Images Index> Matlock Dale> This page
Matlock Dale: St. John's Church, Cliff Road (2)
Matlock Dale: Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
 
St. John's Church, Cliff Road, Matlock Dale
Matlock Dale
Next Image
Previous Image
More Matlock Bath Pictures
18th & 19thC
"Just" Images
Matlock Dale
General Info
About Matlock
Find a Name

Churches & Chapels



Past Matlock & Matlock Bath photographers




St. John's (1)



St. John's (2)



Interior of St. John's



St. John's Church peeps out from amongst the trees on the hillside above the row of cottages and houses in Matlock Dale on the two sepia images below. The top postcard is the later of the two as there is an extra terrace of houses, Charnwood Terrace, in the row below the church.

However, in early 1912 some of the people who lived in the Common Wood cottages had a narrow escape when there was quite a serious landslip at about 6 o'clock in the morning[1]. The Derby paper reported that the affected area of the Dale "is situated well above the main roadway. ... Four villa residences stand perched on the hillside below the Dale Church-road and it was the embankment above the houses [that] gave way", with the damage extending to about 20 feet in length. "Tons of masonry crashed into the rear of the houses occupied by Messrs. Frank Buckley and G. T. Smith and other parts of the embankment were pushed out of position".


St. John's Church, Cliff Road


It was still dark when the landslip occurred and George Talbot Smith, a book keeper working for a Matlock ironmonger, had been asleep. He heard a terrific crash, found a light and went downstairs to discover two large pieces of rock in his kitchen and the back door on the table. His neighbour, Frank Buckley, was just going to work; if he'd left by the back door a minute earlier he might have been crushed to death. "Mr. Ernest Taylor, the owner of the houses, said the accident was partly due to wet weather and partly due to some heavy traffic on the Dale Church road".



Enlargement of part of the second image, showing the houses of Common Wood..

1. St. John's Church, Cliff Road, Matlock". Postcard published by Charles Colledge, Smedley Street, Matlock. Unposted.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
2 and 3. "St. John's Church, Matlock Bath", published by C. Colledge, Stationer, Matlock. Printed in Germany. Unposted. In the collection of and provided by and © Ken Smith. Images scanned for this website by and © Ann Andrews.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.

References:

[1] "Derby Daily Telegraph, 18 January 1912. An early morning sensation. Narrow Escape.