at Lenton in Nottinghamshire: So that
there was a church here before the time of king John [i.e. before
1199]: For the barony
of Burun was given by him to William Briever." The living of
Horsely is a vicarage; the church is dedicated to St. Clement ; and
the Earl of Chesterfield the patron.
"At Horsly formerly stood a Castle, called Horsetan,
Harestan. It was built as early as the beginning of the thirteenth
century. For in the sixteenth year of king John, William Ferrer's,
Earl of Derby,was constituted governor of it. In the thirty-fifth
year of the following reign, Peter, de Montfort, and five years afterwards
Hugh Despencer, enjoyed this honor. In the thirteenth year of Edward
I. John Pipard had a grant of it for life. In the eighth year of
Edward II., Sir Ralph Shirley was governor of Horston castle; and
in the twenty-first year of the succeeding reign (Edward III.) Henry,
nephew to Thomas earl of Lancaster; created earl of Derby, obtained
a grant to himself and the heirs male of his body, of this fortress
with the annual rent of £40. issuing out of the town of Derby.
John de Holland, third son of Thomas, earl of Kent, in the fifteenth
year of Richard II. had a grant of Horseton castle for life. In the
thirty-fifth year of Henry VI. Edmund Hallam, earl of Richmond, died
possessed of the castle and lordship of Horeston. In the year 1514,
the castle of Horeston and manor of Horsley were granted, in special
tail, to be held by the service of one knight's fee, by Henry VIII.
to the duke of Norfolk. They were part of the reward, which was bestowed
on him for the very important service, which he had rendered the
king during his expedition into France, having prevented the incursion
of the Scots, and defeated them at Flodden, near the Cheviot hills.
On this remarkable occasion one archbishop, two of his bishops, four
abbots, James IV. king of Scotland, and about ten thousand men were
slain, and their whole artillery taken. Upon the attainder of the
son of the duke of Norfolk, these possessions most probably escheated
to the crown, and were granted to some of the Stanhope family. At
least Thomas Stanhope was possessed of the castle in the tenth year
of queen Elizabeth. At what time it was destroyed, I have not been
able to discover: At present a very small part of the ruins is visible.
The scite of it belongs to the earl of Chesterfield." "
In the Deanery of Derby.
Hamlet in the parish of Horsley in the Deanery of Derby.
Notes on the above:
 Edward I reigned 1272-1307; Charles
I reigned 1625-1649 ; Charles II reigned 1649-1685 - he was in
exile, apart from a brief spell, until 1660.
 Robert Eyre, Esquire. Robert Eyre died
21 May 1459 and Joahne his wife died 9 May 1464.
 Whilst not mentioned by Davies, according to the Lysons
the chapelry of Hayfield contained the townships of Chinley, Bugsworth
and Brownside as well as Great-Hamlet, Phoside and Kinder. Also part
of Thornsett, the remainder being in the chapelry of Mellor.
 Although Davies does not list them, the
Lysons record the following townships under the parish of Hope just
a few years later in 1817: Abney, Aston, Fernilee, Highlow, Great
Hucklow, Little Hucklow, Offerton, Shatton, Stoke, Thornhill, Thornton.
An Ann Andrews book transcript