the Parish - over 120 years ago : an extract from Kelly's 1891 Directory
"Matlock is an extensive parish in the Western division of the county
[Derbyshire], hundred and county court district of Wirksworth,
petty sessional division of Wirksworth, Bakewell union, rural
deanery of Bakewell, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell.
Matlock Old Town is half a mile south east of Matlock Bridge station
on the Midland railway, 148½ miles from London, 16½ miles north-by
west from Derby, 10 south-west-by-south from Chesterfield, 10 south-east
from Bakewell, 10 from Belper, 4 north-by north-east from Wirksworth,
66 from Rugby, 46 from Leicester, 23½ from Loughborough, 32 from Nottingham,
65¼ from Lincoln, 164 from Bath, 59 from Birmingham, 107 from Cheltenham,
69½ from Leeds, 294¾ from Edinburgh, 56 from Melton, 40¾ from Sheffield,
49¾ from Doncaster and 83¾ from York.
The parish is divided into several districts or localities, the principal
of which are Matlock Bath, Matlock Bank, Matlock Bridge and Matlock
Town and Green. The trustees of the late William Pole Thornhill esq.
and others are trustees for the copyholders, who are lords of the
manor. The landowners are Frederic Charles Arkwright esq. J.P. of
Willersley, Samuel Smith esq. the Rev. Charles Wolley-Dod M.A. of
Edgehall, Malpas, and numerous freeholders. The land is chiefly pasture;
soil and subsoil limestone and gritstone.
The area in acres is 4,491 acres of land and 48 of water; rateable
value £31, 977; the population in 1861, including Matlock
Bath, Matlock Bank, Matlock Bridge, Riber, Scarthin Nick and Starkholmes,
was 4,252, in 1871 was 5,220 and in 1881 was 6,093".
- for information on: The Manor of Matlock | Nineteenth century expansion,
population and councils | Matlock in the Domesday Book
| Matlock Bank & Moor
Matlock Bank, from Riber
Matlock Bank spreads across
the steep hillside, rising to quite an altitude! Anyone
walking up the hill from the bottom for the first time
will find it quite a climb. At the centre is Smedley
Street, a long street crossing the hillside from east
to west. Smedley Street had been called called Old Hackney
and Roome Head Lane (see Smedley
map) but was later
named after John Smedley, the mill owner, hydro pioneer
and later castle builder. His single mindedness and idealism
put Matlock Bank on the map as little existed on the
Bank before the railway line opened and Smedley began
building. What he started in the town, others emulated.
So the hydro building, and the subsequent popularity
of the various treatments, was responsible for the massive
development of this part of the town. J. B. Firth, writing
in 1908, said: "Fifty or sixty years ago Matlock
Bank was a bare expanse with few houses".
To modern residents and visitors this may be hard to
believe. However, Kelly's Directory of 1848 described
Matlock Bank as "a hamlet in this parish" [Matlock]
and Francis White, in his Sheffield Directory of 1862,
said the Bank contained "many scattered houses".
Smedley's Hydro, now the County Hall, became very famous
and a was hugely successful enterprise; it was the largest
hydropathic establishment of the many in Matlock. At
one stage in the town's history there were some twenty
hydros where people could stay and be (hopefully) cured
from their various ailments. This was the place to go
for your health cure in Victorian England and hydropathy
brought business and prosperity, though not to all.
In their heyday almost all of the large Hydropathic
Establishments of Matlock were to be found on the Bank.
Some sixteen lodging houses and apartments complemented
the hydros, providing cheaper accommodation for visitors.
These including the Duke of Wellington Public House
and the Gate Inn and Livery Stables. There were and
still are shops to support the Bank's community on the
Smedley Street, many close to Smedley's Hydro, though
there are fewer of them these days than there were when
hydropathy treatments were in fashion.
Addresses included in Matlock Bank are Lime Tree Hill (named
after a very
long lived tree), The Dimple, Jackson Road, Rutland
Street and Wellington Street. Matlock Moor goes on from Matlock
Bank, along the top of the hill towards Chesterfield. Bank Road,
formerly known as Dob(b) Lane, goes straight down from Smedley
Street to Crown Square and Matlock Bridge, the centre of the
The oldest house on the Bank is the stone built Wellfield
Cottage, which is Grade 2 listed. The lintel over the
square headed doorway gives the date of 1667 as well
as some initials.
The two photographs at the bottom of this section
show the view from Crown Square looking up Bank Road
and shows how steep the road is. Little wonder that in
the nineteenth century Job Smith thought a tramway was
a good idea as a means for people to get up and down
from Smedley Street to Crown Square and Matlock Bridge.
Matlock was the home of the steepest tramway in the world,
which ran for over thirty four years.The large stone
building on the left of the photo used to be the main
part of the Crown Hotel, but the hotel has moved slightly
in recent years.
"MATLOCK BANK - situated on the sloping
side of a lofty eminence about half-a-mile to the east [of
Matlock Bridge], is the creation of the second half of the
present century. Fifty years ago a cottage or two were the
only habitations on the hillside where now stand many palatial
buildings and handsome villas. Here HYDROPATHY, as now practised,
had its earliest home. Its initial stage was on a very limited
scale; but from this mean and insignificant beginning has
arisen perhaps the largest and most magnificent hydropathic
establishment in the world".
"History, Topography and Directory
of Derbyshire" (1895) by T. Bulmer and Co,
(Contributed by Sonia Addis-Smith)
Hydropathic Establishments in 1891
Was Red Tape at Smedley's Hydro Then"
Also on this website see:
Saints' School & Ernest Bailey Grammar School
Historical Records for trade directories and census returns
Hydro - "Watered-Down Future for a glorious icon
of the age of the hydro"
Darley is the parish adjacent to Matlock Bank : Hackney
and Hackney Lane are in Darley.
1891 Directory of Darley
Whilst the principal employers in Matlock Bank and Matlock Moor
were the hydropathic establishments, the lodging houses and community
of small shopkeepers, there were a few others who advertised in
Kelly's 1908 Directory.
George Drabble, the timber merchant, lived at The Limes; H.
Hand & Son, jobmasters, were at the Gate livery stables;
John William Wildgoose, the builder and contractor, was on Rutland
street; the premises of William Hy. Potter, the hosiery manufacturer,
were on the Dimple and Hurd, Sons & Co., nurserymen, were at
the Portland Grange nurseries.
The Regiment known as the Sherwood Foresters (Derbys Reg) were
based in Matlock Bank in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
Matlock had a Town Crier in 1891; Robert J. Staniford, who lived
on Smedley Street, was listed as a Public Official  and
he was still in the post eight years later.
Bank Road, formerly Dob Lane, from Crown Square, 1999.
The lower part of Bank Road was included under Matlock Bridge
in old Trades Directories.
The same view in 2013.
The railings and ugly bollards have gone, though not the cars.
| Matlock Bridge
Matlock Town Hall was originally Bridge House.
The building has been considerably altered.
Matlock Bridge developed
from a small hamlet into the town's business area, centred
around the mediaeval stone bridge that spans the River
Derwent. Snitterton Road, Bakewell Road, Dale Road, Crown
Square and the bottom part of Bank Road are traditionally
part of Matlock Bridge, though these days it is not easy
to see where Matlock Bridge ended and Matlock Bank began.
This, historically, was one of the few crossing points
along the length of the river. The County Bridge, which
was widened in 1904, dates from the fifteenth century and
has four arches.
It has been one of the many Derbyshire scenes favoured
by artists over the centuries and there is a painting,
Bridge at Matlock", by the renowned English artist
Joseph M. W. Turner (1775-1851).
The railway station
is at Matlock Bridge, though it is
now at the end of the line from Derby. In its heyday the
line was part of the Midland Railway and trains stopped
at the station en route for London and Manchester. It all
began in 1849 when the Midland Railway Co. opened a branch
line that went from Ambergate to Rowsley, with stations
at Matlock Bridge and Matlock Bath. This was later extended
further and went as far as Manchester. In 1891 the station
manager was John Ashton, but by 1908 he'd been replaced
by Joseph Henry Clarke.
It was as a direct result
of the railway line and the station that Matlock expanded
into the town we know today. There was more space for development
here than there was in Matlock Bath and the small hamlets
and clutch of houses became part of the modern town.
A Market Hall, with Assembly Rooms above it, was opened
on Dale Road in 1868. By 1908 the market was held in the
lower portion of the building every Friday and Saturday.
Matlock still has its market, but nowadays it isn't on
Dale Road. Also to be found on Dale Road at the end of
the nineteenth century was Robert Alfred Harker. He was
a chemist and druggist and advertised "Harker's Compound
Balsamic Cough Elixir, Quinine and Iron Tonic, Teething
and Cooling Powders, three well-tried medicines which should
be kept in every house".
Just over a hundred years ago there were a variety of
industries that are no longer in the town.
Employers in Matlock Bridge included Thomas Beck, the
stone merchant, Thomas Boden, coal & coke merchant
and Walter Drabble & Co. Ltd., (lead mine owners) who
were based at Station yard; Constable, Hart & Ltd. were
operating Cawdor Quarries (Norman Hart was the manager)
Greatorex & Son were tar paving contractors
and quarry owners based on Dale Road; Hall & Co.were
also on Dale Road; the Matlock & District
Gas Co., (Robert Hall F.S.A.A.was the secretary and Thomas
Brown the manager) had works on Darley Road and the Singer
Sewing Machine Co. Ltd. (whose agent was Charles Herbert
Buckley), were on both Smedley Street & trading in
the Market Hall.
Hotels in Matlock Bridge have also changed considerably
over the years but the old buildings of the Crown,
the Old English (more recently known as the Cromwell Hotel)
and the Boat House remain. The Crown and
the Boat House were well established before hydros were
even thought of.
Shops have changed use as owners have come and gone.
Half a century ago there was The Manchester Stores on
Dale Road which sold linens; it is now a restaurant. Marsdens was
a drapers/clothiers and school outfitters where the little
boys went with their mother to be fitted with a best suit
in the gentleman's section. Gone, too, from Dale Road
is the Picture Palace Cinema and Hunter's. Burgon's, Orme's
and the Derwent Valley Co-Operative Society have disappeared
from Crown Square.
Dale Road was developed in the nineteenth century; the
Firs Parade shops were built by the local firm of Wildgoose
in the twentieth. Woolworth's caused quite a stir when
they opened their store on the corner in the 1950s.
Towards Matlock Bridge © Ann Andrews.
This was taken
from Bank Road looking down towards Crown Square and the bridge,
which is approximately in the centre of the picture. The white
building on the far side is on Dale Road and the railway line,
which actually goes into a tunnel, is just below the fields,
with the station off to the right.
Records - directory entries and census returns
Lido, "Liquidating a Former Tourist Asset"
In 1891 the proprietress of Brown's Temperance
Hotel on Dale Road was Miss Harriett Marriott.
The establishment she ran was not licensed as no alcohol would have
been available for guests to drink at a Temperance Hotel. This was
the only Hydropathic Establishment advertising in this part of Matlock
in that year. A few years later John Taylor was its proprietor and
had become the Trevelyan.
|During the nineteenth century there were Temperance
Leagues and Societies and a Temperance Movement flourished throughout
the United Kingdom. The Oxford English Dictionary gives an early
example of the Temperance Movement as early as 1836. Matlock
was one of many towns to have a Temperance Hotel; it meant that
no alcohol was served on the premises.
See transcripts of more Matlock
Bridge entries in Kelly's
1891 Directory | Kelly's 1895
Directory | Kelly's 1899 Directory
Picture Palace Cinema on Dale Road was the first cinema
It was closed and rebuilt during
the summer of 1928.
|Painted sign for Frisby's shoe
shop (left), on the side of the shop building.
at the end of Dale Road outlasted the shoe shop.
For many years this was Boots, the chemist. Up until the early 1950s
there was a lending library in the back of the shop.
This building, at the junction of Holt Lane and Snitterton Road, used
to house the Post Office.
See: Lindsey and Mary
Hodgkinson of Holt Lane.
The shop on the ground floor became the
florists run by John Wildgoose.
| The Hall Leys Park
Summer 2013, looking down the length of the park
past the fountain towards the bandstand, with Riber Castle on the hillside above.
Mr Henry Knowles offered, in February 1898,
to transfer to the public the fields known as the Hall Leys
and in June of that year the Council gave £500 towards
the project .
This became a public park, with gardens, promenade, Band
Stand and eventually tennis courts, boating lake, bowling,
and a children's play area - including a paddling pool and
miniature railway along the riverbank.
Until 1926 there were three shops between the Park
and Crown Square but these were demolished. The tram shelter
was moved from the middle of Crown Square to its present
position following the Council's decision to stop
running the tram.
See Bank Road &
the Steep-Gradient Tramway
The Bandstand is in the centre of the park. Matlock's Brass
Band have performed here on countless occasions.
Brass Band website
onsite information about the band
The small maker's plate on the Bandstand states that it
was made by Lion Foundry, Kirkintilloch. Colin Goodwyn has
said that If you go to Kirkintilloch and look in their park,
as he has did one evening some years ago, you may be surprised
to see an identical Band Stand to the one on the Hall Leys,
though in a somewhat better condition. This suggests that,
if that town used that particular design themselves, then
it must have been the best one that the foundry could supply
and that the design Matlock purchased was therefore the "top
At the end of the path is the footbridge across the
river to Dale Road, which has two plaques on it showing the
levels flood water reached in the 1960's. The flood water
would have covered the floor of the Bandstand.
There is more
information about the floods.
| Matlock Green & Matlock
Town (Old Matlock)
Matlock Town is the older
part of the parish and the oldest buildings are here. It is
now a quieter part of the town. On the green beside the church
is a lovely stone house that dates from 1681; it was originally
Wheatsheaf Farm but has been both a pub and a pottery in the
past. The Old Rectory is on Church Street and dates from the
late 18th century.
The ancient church of St Giles is here
too, next to the Wheatsheaf, on the hill going up the from
Matlock Green towards Starkholmes. The church overlooks
Matlock Dale. Amongst all the local people buried in the
churchyard are a number of tombstones commemorating those
who did not survive their treatment in the various Hydros
(this can also be said of the gravestones at Holy Trinity
Matlock Bath). The list of Rectors spans many centuries;
the earliest named was alive in 1300. The Matlock War Memorial
is also here, and is positioned with a commanding view of
the modern town.
Matlock War Memorial
Mr. Arkwright of Willersley was listed amongst the residents
of Matlock Town as Willersley is within the parish, although
it received its mail through Cromford.
A Trades Directory of 1908 recorded that 'many of the old
[lead] mines have been reopened and are being worked mainly
for the spar'.
Also on this website see:
Records: directory entries and census returns
Matlock Green is in the valley below Matlock
Town and with Lime Tree Hill and Matlock Bank rising up on
the other side. This is where the corn mills and bleach works
of Lumsdale join the town, as the road from central Matlock
(Causeway Lane) passes through towards Matlock Cliff and then
|In 1857 fairs were
held in Matlock on February 25th, April 2nd, May 9th, July
6th and October 4th and 24th.
At that time, the weekly market had been "obsolete" for
about forty years although it was "the intention of the
inhabitants to re-establish it". A cattle market was held
every alternate Thursday at Matlock Green though by 1932 the
cattle market was only held occasionally.
During the second world war this had changed slightly: "the
Matlock and District Agricultural Society organise several
cattle and produce shows each year".
Horses had been sold at the Matlock market, at the annual May
fair on 9th May, which was held in a large field by the roadside
(now a petrol filling station). The sale of cattle moved to
Green from Riber
"Most of us know its name, if only for the Castle which crowns
this great hill, a landmark 850 feet above the sea ; but it is worth
knowing for itself, for the charm of its old stone houses and its
magnificent prospect, from Matlock at its feet to far-flung hills
Riber Castle, 2008
The ruin of Riber Castle, a Grade II listed building built by
John Smedley in 1862, dominates the town of Matlock; it is perched
on the edge of the hill above Starkholmes, very high up. The
building won't be a ruin for much longer, though, as it is currently
being restored and converted into flats.
|John Smedley was the owner of the largest
hydropathic establishment in Matlock and built the Castle as
a home for himself and his wife. It was built on a grand scale
and the Castle's salon was vast. Built very quickly, the castle
was constructed of massive blocks of local gritstone taken
from a quarry near the castle and Smedley was the sole architect.
Smedley employed skilled craftsmen. Plasterers, for example,
came from Italy to work on the Castle. He also bought good
quality materials. For example, some of the ceramic tiles used
were made by Maw & Co.. There was electricity and gas,
plus a deep well for water.
John and Caroline Smedley,
from a photograph by the
The picture was published in
Famous Derbyshire Health
The Matlocks, about 1892
Mrs. Caroline Smedley continued to live
at Riber Castle after her husband died, though the building
has since been used for a variety of things, including a
boys' school owned by a Reverend John William Chippett, previously
of Harrogate. It became a food store during WW2 and this
proved disastrous for the building. It was later used as
Riber itself is a small hamlet near the castle; it is 798
feet above sea level and this rises to 928 feet.
Riber was the property and residence of the Wolley family
for several centuries and there is an altar tomb dated 1578
in St. Giles' church that is dedicated to Anthony Wolley
of Ryber, Agnes (his wife) and six children. The Wolley family
were long livers, as the tombstone of Adam Wolley (1558 -1657)
and his wife Grace (1559 - 1669) that is also in St. Giles'
shows. This couple were married for 76 years and lived at
Allen-hill in Matlock. The Wolley's were important people
in Matlock's history and their family papers, and other documents
collected by Adam Wolley are listed among The Wolley Manuscripts.
MIs in Matlock's Parish Church
of Wolley of Riber
of Darley Abbey, descendants of the Wolleys
of Allen Hill.
It was another Anthony Wolley, a bachelor, whose sisters
sold the stone built family home (now Riber Hall) to Thomas
Statham after his death in 1669. Then, in 1724 the co-heiresses
of the Chappell family, who then owned it, divided it into
two moieties (note: moiety means half). In Lysons' time Joseph
Greatorex lived in the left half as you face the building
and members of the Wall family in the right.
The half Mr. Greatorex lived in was later owned by George Allen
and then the Sellors family. It more recently was a first class
hotel and restaurant although this has now closed.
Riber Manor House, which used to be Riber Old Hall, has
a date stone of 1633 with the letters G.W. M.W. It is easy
to confuse this as meaning Wolley but the W was
for Walker and their home was later lived in by the Jaques
and Cotterill families. In the late 19th century the Marts
were at Riber Old Hall and half of Riber Hall was shown as
still being inhabited by the Walls.
(Harston) was the "property of a yeoman
named Statham" in the late 1800s
There was supposed to have been the remains of a Druidical
altar on Riber hill. It was mentioned by Peter Davies (1811) and
Ebenezer Rhodes (1824),
amongst others. Rhodes and his companion
walked along "the side of the hill to Riber Top, where
there is a singular assemblage of stones, supposed to have
been originally a druidical altar; some antiquaries say,
a cromlech, which appears more probable; they are called
the Hirst Stones and are not unworthy of a visit but
it was destroyed less than a decade later.
It is possible Benjamin Bryan was referring to the Hirst Stones when
he wrote the following in an article for the Derbyshire
Archaeological Journal:: "This outcropping of rock
was, I believe, the base of ancient stone monument about which
I am writing ; but it has been removed. That this removal has
been effected within some recent period is evidenced by the fact
that the wall has never been thoroughly repaired at the spot
where the rock clearly crops up".
On the hillside below Riber, Starkholmes overlooks Matlock Bath but
is only connected to that village by a steep footpath near the
railway station. The footpath and the land on either side of
it is the only access to Matlock Bath from that side of the
valley and a footbridge over the River Derwent is at the lower
end of the path. In July 1882 a resolution was passed to construct
a road between Starkholmes and Matlock Bath, but this has never
been implemented. There is a steep road (Riber Road) connecting
Starkholmes with the hamlet of Riber.
Starkholmes from the top of Holme Road, Matlock Bath,
Starkholmes follows the line of the old road that connects Matlock
Green with the village of Cromford. In 1848 Starkholmes was described
as then being "a district of scattered houses in this parish
[Matlock]. Here is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists". In
1905 the Fox Memorial Primitive Methodist chapel was built at Starkholmes.
For many years the children of the village attended the National
School in Starkholmes.
One of the few stories to emerge from nineteenth century newspapers
about Starkholmes occurred in 1845 when various newspapers carried
a story about "An Ancient Bridegroom and Bride".
Samuel Fox of Starkholmes married Mrs Martha Botham. "The
united ages of the loving couple amounted to 135 years".
It was clearly considered unusual for the times.
For many years a father and son, both named George James Eaton,
both Fishing Tackle Manufacturers and keen fly fishermen, lived
at Starkholmes. In the mid nineteenth century they provided advice
about the fishing conditions on the Wye and Derwent rivers to The
Field and their articles were reproduced in numerous newspapers.
Starkholmes and Ward's End from the Heights of Abraham. High
Tor is bottom left
| Matlock Cliff
The area known as Matlock Cliff goes from Matlock Green towards the
village of Tansley and became part of the parish of Tansley in 1865.
St. Andrew's Home, run by the Church of England Waifs' & Strays'
Society as an orphanage, was in Ernest Bailey's former home on Matlock
Also see Ernest
Bailey's - one of The Local Schools
Records: directory entries and census returns.
a look at Kelly's 1891 Directory
a look at Directory of Tansley 1891
The corn mills and bleach
works of the district were in located in Lumsdale. This
was an industrial area of Matlock, where most of the population
of Tansley were employed at one time and is now an industrial
archaeology site of some note. This small area supported
some seventeen or so mills at one time, the earliest probably
dating from the seventeenth century. They were able to operate
because of the water power generated by one small stream,
the Bentley Brook, that runs through the Lumsdale valley
and which falls about eighty feet. Weirs and ponds were constructed
in the very steep hillside so the mills could operate and
some of these are still intact, though the mills set into
the hillside are in ruins. Apparently, in winter time, when
the waters were high, some mills were unable to operate because
there was too much power!
Lumsdale is describes as '1½ miles east from Matlock.
Here are three bleach works and a cotton spinning factory,
all of which are in Tansley'.
Matlock Mills, in Lumsdale, advertised its use of water & steam
The proprietor of this mill was the miller Ernest Henry Bailey,
who was also a dealer in barley, oats, Indian corn and linseed
Before 1800 there had been lead smelting works in Lumsdale
(see Lead Mining and Lumsdale,
about 1900). The steep valley supported cotton, tape,
paper, saw mills etc. and there was even a small railway
that carried the cotton between what was the Upper Bleach
Mill and Garton's Mill. The tracks can still be seen.
The names of several families, Garton, Radford, Farnsworth
and Drabble, dominated the ownership the industries in the
valley during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Several
generations of the Garton family lived in Lumsdale in the
nineteenth; they were there for almost a hundred
years, owning a bleach works (Garton's Mill) and barytes
manufacturing business as well as being farmers. In 1870
the Derby Mercury reported that Mr. Garton had given all
his workforce a roast beef dinner. The article went on to
say that "Mr
Garton kindly pays all his workpeople their wages for Christmas
and Good Friday, which has been a custom at these works for
more than half a century".
When Joseph Hodgkinson, the Matlock auctioneer, advertised
the auction of Edward Hall Garton's Lumsdale Estate in 1906
it included a farm of about 25 acres, and 14 Lots
of property, made up of accommodation, land, cottages, the
bleachworks in the Lumsdale, formerly occupied by the late
Mr Garton (by then leased to the Farnsworths),
together with the valuable water-power connected with the
1929 Paton & Baldwins bought the Farnsworths'
bleaching and dyeing mills but
in 1936 about 80 employees were made redundant, mostly men
who had worked at the Mill for 40 years.
After the Second World War the company announced it would
continue to make angora yarn at its two Matlock Mills.
The Radfords were at Tansley Wood Mills as bleachers, candlewick
manufacturers and cotton spinners. They were followed by
Arthur K Baines & Co.,
and then Robert Lowe. Frederick
Henry Drabble then leased the site, eventually buying it, and
four generations of Drabbles kept the Mill running. They were
bleachers, dyers and wool and waste merchants. Drabbles Mill
eventually closed - after 110 years in Lumsdale - in 1999,
shortly after it changed its name. It had many loyal employees
during its existence; their long service must have meant they
were happy at Drabbles.
The mill buildings in the upper part of the valley became
derelict and the valley was neglected until Mrs.
Marjorie Mills stepped in and purchased it in 1939. She did
not have the resources to take care of the land or restore
the buildings, but it is thanks to her that the derelict
buildings have survived as she refused permission
to demolish them and allow the stone to be used for other
purposes. There is a Lumsdale project group today, made up
of Lumsdale residents and members of the Arkwright Society
and under the Arkwright Society's umbrella, which is concerned
with preserving and restoring the valley.
When a Russian delegation visited Matlock some years ago
they were particularly interested in both Matlock Bath's
Masson Mill beside the River Derwent and Lumsdale.
Waterfalls on the mill stream, Lumsdale
As the photographs show, the densely wooded valley is very picturesque.
Lumsdale, originally in the parish of Matlock,
became part of the parish of Tansley in 1865.
Town and Green Residents, 1891
1891 Directory of Tansley
see the Historical Records
Photographs kindly provided by and © Paul
Kettle, Andy Andrews, Ann Andrews and Susan Tomlinson.
Information researched by and written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only
links go to on site transcripts):
 Firth, J. B. (1908) "Highways
and Byways in Derbyshire" MacMillan & Co., London
 "General Commercial Directory
and Topography of the Borough of Sheffield with all the Towns, Parishes,
Villages and Hamlets Within a Circuit of Twenty Miles" (1862),
pub. Francis White & Co. Sheffield. See Names
in White's Directory, 1862
 The Crown Inn was rebuilt towards
the end of the nineteenth century, moved a few yards down the
road to the site on the corner of Bank Road and Bakewell Road and
re branded as The Crown Hotel. It had been a much smaller establishment
before then. The Crown was mentioned in both 19th
century directories and Matlock
census returns. The building has been considerably altered
in more recent times and is no longer an hotel. The Boat House
was mentioned by Adam in "Gem
of the Peak" and also appears in the early trade directories
and census returns.
 Bryan, Benjamin (1903) "History
of Matlock - Matlock, Manor and Parish" London by Bemrose & Sons,
Limited. Bryan made the same mistake as others when it came to Riber,
attributing the initials on the date stone on Riber Old Hall (now
Riber manor) to the Wolley family.
 White, Francis (1857) "History,
Gazetteer and Directory of the County of Derby", Francis
White & Co. See Names in White's
 Mee, Arthur (ed.) (1937) "Derbyshire:
The Peak Country",The King's England Series, Hodder and
Stoughton Limited, London
 Lysons, Rev Daniel and Samuel Lysons
Esq. (1817) "Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire" London:
Printed for T. Cadell, Strand; and G. and A. Greenland, Poultry.
This is the Derbyshire section of their "Magna Britannia". They
unfortunately quote the wrong year for Anthony Wolley's death as
the say he died in 1668. He was buried at St. Giles in 1669 (see
 See Riber Old Hall (now Riber Manor House)
1891 census and Riber Hall in the
1891 census and the 1901
 Davies, David Peter (1811) "History
pub. S. Mason, Belper. Derbyshire's
Parishes, 1811 is based on this book and what Davies wrote
can be found under Matlock.
 Rhodes, Ebenezer "Peak Scenery" pub.
London, Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, Paternoster
 Jewitt, Llewellynn Frederick William
(?1860) "The Matlock Companion and Visitor's Guide to the
Beauties of the Peak of Derbyshire ... " pub. Derby Telegraph
 "The Morning
5 July, 1845.
 Extract from "On
a Cromlech formerly standing on Riber Hill", Benjamin Bryan (1887),
Derbyshire Archaeological Society's Journal.
 "The Derby
Mercury", 19 January, 1870. The Garton surname can be
found in all the census returns 1841-1901 and
other Historical Records
Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser", 18 August 1906. To be sold
at auction by Joseph Hodgkinson at the Red Lion ... the Lumsdale
 "Derby Daily
Telegraph", 6 March 1931.
 "Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield
Herald", 08 May 1936. "Matlock had an unpleasant shock ..."
 "Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire",
1908 } There are online transcripts: 20th
Post Office Directory of Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire
and Rutlandshire" (1848), Kelly and Co., London
 "Kelly's Directory of the
Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland" (May,
1891), pub. London
|There are online transcripts: 19th
 "Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire",
1932 } -
 "Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire",
1941 } -