|Bonsall, the Water Fountain
The Water Fountain, opposite church at the bottom of Ember Lane,
is dedicated to Robert Clay of Nether Green House and has been restored
Although the original inscription is wearing, the plaque below repeats
ERECTED BY THE
PARISHIONERS OF BONSALL
TO THE MEMORY OF
ROBERT CLAY ESQRE OF
NETHER GREEN HOUSE
"Here are several handsome drinking
fountains". The fountain
shown above is particularly interesting to the web mistress
because of the dedication. Robert Clay is on her family tree;
as well as bringing water into the village he was also involved
with the restoration of the church in 1863.
Elsewhere on this web site:
in Kelly's 1891 Directory
1828-9 Directory, with Matlock, Matlock Bath and Darley includes Bonsall names
1831 Directory, with Matlock and Matlock Bath, includes Bonsall names
Directory, 1842, also with Matlock and Matlock Bath, includes
Image © Andy Andrews.
Written, reasearched by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.
 "Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire"
(1881), pub Kelly and Co., p.924