|The Cross, Bonsall (2)
Two more postcards of Bonsall's Cross at the Yeoman Street /
Church Street/High Street junction, unusually with nobody
sitting on the steps. The top picture, with the horse and
cart on the High Street (behind and to the left of the Cross),
could date from just before the first war whereas the lower
image which looks down Yeoman Street would have been taken
around 1900 or just a little later.
The shop signs are almost unreadable in the second picture,
but the double fronted shop to the right of the Cross was
Frederick Hartle's drapery. He and his family were living
at the Cross and he was working as a draper and clothier dealer
Mr. Hartle was the son of Abel Hartle and had been born in
the village in 1854. He married Margaret Kirkland at St. James
Church on 1 August 1881 and the couple moved to Nottingham
for a while. Their son was born there. The family had returned
to the village by 1891,
living at first on Clatterway but later moving to these premises.
Frederick acted as Surveyor of Highway at one time whilst his
son, Charles Frederick, became the Assistant Overseer And Rate
In 1926 the historian Thomas Tudor thought Bonsall was a "pretty
and secluded village with its stone built houses, ancient cross
and beautiful old church".
He added that Bonsall was originally part of the manor of
Metesford (Matlock) which was in the King's Field.
Over the centuries many of the village's inhabitants were
involved with lead mining.
Other historical industries were stocking making and comb making.
Just three years after Tudor's visit the Cross suffered
a minor calamity when a motor lorry ran backwards and hit its
base. Apparently, the lorry went on its way afterwards but
the enormity of what had happened became too much and
it stopped about a mile away, refusing to budge for the night.
Whether it was the lorry that was overcome with remorse, or
the driver, is unclear! Needless to say, the following day
officials were out with tape measures to assess the damage
and the repair bill was sent to the lorry's owners.
1. "Bonsall: The Cross". Celesque Series, Photochrom Co Ltd, London
and Tunbridge Wells, No. F.41918. All British production. Not posted.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
2. "Bonsall Cross". A. P. Co., 9 Bury Court,
St Mary Axe, London E. C., No 2588. Chromotyped in Saxony. Unused.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Judy Cooper.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.
 Mrs Louisa Young advertised as
a draper in Kelly's Directory 1912. In the 1911 census she
was a draper & boot dealer on Yeoman Street.
1891 Directory lists Frederick
Hartle, and is shown in the census for that year on Clatterway. He
was still on Clatterway in 1901. Frederick Hartle passed away
on 24 March 1928.
 Tudor, Thomas Linthwaite (1926) "The
High Peak to Sherwood, The hills and dales of old Mercia",
published London by Robert Scott
 Read about Lead
Mining in the Matlock section of this web site.
 "Derby Daily Telegraph",
15 November 1929. Village Cross Damaged.